World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My PB Bass of nearly 12lbs had a whole soft spider crab in his belly, so when about 2 weeks ago a whole shedfull of local spiders all peeled together and some got washed up, I froze a few down and the following day found some outstanding also-legal-sized spider peelers which also got fozen ready for a good sesh.....

I've just taken delivery of a cracking Warrior 195 so with the forecast today it was time for her first proper run out.

No matter how hard I tried or how many of my classic crab-favourite spots I tried, could I get even a nibble....not one all day!!!

So out of sheer desperation I tried one of my big old Rapalas that has caught LOTS of good fish all over the World..... what do you know today was Rapala Day for the Bass......

No.1 35 cm.... only just bigger than the Rapala... so back he went, as did 2 and 3 less than 20 mins later....

10 minutes later..... a MUCH better fish....

....just over 5lbs on the new Berkeley Digital Scales from Mainwarings......and quickly followed by another good keeper of 43cm.

Then the bite seemed to die and no amount of tasty crab could entice a bite, so maxed out on some mackerel.

What REALLY hurt was when I got the big one home tonight and gutted him.... big belly I thought......

What's he been eating I thought, certainly not Spider Crab with what I've been offering all day.......

How wrong can you get.....sometimes you just don't understand!!!?

All the best, and a cracking day out too...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Fished Port eyenon a few weeks back and had jellies and peeler and not a sniff, the old fella to my right was fishing in a spot I gave up to move to more surf pulled a 6lb and 7lb out both on spider crab.

He was telling me when they moult the Bass target them whilst the spiders are soft (kind of a concerted effort whilst spiders are on the menu). The next few sessions I caught and took fish they both had spider crab legs and nothing else inside them! So to take a lure but to find soft spiders inside his gut is beyond explanation other than if the presentations good and they like the look of it, its on the menu!!

·
Registered
506 Posts
hell of a report that mate

Im diving early sunday followed by fishing, I know of a big spider haunt so will be heading down there to pick a load up before fishing!!!:bounce:

Im a bit gutted I left 3 really soft spiders in port-eynon the other day!:hammer:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Might be a stupid question but... How do u know if a spider crab is peeling... Same checks as a normal crab or some other method? Am out on a boat sunday for the first time so hoping to get some crab tomorow.

Manx

·
Registered
784 Posts
Might be a stupid question but... How do u know if a spider crab is peeling... Same checks as a normal crab or some other method? Am out on a boat sunday for the first time so hoping to get some crab tomorow.

Manx
good point mate,the old guy was telling me and army_warrior that they moult in one mass orgie

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, they do all seem to peel/moult at the same time in the same area. Down in S Pembs it was in the middle of July over about a 48 hour period. You'll she shedloads of empty shells all washed up in the same place. Amongst them will be quite a few softees that are weak and get washed up too and also a few peelers. Just like other crabs, pull an end segment off a leg and a new soft one will be underneath.
You have to be pretty quick getting them because the gulls are there quickly too and they soon die.

Anyone interested in a step-by-step guide to peeling a spider - slightly different to other crabs because of all the spikes and a membrane covering the inside shell?

·
Insane Poster
2,852 Posts
Cracking report and pics,, nice to see you getting a few on the plug too,,

·
Registered
314 Posts
Step by step seems good to me mate, would like to see how its done in case I come across any :D cheers!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts