World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well , was hoping to do a very long report full of pictures of , nice fish . well luckly for you guys it wont be long ..............

arrived at pontins brean down , which was going to be are base for the week . me and kieth booked in and went fishing . was going to be in the middle of all the venues we wanted to fish . both north and south . we were given lots of advice by many locals . mainly craig butler at west coast tackle minehead . thanks to you all . we took up 150 fresh blacks and 150 frozen . 10lb of unwashed squid . and i took 200 frozen big crabs .

1st mark was porlock weir nice steep shingle beach , was straight into fish . so we were hoping this was going to be a good week . wind was from the n/w , but fishable with plenty of colour . we had plenty of doggies , whiting and small conger , no cod !

2nd mark tuesday morning we went north , between layde bay and portishead . to be greeted by bright redish sea , not good . spoke to some locals who said it been like it for a while and since then its been total crap . hence to say we only managed a couple od conger and a few pin whiting , kieths conger was 4lb , a pb for him . wind was building all day again from the n/w

3rd mark tuesday night , we fished local at burnham fishing the parrot channel from low till high , again the sea was a mess with a strong redish coloue from all the fresh water . we again only managed a couple of whiting before the wind got the better of us .

4th mark we had to have a good long think on what to do as the upper channel was full of fresh water and no fish , but with the lower channel also struggling . we were adviced to hit minehead area as week before there was a few cod about and ray ! we went to the gas works 1 fish all day a conger of 8lb for me .

5th mark was the white mark over low again whiting and dogs as you can tell by now we both getting dishartened by the fishing .

6th mark on thursday was going to be lilstock , but was packed when we go t there !!! so back to gas works we went . i blanked , kith had a whiting . but then we heard the guys at lilstock had much the same result !

7th mark white mark again only this time we both blanked !

8th mark , back along beach to gas works as saw no reason to waist time driving to another mark . kieth blanked i managed 3 congers .

with the way the channel fishing and locals telling us this time last year most had 50 or more fish from the marks we were on . that they had only managed a handful of fish this year . it was time to throw the towel in . we made are minds up that we would not fish friday and go home . to show you how bad it was i brought back 180 blacks , both fresh and frozen a couple of pound of squid and 140 crabs !

and on a wind up note , the a39 what a bitch of a road !

right clean my gear and get down pagham i think ......................................

·
Registered
409 Posts
great effort lads but thats the channel for you its allways a shame when you put in so much effort for no results remember a bad weeks fishing is better than a good week at work :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Alan,

Great report - sorry it was so quiet but rest assured it obviously wasn't due to lack of effort or bait!! Usual story though should have been here last week/year!

Looks like you had some fun though.

cheers

Musky

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
hard luck alan,ive fished posett 3 times this week for 1 conger,the cod are as rare as rocking horse s**t at the moment as the old saying goes things can only get better lol atb si:schmoll:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Unlucky fella , cant believe you spent a week at Pontins :yucky:
Shame about the fishing but well done for all your effort :thumbs:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.