They dont cut down to the bone. I've been spiked many a time by a bass

Woodster

·
Registered
66 Posts
jakeb said:
u cnt get ne fin frm it thou can u

If I have translated this right :confused:

Then no you can't catch anything from it, well nothing that you wouldn't catch from the water you're fishing through a scratch on your hand if you put it in the water.

·
Registered
235 Posts
jakeb m8 your frightening yourself at this rate u will never fish as u will be too scared of getting stung cut bit all manner of nasty things. just go out and enjoy your hobby sport whatever u want to call it OH WATCH OUT FOR THE BIG SPIDER CRABS THOUGH LOL only joking m8 just go and fish and enjoy it'.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Have been fishing on and off for about fifteen years and never hurt myself apart from pricking myself with hook points,and the occasional nip from ragworm but it doesn't hurt.
STOP WORRYING ABOUT HURTING YOURSELF as i have found that providing you do nothing stupid you have pretty much zero chance of hurting yourself.
And as for weavers never caught one and never seen one and i fish the south coast where there is supposed to be loads of them.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
where r u on the south coast i am in peacehaven which is between brighton and newhaven i mostly fish sandy beach like saltdean and newhaven but now i enjoy fishing rough ground down my local beach

·
Registered
158 Posts
i'm in london but fish anywhere from hurst point to sidmouth in devon mainly shingle beaches but grew up in bournemouth and never saw a weaver and rarely heard of any reported stings,fishings fun when your catching big or small.
Enjoy yourself mate.

·
Registered
235 Posts
poor jakeb the lad will be having nightmares (hahaha) go out and enjoy your fishing m8.
i live onthe south coast as well never seen weavers or caught any
i live in SELSEY.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I used to fish for Bass until I had my accident. I was gashed by the gill plate of a smallish fish in the skin between the thumb and index finger. I managed to stop the bleeding after about 3 hours and thought nothing more of it. 2 days later my hand started to swell up at a rate of knots. I was admitted to hospital with an unknown infection which resulted in me losing my left hand at the wrist. I cant advise you strongly enough to give up bass fishing immediately if you value your health. If you do heed this advice, please could you also try to convince as many other anglers, gill netters and pair trawlers to do the same. Thanks ;)

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
10lbseabass said:
I used to fish for Bass until I had my accident. I was gashed by the gill plate of a smallish fish in the skin between the thumb and index finger. I managed to stop the bleeding after about 3 hours and thought nothing more of it. 2 days later my hand started to swell up at a rate of knots. I was admitted to hospital with an unknown infection which resulted in me losing my left hand at the wrist. I cant advise you strongly enough to give up bass fishing immediately if you value your health. If you do heed this advice, please could you also try to convince as many other anglers, gill netters and pair trawlers to do the same. Thanks ;)
Bloody hell - with all that bleeding you would have had to bail the blood out of the boat to avoid sinking!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Funny you should say that mate, I did actually sink for that very reason. All that stuff about hospital and amputation was just a figment of my ghoulish imagination. Truth is shipmates I drowned that day in a mixture of my own blood and sea water. I now haunt a well known shingle beach near Portland....Aaahhaaaarrrrrr :eek:

·
Registered
186 Posts
10lb seabass you're real name isn't uncle albert is it, during the war and all that.....

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
bloody hell! i posted a picture of 10lbseabass on the gallery and now we have the buggers name. if cod father is reading this it must put paid to his scepticsism. oh and by the way i caught a bloody lovely pollack last night on a little rubber lure, it was my first one and actually remustered my love for fishing as not catching anything really was getting me down. if jaceb sees this i did not get bitten or stung and took it of the hook with no fuss and let it go alive.

·
Registered
22 Posts
All well and good that catch and release stuff.......sounds a bit risky though!
Club them, cut off fins with with shears, pull gill covers off with pliers and file down teeth. Then return alive and much less hazardous to fight again another day. Jobs a goodun !

1 - 20 of 31 Posts