World Sea Fishing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
fished battery point last night (only because the tackle shop told us to in portishead marina) next to the lighthouse wich we found out after we got there its very snaggy. with my dad and uncle , it was very hard going, the tide was running the weed was being a pest, but we had small windows to fish before the next set of weed pulled through..and someone reported a beached whale and we were asked if it was us..not as far as we were aware it wasnt lol, watched the big massive boats going through, saw something that looked like an oil drum or something floating along about 100 yrds out or so. with high tide fast approaching and no bites as yet , we decided to move round to the left of the lighthouse and fish from the bay and within 5 minutes i had a small codling about a pound and half, and then a smaller one about 10oz or so was very small all on worm and they were the only fish caught , also it rained quite hard at times.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
You home yet Jim-bob.
Thought you were going to go further up channel.
Battery can throw up the goods, but you are better off fishing the point on a smaller tide, Untill youve expierienced it a few times. (suprises me steve sent you there to be honest)
As you found out it can be a snaggy old place. Years and years of Line snags out there(including plenty of mine) Infact there must be enough lead on the bottom, to sink one of them car transporters you saw. And if conditions arent right weed is a complete mare.

Well done on beating the blank with your choice of move, shame they werent a bit bigger. But always next time.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
You home yet Jim-bob.
Thought you were going to go further up channel.
Battery can throw up the goods, but you are better off fishing the point on a smaller tide, Untill youve expierienced it a few times. (suprises me steve sent you there to be honest)
As you found out it can be a snaggy old place. Years and years of Line snags out there(including plenty of mine) Infact there must be enough lead on the bottom, to sink one of them car transporters you saw. And if conditions arent right weed is a complete mare.

Well done on beating the blank with your choice of move, shame they werent a bit bigger. But always next time.
like karlos said tide was far to big for battery think it was 11.9 i am also very suprised steve sent you there he knows better than that ideal tides are 9 or 10 mts:wallbash:

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
reel fun fishing the shop was called yes mate got home at 5 ish this morning :sleep: we only lost 1 set of gear (wasnt me) and a couple of bent hooks...,we were going to further up but he said we'd be better off there......:sneaky2: also the cafe at battery wanted £1.50 for a bottle of coke......:busted_co. it was a nice experiance..i would like to fish it again at some point but the conditions would have to be better than what they were and more fish...although we saw a picture in the shop of a nice cod caught there the weekend before.they where rafts of weed , my uncle was the closest to the lighthouse so he had the job of watching for weed lol , battery made a mess of my line , gotta re-line my penn now lol

·
Registered
91 Posts
I fished battery last night (Sunday) with a mate. Armed with crab,squid, rag and bluey we fished a 3 ½ hour session with not a bite. Not much weed and only lost 1 lead.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Got to be honest I have never fished there, i think i heard so much news over the years on how dangerous it was, that i have never bothered...

I have mainly fished Lady bay with the odd trip down by Hinkly or over at redwick.

One thing you have todo is to keep an eye on your rod as I know i have almost lost mine a couple of times with large amount of weed moving about

·
Registered
110 Posts
well done for having a go at battery.
the smaller tides are better i find as you can firh all the way up and down on the neaps.ive had my pb cod from there last year at just over 10lb and some larger ones were also caught there last year as well.
it is a rough ground mark and you will lose tackle but its well worth it as when the cod are in the sport can be hectic.
dont let this experianc put you off, try again on a smaller tide.
rich
:ph34r:

·
Banned
5,324 Posts
well done for having a go at battery.
the smaller tides are better i find as you can firh all the way up and down on the neaps.ive had my pb cod from there last year at just over 10lb and some larger ones were also caught there last year as well.
it is a rough ground mark and you will lose tackle but its well worth it as when the cod are in the sport can be hectic.
dont let this experianc put you off, try again on a smaller tide.
rich
:ph34r:
Your first double figure cod from the shore mate and what a beut it was too.
I'm sure there will be a few more doubles will come from the same spot tho. But don't dismiss the bay, casters rock, brick house as all these marks will throw up a decent double.
Last year within a 1 month period 4 doubles came from there
17 lb 15lb 13lb and a 10lb all from there.
Battery is a good spot to fish and well worth fishing if you don't mind loosing the odd few rigs.
Like has been said before for best results fish a dropping tide as the current ain't as strong as on a building tide. Cast as far as you can to get past the snags and try and get there early as to get a spot.
Pulley rigs are the way forward here with either 3/0 or 4/0 hooks. Don't bother with a pennel as this will help you get snagged up!
All baits will work but lug seems to catch more fish wether it be black lug or blow lug.
Sometimes if the conditions allow it might be worth chucking out 20 feet as sometimes the fish can be under your feet!!
Also can you please take your rubbish home with you and that includes line *** packets squid boxes bluey packets etc etc.

G

·
fished battery point last night (only because the tackle shop told us to in portishead marina) next to the lighthouse wich we found out after we got there its very snaggy. with my dad and uncle , it was very hard going, the tide was running the weed was being a pest, but we had small windows to fish before the next set of weed pulled through..and someone reported a beached whale and we were asked if it was us..not as far as we were aware it wasnt lol, watched the big massive boats going through, saw something that looked like an oil drum or something floating along about 100 yrds out or so. with high tide fast approaching and no bites as yet , we decided to move round to the left of the lighthouse and fish from the bay and within 5 minutes i had a small codling about a pound and half, and then a smaller one about 10oz or so was very small all on worm and they were the only fish caught , also it rained quite hard at times.
View attachment 81716
good move, well done on making the decision to move,
most would have called it a day, good report in the end
i must try and get over to the

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
thanks for the heads up on your move,as I have fished right of the LH on a biggish tide when losing rig after rig and thought about sneaking around to the left of it,but have not,ill certainly consider it from now on.

at least you had a few fish,ive had 4 sessions there so far....6 coddies on 1 trip all came to whole squid only and 3 blanks and emptied me rig box there on differing size tides so ive still to make me mind up whether I like the bloomin venue or not.

Gazza

·
Registered
98 Posts
Jesus H, you aint to bright are ya jimbob..if i told you to go jump in front of a car you not being too bright probably would.
Engage brain and do your homework next tim:bangin:e..idiot

·
Banned
5,324 Posts
Jesus H, you aint to bright are ya jimbob..if i told you to go jump in front of a car you not being too bright probably would.
Here we go again.
Ted you should take some of your own advice ! Before you slate this kid you should read what he put ! He got told to fish there by steve of reel fun ! This was jim bobs first time on the channel! How many times have you took someone's advice and fished a mark ? Never eh cause your mr channel angler ain't you lmao who can cast fromthe slipway and hit the main shipping channel. I've seen you fish and cast and to be honest your crap. You should do your homework before you come on a open forum and slate someone.
People like you Andy will never change.

Jimbob take no notice of this bloke ok as he ain't got a clue what's he is Going on about !

·
Registered
309 Posts
Fished battery (more towards the woods tho) on thursday just gone again cos local tacky shop said that would be my best bet :bangin:

Fished 4pm till 8 pm with rag and squid baits pulley rig but not a sniff...:unsure:

Apprently they were fish being caught there recently....:bounce:

Just clearly weren't interested in my offerings.....:uhuh::g:

Mite be heading down severn beach tonight to give it a bash:fishing1:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thanks Ted!
You've just reminded me why i don't post on this site much anymore!

Unlucky Jimbob but at least you got some good info on when and how to fish this mark!

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i was going to type a long reply ....but your just not worth it tbh.

thanks for all the other replys guys, i'd forgot about this thread lol, not bad for my first time in the channel and landing two small codling , i'd call that a sucess :punk::punk:
cheers

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
you know wot they say " only liers and bull######s dont make mistakes . " which one are you ted . if you want you can be both . seeing as its a "say as you see it" post maybe some more comments about you may bring out the honesty in more peaple .
well done on giving a challenging venue a try and better luck next time .

·
Banned
5,324 Posts
Guys this is the kind of bloke ted is or Andy which ever you want to call him. Back in April 2010 I fished battery point and managed to catch a nice double figure cod that went just over 10lb and lost another. Well ted was fishing casters rock and seen me catch and land that fish! The next thing I know is he came on here and said he helped me land the fish lmfao then in his next comment he said he been catching cod that weren't even there, if I could find the post I'd put it up so everyone can see what kind of bloke ted is. This bloke is so full of himself

He also stated that he can cast to the main shipping channel while fishing low water which is a good 200 yards away from the shoreline. Now if he can cast that distance with bait on then he is a better caster than Andy copping which he ain't.
Ted stop being a dik all your life stop bull crapping stop trying to impress anglers with the little knowledge that you have.
I've been doing some searching and my god you don't half talk rubbish all the time. If you haven't anything nice to stay to young or old anglers then don't go making stupid comments like you have done on here!!
Ted or Andy what ever you like to be called these days im sure that him bob would out fish you and out cast you on a bad day! Forums are here to help each other out NOT calling some young angler who has never fished the channel an idiot!!
The only idiot on here ted is you
Yes that's rite ive came on an open forum and called you an idiot and even a joke as that's what your Making your self look to anglers who read your post!!
( sorry to the mods and people reading this but I just re read ted post again and again and it's nothing more than abuse to a kid!! )

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
We are all entitled to our opinion,such is the right of any Forum be it Fishing or any other ...but to flagrently demean the fella for following advice from a
tackle shop on a venue that he knows little about and to suggest he might wish to kill himself following your advice is beyond reproach fella.

Let alone openly calling the guy an idiot aint on fella,it ****hes me off that posts like this are NOT policed with more venom by the mods.

I cant believe its been allowed to stand !!!!!!! bluddy amazing.

Do yourself a favour Ted and think next time fella,as posts of that nature will do nothing to instill confidence in an angler learning about a new venue
that you obviously know but choose to hinder him with your remarks rather than help !!!!!!!!!!!!

Gazza :bangin::doh::wallbash:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.