World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would just like to point out that the year classes for juvenile bass coming thru in the next few yrs are excellant classes. I think that the new proposals for bass size limit to be increased to 45cm is very controversial and would be much fairer to be increased gradually to a maximum of 40cm over a 6yr period.
We all must not forget that there are fishermen who rely on this to pay their bills and feed their families, to them its not a hobby but a living.
At present the bass size limits vary from country to country, and unless size limits are the same all round there will be very little benefit, as bass spawn in offshore waters, often outside the 12 mile limit where catches are permitted at 36cm.
It must be across the board for all to benefit and to do this would be very difficult.:fishing1:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
redgill you aint got a clue stick tomackerel fishing you dullard

·
Registered
173 Posts
WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH :nonono: :nonono: :nonono:

Bass is one of fish that can be farmed commercially and is done so very successfully. The amount taken by the recreational sport angler is nothing compared to the commercial fleet. If we as a nation take a step in the right direction the it can only be for the good and if others are inspired by this then all the better.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Wayne, bass can only be farmed to a limited size which is no where near the 36cm limit. I totally agree that the larger commercial fleets, which use high tech gear and fish on spawning grounds are really bad news for bad stocks. My view is why should the small commercial inshore fishing boats be penalised with a 45cm limit, where the bass spawning cycle starts under 39cm and the spawning classes are excellant for the forthcoming years. If the government put bass limits to 45cm all small commercial bass fishermans earnings would be down by at least 50%. In my view, the small commercial fisherman that I know feel that they cope with a gradual increase to 40cm, which is adequate for more than one spawning cycle.......it must be fair across the board or it will benefit no-one.

·
Registered
594 Posts
i have to be caerful what i say here, already got 4 infraction points, but i dont agree with that redgill, if it is brought to 45cm, it will be far better for the bass. and i know its a rearlly tricky thing to sort out, and i feel sympathy for the trawler fisherman( as long as their local), but if they cary on doing what they doing then they are going to put them self's out of a job!! I'm no expert on this subject, but i have thought about banning commercial fishing for bass, but how can you do that, by the time they sorted through the net they would be putting dead bass back! surley it would be better for them to lose a little bit know, than lose it all in the future?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi pikeman. yes you have some very good points there. But inshore fishermen can't make a living on 45cm bass. they could get by if it was gradually taken up to 40cm tho. An inshore commercial fisherman (rod n line) would struggle to catch within 8yrs what a trawler/netter would catch in one day!!It goes to show they have a 500 tonne a month quota within 12 miles offshore of our coastline, some within spawning grounds, where it has remained at 36cm as inshore limits goes up. no fairness in that. cheers pikeman, its simply my views

·
Registered
119 Posts
as bass spawn in offshore waters, often outside the 12 mile limit where catches are permitted at 36cm.
It must be across the board for all to benefit and to do this would be very difficult.:fishing1:
Dont think you know what you are on about.
Bass spawn off headlands in strong tide races in June usually within a mile of the shore ,the currents make the dispersion of milt and eggs easier.
If you are lucky you can catch the phenomenon at worms head.

The MLS needs to be bigger to enable the fish at least one breeding cycle.
I suppose you are one of the Burry port crew murdering everything they catch...

·
Registered
200 Posts
I would just like to point out that the year classes for juvenile bass coming thru in the next few yrs are excellant classes. I think that the new proposals for bass size limit to be increased to 45cm is very controversial and would be much fairer to be increased gradually to a maximum of 40cm over a 6yr period.
We all must not forget that there are fishermen who rely on this to pay their bills and feed their families, to them its not a hobby but a living.
At present the bass size limits vary from country to country, and unless size limits are the same all round there will be very little benefit, as bass spawn in offshore waters, often outside the 12 mile limit where catches are permitted at 36cm.
Maybe a gradual increase in size limits would benefit the smaller commercial fisherman. the real problem is the illegal trawlermen / gill netters and anyone selling fish of any size on the black market. foreign boats coming into our waters (anay waters) hoover up fish regardless of size. I speak from experience, having seen hundreds of tonnes of fish dumped dead at sea because of the wrong type / size or the quota has been exceeded. our government needs to go to brussells and work out real quota / fish sizes etc etc with all european countires signed up for it otherwise poor ol' britain will lose out. Our close relatives over the channel will happily eat everything that swims with regard of wheather there will be any left tomorrow.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi Wayne, bass can only be farmed to a limited size which is no where near the 36cm limit. I totally agree that the larger commercial fleets, which use high tech gear and fish on spawning grounds are really bad news for bad stocks. My view is why should the small commercial inshore fishing boats be penalised with a 45cm limit, where the bass spawning cycle starts under 39cm and the spawning classes are excellant for the forthcoming years. If the government put bass limits to 45cm all small commercial bass fishermans earnings would be down by at least 50%. In my view, the small commercial fisherman that I know feel that they cope with a gradual increase to 40cm, which is adequate for more than one spawning cycle.......it must be fair across the board or it will benefit no-one.
The present limit is BELOW that at which Bass first spawn.

asp.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi basstastic. Maybe your right , no doubt some do spawn there but in general they spawn in offshore waters march to april and the eggs are carried in by the tides. A small minority do spawn in inshore water, and like I say bass under 39cm will spawn at least twice if not caught. This has been proven, by fishery personel. p.s. I not a burry port man!!!I am just a fisherman like you all!!cheers

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dangler, yes thats exactly my point.thats why this problem needs to be sorted right across the board.The damage is being done out there in deep waters.cheers mate

·
Registered
78 Posts
Might not be a popular view but one thing I never have much sympathy for is when trawler men whinge about their living being affected by size limit increases or catch quotas being lowered , nobody's forcing them to fish for a living , 1000's of miners once lost their jobs because the coal was too expensive to mine, lots of factories have closed and most of the workers found work elsewhere why can't a few workers in the fishing industry retrain in other industries if they can't make a profit fishing?.

As they are now I believe the size limits are too small for bass and a few other fish and is proved by the decrease in cod numbers caught around S. Wales.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts