World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the smell of BBQ is already presenting itself from peoples gardens and I've already had one this year.

But I never really cook my catch that often on the BBQ so I'm curious about everyone else's favourite techniques and dishes are?

I know one of the best ways is cooking fish whole and I love it, but your guests are not normally very encouraged when dump a whole fish in front of them and tell them to dig in!

I cook salmon fillets a lot on the bbq, but that's from the supermarket.

I also on occasion take a portable bbq to the beach and cook mackerel on it and eat it with a roll or bread, but looking for something a bit more refined!

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Bass fillet, lightly seasoned. Mackerel fillets, with a bit of smoke. Dogfish chunks marinaded in lemon juice, pepper kebab style. Just let your mind go.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Hi ,

...... black bream filets marinated for about an hour in a bit of olive oil , fresh lemon juice + pepper&salt ; and gently cooked skin underneath on a (not too hot!) BBQ .... MMMMMMMM!!!!! :wub:

Gert

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
.... hèhè .... you got the spirit !

... guess where these ended ?????

Gert

·
Banned
2,693 Posts
Bass, descaled filled with salsa and cover the outside in olive oil pepper and salt place in silver foil and cook on the outer edge of the bbq...

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Herring should also work. I have also done plaice, wrapped I. Foil.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Gilthead, Black Bream, Bass, Mackerel, Herring, Pilchards, Sardines all done whole over a medium heat. I was also very pleasantly surprised by the flavour of a large (~3lb) Mullet done "spatchcock" style and brushed with garlic infused olive oil in a taverna in Greece. A clamp type grill helps to keep the fish whole when turning during cooking. Feeling hungry now...

·
Registered
74 Posts
I also think mackerel is best to bbq as oily and wood chips or sawdust and herbs smoke help the flavour. A bbq with a lid helps almost smoke them. I often cook foil package with more delicate fish but you dont get the bbq flavour. Fish wracks or baskets are useful for whole fish, stuff a bass with enough herbs, lemon etc inside to keep moist and you can manage and turn and serve it easily!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Caught a fairly decent sized Bass and a decent sized mullet (4/5lbs) a few years back down in Devon. Had both on the BBQ simply in foil with some butter, and although both were tasty I definately prefered the mullet. Mullet not that common round here though!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
My dream this summer is to catch a decent haul of whats been mentioned and get it on the barbie for mid afternoon. (preferably bass)

I'm hoping it becomes a reality on a regular basis.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Caught a fairly decent sized Bass and a decent sized mullet (4/5lbs) a few years back down in Devon. Had both on the BBQ simply in foil with some butter, and although both were tasty I definately prefered the mullet. Mullet not that common round here though!
I agree with that : mullet is a very tasty fish ... depending on where it has been caught ! i really wouldn't want to eat a harbour caught mullet, fed on heavy oil and other garbage from ships :yucky:

Gert

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
My dream this summer is to catch a decent haul of whats been mentioned and get it on the barbie for mid afternoon. (preferably bass)

I'm hoping it becomes a reality on a regular basis.
Just my humble one but Bream is a far better eating fish than Bass...

.... hèhè .... you got the spirit !

... guess where these ended ?????

Gert
Gert, would I be right in assuming you caught those off the Dutch coast? I've had all mine when I lived on the south coast but if you are catching them in the Netherlands then there may be (very faint) hope they will one day appear off our north east coast...

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Gert, would I be right in assuming you caught those off the Dutch coast? I've had all mine when I lived on the south coast but if you are catching them in the Netherlands then there may be (very faint) hope they will one day appear off our north east coast...
Hi Mackem' ,

I really wish i could catch breams like those in the Netherlands!!! .... all of the fish on the picture were between 38 and 42cm and i caught them together with my 2 boys in Brittany last summer hollidays ... sorry if i spoiled your wishfull thinking ! :eek:hmy:

Gert

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
large launce with a bit of garlic butter close to the coals for about 40 seconds whelksin foil and butter and if you can get them scallop in half shells direct on the coals for about 20 seconds and a squirt of lime juice just as you serve them, fantastico!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts