World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all
My first post and shamelessly looking for help. I have been following the catch reports for some time and bass jealousy is now getting the better of me. I regularly launch a boat at Milford that is capable of getting me just about anywhere if the weather is behaving. I regularly get out around the islands etc for a cruise and a spot of fishing. My lack of knowledge/experience has so far limited me to feathering for mackerel and catching Pollack on rocky areas on jelly worms. I would like to have a crack at some bass but don't really know where to start. I read the recent post about the Celtic Wildcat trip and would love to have a try for bass with frozen sandeels or artificials around the islands. Where do i start? How do I rig the tackle, how do I attach the sandeel? how do I control the tackle on the drift? what artificials work and how should I fish them? Finally once I know how to assemble and drive the tackle where do I fish? obviously I don't expect exact marks but a pointer in the general direction would be nice to narrow my search. I don't intend to ruin the bass stocks just add a bit more spice to my days on the water.
Cheers

·
Registered
12,163 Posts
A lot of questions ther me old mate that would take a very long time to answer. Knowledge comes through practice . I would suggest that you book a couple of trips on charter boats that are Bass Specific and start from there. You can also use the search engine on this forum there is reams & reams of posts, threads etc for you to trawl through. You could also try offering a trip to someone to show you the ropes or tag along with another small boat owner when they go out.

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
Hello all
My first post and shamelessly looking for help. I have been following the catch reports for some time and bass jealousy is now getting the better of me. I regularly launch a boat at Milford that is capable of getting me just about anywhere if the weather is behaving. I regularly get out around the islands etc for a cruise and a spot of fishing. My lack of knowledge/experience has so far limited me to feathering for mackerel and catching Pollack on rocky areas on jelly worms. I would like to have a crack at some bass but don't really know where to start. I read the recent post about the Celtic Wildcat trip and would love to have a try for bass with frozen sandeels or artificials around the islands. Where do i start? How do I rig the tackle, how do I attach the sandeel? how do I control the tackle on the drift? what artificials work and how should I fish them? Finally once I know how to assemble and drive the tackle where do I fish? obviously I don't expect exact marks but a pointer in the general direction would be nice to narrow my search. I don't intend to ruin the bass stocks just add a bit more spice to my days on the water.
Cheers
hi mate i have a good mark for you for the bass but you have to use mac live if you want it you can have it but its milford haven way tight lines

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
voodo - the bass charter idea is a good one but explaining to my wife why I bought a boat in October and now need to book fishing charters may end in tears! I have searched loads of posts and have struggled to find specifics of how to fish, most posts are results of trips. I will keep my eye out for posts about forthcoming trips and maybe try and be on the water the same day, look to take someone out for the day or join someone for a day out. I do fish off my boat but its not really a fishing boat and can be a bit cramped.

Rockling- any help gratefully accepted can you please pm me the mark.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
right... i also have a boat in milford... for the bass

simple running ledger rig would be fine for live eels, live joeys and artificials.
live/dead eels just hook through the eyes with about 6-10 foot hooklength.
you will lose tackle, expect it!!
you need to work a dead eel, drop to the botom, n wind in 10 turns for the whole drift.

back end od the goose race i have been told is fishing well for the bass.
all sorts of artificials work, my favourite are sandeel imitations.

BUT just look for reefs and sand banks, this is where the shoals of bass are. drift them, best speeds in my opinion are between 2-3 knotts. higher tides are better...
st govans shoals fish well for bass on the smaller tides.
hope this helps, PM me for any more info

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that Welsh Warrior thats the simple sort of info i was after. A few more numpty questions before I go off to study the charts to look for likely places to try. Do i use whatever size weight gives me a near vertical drop or do I use a lighter weight than runs with the tide? When you say drop to the bottom and come up ten turns I assume after the ten turns I just drop back down and carry on for the whole drift. When you use an artificial eel do you thread it on like a jelly worm, thread it on all the way with a baiting needle or hook it at the front as if you were going through the eyes? I have read a few of your posts of your previous trips, some great days out, I will keep an eye out for you on the water.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
i use size 2 or 4 drennan carp hooks, or the equivelent in circle hooks if you can get them.
i like to use light weights nd av them behind the boat, but all depends what u r comertable with.

·
Registered
594 Posts
like welsh warrior said wined up ten turns then drop it back down slowly if you drop it to fast it will tangle up and wont fish properly. i personnel like a small hook about size 2 and hook the eel up through the bottom of the jaw and out through the top right close to the front of the head. dont use jelly worms my favorite artificial is the storm sand eel about six inches you can get these at most tackle shops.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
same as me col... best artificials!!!

live eels u dont need to wurk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys I will buy some hooks, frozens and artificiials and give it a go if this weather ever gets better. I was hoping maybe this weekend but the weathers not looking great although I never trust the forecasts this far in advance.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Be aware you want a good pace of tide over the banks to get the bass well on the feed

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
also meant to ask what size hook you favour for the live/frozen sandeels
1/0 Mustad Ultrapoint Circle hooks for hooking Live/Dead sandeels through the back of the eyes,(in one out the other!).. they hookup in the scissors 90% of the time!...

Fabulous hooks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts