World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
currently looking for a beachcaster, but wondering whether to get a bass rod instead.
question is how do i know if its for fixed spool or multiplier? currently looking at a diawa supercast bass, but can't tell whether its fixed spool?? :g:
And the same question with the Abu Garcia 464 Ambassadeur Atlantic Surf 12ft 4, If it doesn't specify, does it mean its for use with both types of reel.

Finally can anyone send me a link/ explain the difference between all the different type of reel seats..

Thanks in advance,
Scott.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Just get a Supercast match F/S, you can then use it for both bass and other fish, I use my rough ground Supercasts on clean beaches as they can send a big bait out there with no issues,

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
The majority of rods sold as suitable for bass fishing tend to be 11 to 12 feet, and for 1 to 4 oz. I have the dIawa and a Conoflex Bass bandit, and I am happy to used either type of reel on both rods. Both rods are limited in "power" (I don't think power is the right word), with a CT multi the BB can hit 130 to140yds with a 90/110g weight, the Diawa is not quite as capable, which confirms the mfrs claims for their rod. My fixed spool reel is a Shimano 6000 size, I know the carp lads use 10000,even 12000 size, and have massive size 50/40/30/25/20 high standoff side rings and a 16 or 20 tip ring, which makes their carp rods soggy,and the huge reels they use do not help them, but they suffer from fashion more than we do, a bit like the ladies with the 6" heels! The biggest ring on the Diawa supercast bass is 25mm, on my BB the butt ring is a 30mm, both rod perform beautifully with the 6000 shimano, and both will outcast most carp rods, show bites better, and fight fish using the fine tip, with plenty in reserve if a lunker comes along. hope this helps, but it is your decision. For heavy bassing I use a conoflex "Frenzy", stupid name, but a great rod if you like light gear, it casts 5oz happily.

PTR

·
Registered
444 Posts
Most daiwa bass rods (there are a few in their range) are usually rung in such a way as to be capable of taking both FS and Multis. The supercast does have a very good reputation, in present and past guises. I have one of the bass rods from 2002 (which is now no longer available) which was rung for both. Landed a 11lb bass on it - good rods / good company. Never heard a bad word said about the Supercast bass rod either, and that is saying something !

·
Registered
444 Posts
I suppose it depends on how you'll be using this rod. To me, a bass rod is all about hand holding it, being mobile, and wading in the surf on shallow beaches, rather than bashing it out, and then sticking on a tripod, in which case (if hand holding) you want a light reel that feels right and balances well with the rod and works well with 12 to 15lb mono with perhaps a 30 to 40lb shockleader (tapered ones best for bass work in my view).

Personally, I use multipliers, and use a 5000 size abu mag. When I have used a Fixed Spool on the Daiwa bass rod, its been a 5000 bait runner sized reel, which is about right for it. If sticking it on tripod most the time, obviously you can go for something a tad bigger.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts