World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been struck down with a bad dose of man-flu of the thoat for the past week and started going stir-crazy, forcing me to creep out on Thursday night for a couple of hours, despite no preparation or fresh bait, a bit of a temperature and no visible neck.

I decided to try an experimental extension of the rules of Smoothy Chicken to a new species and targetted bass from Croyde Beach, fishing frozen baits in and around the 2' breakers over low water.

Things seemed to be going superbly well with not a single bite all night.

It was looking so good by the time I'd packed up the lighter rod that I was starting to consider a Dogfish-Chicken franchise — surely the supreme challenge to the dedicated blanker!
However, I decided to give the big bait just five more minutes, which proved to be my undoing.

Still no bites by the time I pulled it in but it did feel worryingly heavy ... Ok, don't panic, probably a small doggie, not a schoolie....

If it's not just 6oz of kelp ...

So I flicked on the headlamp just as my leader appear in the surf... and it went ape's-hit.

Result: no bite, short (but kickass!) fight, long fish, and the noble spin-off sport of Bassy-Chicken dead in the water before it ever got launched.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I was about to congratulate you on a fine "sturk" until i saw your reel laying on the sand. What kind of example does this set to our children?:uhuh:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're absolutely right mate and I should be hanging my head in shame, but everyone's allowed one John McEnroe moment, aren't they?

After all, I'd just seen a good idea and a fine night's blanking ruined at the very last moment, so can you really blame me for slamming it down in anger like that? I'm tellin ya, at the time, it was touch and go whether I bothered picking it up again!

Bloody fish.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Bad luck Foxy.

Perhaps you could look for other specieis as contender?

Surely the ultimate must be Doggie-Chicken, only being allowed to fish great chunks of mackerel?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I really feel for poor old (young) Matt, he trys and trys his little heart out for a Bass over a pound.All his mates catching a decent stamp of fish and Colin trying his hardest to avoid those bars of silver:giveup:
Summer flu:yucky: That`ll teach you going away to foreign shores:uhuh:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
go to the corner you are a failure and a disgrace, i expected better!!

:nonono::nonono:

·
Registered
987 Posts
My heart goes out to you fella... you must have been feeling awful anyway with the manflu and all...Couldn't the bass just have left you alone.. I suppose , in their defence,they dont really understand what its like ... Time is a great healer though and Who knows , the next session may be that golden blank you were after..:sun:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts