World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys.i have a mariner 15hp 4stroke 2006 model fitted to my boat.could i charge my battery from the outboard and what will i need to do this?
thanks

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Possibly...

Does it have any plugs with nothing on the lower cowling with 2 pins/contacts in them?

If not then it's unlikely it's got a charging circuit.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
hi guys.i have a mariner 15hp 4stroke 2006 model fitted to my boat.could i charge my battery from the outboard and what will i need to do this?
thanks
Run it into a Mariner O/B dealer he will tell you in a flash. If it does not then one can buy a 'charging' kit for about £40 or so + labour to fit.

Afishionado

·
Banned
820 Posts
Run it into a Mariner O/B dealer he will tell you in a flash. If it does not then one can buy a 'charging' kit for about £40 or so + labour to fit.

Afishionado
Hi AF got any info on this?
When I got my boat and motor I was told it charged the battery, but it doesn't and got caught out last trip. Luckily I had a fully charged on for the gps and sonar so I was okay, but a charger would be handy as I plan some week long trips come summer.
Dave.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
According to the Mariner brochure all 15hp engines come with a 15 amp alternator. If your engine is electric start I would have expected it to be ready wired but manual start may be differant.

Dave
:giveup:

·
Banned
820 Posts
thanks
Is it a battery start motor? Or pull start?
If battery or if it has the aternator as suggested by Dave S you could put a voltmeter on the battery charge output terminals to check if there is an output.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its a pull start.phoned my nearest dealer today and they quoted me £121 plus vat for a battery charging coil kit.thats without fitting.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'm not wanting to convert the engine to electric start i just wanted to be able to charge my electronics battery from the engine to save me from lugging the battery off the boat after every few trips to recharge it.

·
Banned
820 Posts
i'm not wanting to convert the engine to electric start i just wanted to be able to charge my electronics battery from the engine to save me from lugging the battery off the boat after every few trips to recharge it.
Ah you didn't say that in your first post!
What about those mini solar panel chargers or those little wind generators?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
seen the mini solar panels but didn't think they would be up to the job.will be running fish finder,gps,radio,nav lights when dark or foggy and bilge pump from the battery.will be used 4 or 5 times a week weather permitting for anything up to 10 hrs per day.

·
Banned
820 Posts
seen the mini solar panels but didn't think they would be up to the job.will be running fish finder,gps,radio,nav lights when dark or foggy and bilge pump from the battery.will be used 4 or 5 times a week weather permitting for anything up to 10 hrs per day.
Sorry I can't offer more advice. I guess it's the alternator or do what I do, carry three batteries. One for the motor one for the elecrics/sonar etc and one spare in case either let me down.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the advice anyway.guess i'll have to part with £140 to get the kit to add onto the engine

·
Banned
820 Posts
Only other thing I can think off to watch for is just make sure the output is enough from the time the motor is running to charge your batteries up enough for the long daily periods you say you will be out.
I.E. you may only run the motor for an hour yet be using battery power for 9 hours. Is that enough? You probably will be as you are not using the battery for starting, but just a thought.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts