World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I leave my boat in the water all year round save for the odd time to get her sprayed down and the engine serviced. Touch wood, up to now, there has never been a problem with the battery. I have two batteries on board and just leave them there. Does everyone else do the same ? I have this horrible fear that one day I will get to the boat and the battery will be flat.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I have 2 batteries and replace one every year, that way the oldest one is only 2 years old when it comes to replacement time. Never had a problem doing it this way. I take them off for winter and store them in the shed as I don't have the boat out, too cold. i give them a trickle chare mid winter and again at the start of the season.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You could build in a charger, a solar panel or a windfan. I like the solar panels and windfans, you see them a lot on sailboats , but usualy you don't have the space for them on fishing boats. They keep your battery's full and the good ones even also drain a little juice once in a time and then recharge them.
A good charger ain't cheap, but including the consumed power it's cheaper then changing one battery every year instead of once in five years. You also can buy a battery trainer (much cheaper then a good charger), they can't fully charge you battery but consume a little energy and the charge them again (keeps your battery in top condition), but again you'll need power from the shore.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts