World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you help. I'm looking to set up a fishing trip out to the Bass Rock for myself and two friends. We're beginners but are looking for any recommendations of skippers/boats.

Thanks

Newby

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
welcome to the site newby? i dont know that area, but give it some time, and someone will reply to you m8. hope you enjoy the forums?

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
the bass rock isn't worth a sook for fishing IMHO, i've fished it a few times from my own boat and just can't seem to find anything other than the odd small codling and a few ballan wrasse.

plus you are dodging all the gannet **** which is falling like rain.

to look at it it screams pollack, but we've tried everything from freelining ragworm to trolling jellies and redgills,

i think there is too many seals around it and any pollack or decent cod that ventures in gets scoffed

there is a boat at north berwick called "braveheart" who does trips, don't have a number though....sorry

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Gotta aggree with big-haddie on the bass rock, we had a works outing on "Braveheart" last year total caught was 3 fish for 8 guys fishing, and I had 2 of them.

Wasnt impressed with the skipper, the trip was expensive, and he didnt try to put us over fish. we sat for ages dodging gannet poo at the bass rock, none of us even got a bite :(

there are some good marks down north berwick way, but the bass rock aint one of them m8

·
Registered
408 Posts
Give the guys at Mikes Tackle in Portobello a call and they'll put you in touch with a skipper in Dunbar, you may even be able to get on one of their trips.
Has anyone tried anchoring near the rock? from the sounder readings I'd be surprised if there weren't some decent conger around.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
fish force,

the only conger i hear about is shore caught fish, i know guys who anchor, fish at night etc and get nowt, speak to divers at dunbar and st.abbs who dive the small bits of wreckage and they say they never see congers, plenty big catfish though, but you seldom catch any.

i'm going to try the isle of may at some point this year for pollack, seems to be alive with them by all accounts.

a trip to the wee bankie has been mooted too, but the weather would need to be very settled before a trip of those epic proportions is under taken.......18 miles out in a 15 foot boat??

·
Registered
408 Posts
Keep in touch then and I may join you, safety in numbers an' a' that..... I was thinking of the May as well, a few wrecks out that way too, some of which, the divers tell me, hold big conger and large shoals of pollack.
Touch wood, I should be heading out today for a few hours. Wind doesn't show any sign of dropping yet, not what was forecast, surprise that, eh, still it should be ok fairly close in.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Sold my Alaska last week and bought an Orkney Pilothouse 20, took her out for the first time yesterday down to Dunbar. Fishing was rubbish, 3 codling and 1 pollack but the water's been very coloured for a few weeks now.
I'm based in the Edinburgh area so most of my fishing is on the east coast but I make regular trips down to Luce Bay and intend to get back up to the Oban area as I haven't fished it for a few years.
Where are you based ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts