World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Sorry to be a pain in the arse with all these questions.I have a warrior 150 and at the moment i have one battery which is recharged by the engine which also supplies my radio,chart plotter and gps.I carry a spare battery for emergencies but would it be better if i used just one for the engine and one for the other stuff.Also what type of batteries are best.At the moment i have a leisure battery on the motor and a spare is just a normal one which when i came to use the other day was flat yet i had fully recharged it.

Thanks.

Mark.

C

·
0 Posts
You would be better to get a device to split the charging (cant remember the name of it) and a switch so that you can switch from one battery to the other if necessary. Mine is set up so that I use one battery for everything but both batteries are chrged by the engine. If I ever get a starting problem (not yet)I can switch over to the second battery.

·
Registered
257 Posts
What you need is a priority charge smart relay , I have two battery circuits on my boat , one battery is engine start dedicated and the other is for lighting electronics and the like . when engine is started the relay senses the engine start battery and charges the engine start battery , when all is satisfactory the relay parralels the two circuits and continues to charge until both circuits are fully charged , the relay then separates the two circuits (thus stopping power drain from one to the other) when the engine is switched off whilst at anchor and the power is drawn from the house battery there is no power drain from the engine start battery thus providing a fresh healthy battery to start the engine and get you home . once engine is started the whole process starts all over again . There is no need for a battery selector switch with this system . If you trailer your boat as i do then you simply attach battery charger to engine start battery and the same process begins. The boat sits there awaiting its next voyage with fresh batterys . Get on the boat and start the engine - go fishing - come home attach charger - go to bed - sorted:boat: :)

The relay on my boat is manufactured by shore power industries - good luck:)

·
Registered
257 Posts
What you need is a priority charge smart relay , I have two battery circuits on my boat , one battery is engine start dedicated and the other is for lighting electronics and the like . when engine is started the relay senses the engine start battery and charges the engine start battery , when all is satisfactory the relay parralels the two circuits and continues to charge until both circuits are fully charged , the relay then separates the two circuits (thus stopping power drain from one to the other) when the engine is switched off whilst at anchor and the power is drawn from the house battery there is no power drain from the engine start battery thus providing a fresh healthy battery to start the engine and get you home . once engine is started the whole process starts all over again . There is no need for a battery selector switch with this system . If you trailer your boat as i do then you simply attach battery charger to engine start battery and the same process begins. The boat sits there awaiting its next voyage with fresh batterys . Get on the boat and start the engine - go fishing - come home attach charger - go to bed - sorted:boat: :)

The relay on my boat is manufactured by shore power industries - good luck:)
Forgot to add that I also have a combining switch same as cascar which joins the two batterie circuits in an emergency should the engine start battery fail .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts