World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I've decided to get a battery charger which I can keep permanently connected up to the battery - i have a single 120ah sealed battery. The idea is to be able to hook it up to the shore power socket in the marina after each trip to keep the battery topped up, ready for the next trip out.

I've bought a Ctek XS7000 charger and a flush mount shore power inlet, as the boat doesn't currently have a shore power connector.

The plan was to mount the charger on top of the battery box and then chop the crocodile clips off and crimp some ring connectors on instead, for a more permanenent connection to the battery. I was then going to chop off the 3 pin mains plug from the mains lead of the charger and wire it directly into the shore power socket. I can then simply plug the shore power extension lead in at both ends when in the marina.

Does this sound like a feasable plan? :g:

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
You are creating the ideal situation for stray current to eat away (very rapidly) underwater metal components and anodes if fitted. Accepting that anodes are there for that purpose the problem is the speed of corrosion when a boat is permanently wired up to an open circuit. You will also become very unpopular with your neighbours at the marina as the stray current from your boat will also affect their underwater gear as well.
One way of overcoming this cheaply is to stick a 24 hr 1 X ON, 1 x OFF timer on the 240 volt side. Have it give an hours charge each day which is fine to keep the battery topped up.

Afishionado

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
If you fit a Galvanic isolater in to the shore power supply it will stop any stray currents getting out of the boat.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I hope this isnt a daft question, but I am thinking of doing the same thing. However will it affect me at all, as the boat will be on a trailer outside my home address.

Andy C :g:

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm not really a scientist so may have misunderstood but does this only effect mains connected chargers or does it effect solar panels as well?

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Nope, on the trailer it will be fine.

The problem is the earth connection on the pontoon when you have shorepower on a mooring. he power needs to trip the breakers if there i a fault and this needs an earth. Trouble is corrosion can happen with tiny voltages, so small they dont trip the breakers. The galvanic isolator stops these tiny voltages.

If your boat is not in water you can plug in your battey charger without any worries.

Solar chargers do not connect your boat to ground, as long as the charge is going into the battery and not in sone strange way leaking into the engine you are fine. Best to fit the solar charger direct to the battery and then have a battery isolater switch to isolate the rest of the electrics on the boat from the battery when you are not using it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Galvanic isolator makes sense, albeit that I have an OB and a GRP hull so nothing of mine to corrode in the water (!!), but morally, I'd be best sorting something to keep the neighbours sweet!

Another question though - i guess that it's a simple case of popping the isolator in a break in the earth wire between the inlet on the Shore Power connector and the earth on the charger?

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Yep, the isolater goes in the earth wire, basically a big power diode.

I would guess the bracket of your outboard is in the water even when the engine is fully tilted up. This is the bit that will corrode if stray currents are about.

If marinas would fit these isolaters in the eaths of the shore power boxes ther wouldn't be half the problems with corrosion that there are in marinas.

Even if your boat is protected if the boats either side of you are not you will still suffer from corrosion as you are all linked through that shore power connection.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Quote.....so nothing of mine to corrode in the water

The very bottom of most O/B mounting brackets are in the water when afloat even with the engine raised. To help stop the bottom of the bracket corroding away most manufacturers fit a bar anode across the bottom of the bracket. My Suzuki needs this bar replasing every season but it does save having to replace the whole engine/transom saddle at a cost of blooming thousands.

So check your O/B's mounting saddle right at the bottom where it dips in the water when afloat, you should also see the bar anode. If it looks like it's been gnawed by rats then it needs replacing.

Afishionado

·
Registered
413 Posts
Item number: 180119059552

Hi Mate just fitted one of these to my boat. Have a look at the item above on * Bay, loads of info on Galvic Isolators.

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, now i'm stuck again.

Just go the charger and note that the mains lead only has a two core lead - live and neutral - no earth!

I was going to connect the charger directly to the shore power inlet, but of course there wont then be an earth cable to wire the isolator into?

Any ideas or am i missing something?

G

·
This is something that I am also thinking about for my boat so will keep a close eye on this thread. At the moment I have a Solar Panel permanently wired to the battery terminals which seems to do the job ok, but it may not be sufficient in the winter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts