World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was in Morrisons and saw they had Bass for sale.....but these bass are only ablot 10in long, and I noticed that they had been "Farmed" I for one have never heard about "Farming Bass" has anyone got ant info about this ?.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
I mentioned Morrisons' Fish on a now lost thread which included a mention of a fishery in North Wales that has Coarse fish pools, but is now using one pool for bass. Don't know if it's fresh or salt water but Sea Trout and Salmon seem to manage to acclimatise and you can catch Mullet and Flounders (as in YOU rather than ME!) quite far up rivers.

As far as I know this particular fishery, on the coast between Cricceth and Pwllheli is producing fish for 'market' but my point at the first time of writing was the possible prospect of being allowed to fly fish for them. What a wonderful way of making money. We pay to catch and return (a few times!) then when the mortgage needs paying you net a few out for Morrisons!

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,009 Posts
There is a fully operational bass farm in North Wales, or there was, i'm sure its still going though. We did a radio program there a few years ago, think I have some pics somewhere, might try and dig them out :)

I think the size limits of farmed bass would be pretty much "plate size" as they are specifically bread for eating.

Mike Jr

·
Registered
208 Posts
There isn't a limit on farmed as you say MikeJr just plate size, as the checky git i am i asked the fishmonger at morrison's in baglan. He too is a fisherman and hates selling them cos how many people will "think" its ok to take a small bass from the sea (in his own words).
I think he has a good point, but any farming of bass is good for us fishers. I just wished they would let them grow to a good size as these farmed bass grow faster than normal.
doggy

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have reservations about fish farming being good for us, the amount of sand eels being netted to make the high protien pellets to feed the farmed fish is having an impact on the wild fish and bird life, thousands of tons of sand eels are being caught and the puffin population has started to dwindle already, if this continues other species will begin to dwindle including fish, so is it good to farm fish or not???

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Excellent point made by gusangus about the sandeels. Also there are the problems highlighted by the salmon industry in Scotland. The first is the possibility that the bass will bioconcentrate toxins contained in the feed pellets, making them a health risk. Secondly, farming bass in the Mediterranean may ease the pressure on our local stocks, but will probably lead to environmental problems in the Med. Not good.
The real solution is a rational, sustainable fisheries policy.
Seems the Sea Fisheries Committees have two options. Catch the illegal bass fishers (plenty in my county), or police the sellers. The second option makes more sense as hotels and restaurants can't hide. One of their big guns told me a year ago that this is what they were going to do, but I'm not aware of any action being taken yet.
If anyone knows any different I'm sure we'd all love to know.

Rhod.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Rhod, once again it boils down to a grossly underfunded, & totally under appreciated Sea Fisheries Committee!
I'm sure they would love to have patrol boats out policing the netters, some of the rod anglers (fishmongers), hotels & resturaunts, but they have'nt got the manpower, or the budget to do it!
Can you imagine the uproar that the Education Cabinet Chair would make, if they said they were going to cut his budget by £10,000 p.a. to increase finance to the SFC!
Its all about priorities, WE see the work of the SFC as a high priority, 95% of the ratepayers dont know we have one, dont care whether we do or not, dont know or care what they do, & certainly dont know that they subscribe to it!
As somebody said on a thread yesterday "nobody will really care, until there is no more fish to go on the public plate, & then it will be too late" very sad, but alas very true I feel!
blueskip

·
Registered
303 Posts
quite aggree blue but what makes me mad is that Brown could find £75bn plus a few quid to send our lads to fight a war at the behest of some half wit cowboy the other side of the pond, It's time we got our priorities right, uk comes first, uk needs come first, and sod the rest. rant over.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Mike said:
The other day I was in Morrisons and saw they had Bass for sale.....but these bass are only ablot 10in long, and I noticed that they had been "Farmed" I for one have never heard about "Farming Bass" has anyone got ant info about this ?.
hi mike heard a radio prog a wile ago a farm in wales which had suffered from the foot and mouth got a eur grant 2 farm bass they converted a barn i think 2 rear bass i think at the time it was the first in uk i have seen them in morrisons also they look like they were born dead ...........just kiddin i hope they perfect it then may b people wont feel the need 2 take undersize fish.......

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,009 Posts
Welcome to the site everton :)

Was that program on Five Live? If so that was probably us that did that recording. It was an interesting place to visit, just to see how they do it. If I remember right they saw it been done in Greece and then thought they would try the business in the UK.

It's a great idea to preserve the bass, but as gusangus has said, it will still have a knock on effect with other species especially those used for the food like the sandeel

Mike Jr

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
I'm experimenting with Boilies as a sea bait (don't laugh, no peelers or lug/rag in Telford) Whilst hanging around the Carp stands at the NEC, all nonchalant see, trying to look like a coarse fisherman (alright, alright you at the back!) I started looking at the ingredients. One list particularly caught my eye (dangerous things these boilies) the two main ones were Cherry essence and, you've guessed it. GROUND DOWN SANDEELS!

Can't you see the headlines, "Carp anglers endanger Puffin Population!"

Seriously though it's not just our health that's at stake with an out-of-control food industry. You may, or may not, remember a discussion I had recently regarding the potting of Tons of Green shore crab from the Menai Straits. It started as a way of de-crabbing mussel beds at the behest of the Mussel men. Suddenly the same Spanish company who buy the mussels are wanting to buy (for cash no doubt!!) ALL the crab they can get. Two things:
1. The crab, it seems, is NOT destined for the fish pellet industry but for Human consumption in some guise or other.
2. The Pots have/are placed in ALL the best swims and the 'gear' is proving a perfect magnet for my fishing rigs - talk about 'dirty' bottom.

Essentially the local food chain is being upset and is resulting in modifying the human food chain Europe wide. Thank goodnes i'm not using too many boilies as I bet i'm interfering with a chicken food chain elsewhere (they are made from egg whites aren't they?)

·
Registered
88 Posts
i`m no expert but i thought bass was a very slow growing fish, so would that not make farming bass uneconnomical??????????

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
:confused: Could these bass not be released to help boost numbers in the sea?
How about the the comitees look into farming and releasing bass at strategic points?

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Hang on, I think Psychos' got something here why can't sand eels be farmed I know of a bit of land for a shed and maybe someone can point me in the right direction for an EU grant rest assured lads if I get it off the ground there will be a substantial discount on eels for bait for WSF members. On the subject of money I think if all 1900 of us chipped in say a tenner or fifteen quid we could probably pay a visit to a Russian Army Surplus store and pick up a couple of Exocetskis and maybe a 4" gun or two. Then we mount them on the old "Blueskip" and form our own fisheries patrol. Skip as skipper and we could volunteer to crew in turn. Obviously I would go first as I look good in Bell Bottoms and I've always fancied a tattoo of an anchor or something. So what say you guys, + Skip of course let's get proactive and go and hunt some Spanish trawlerman - don't forget there's no minimum size on those things.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts