World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an interview on Meridian television tonight (18-2-05) an animal rights activist stated that they would be targeting angling to get it banned, Think on folks we could be in for the same as the hunting guys,

·
Registered
235 Posts
i think it may be a big possabilaty we could be targetd next i was listening to some guy on talk sport today and he was ready to campain against angling but dont you think if a licence for sea angling is introduced the government may think twice about a ban due to the lost revenue as well as the coarse fishing fees payed in each year would mount to a few million .

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The amount we contribute to the economy is one of our greatest assets and the amount of unemployment there would be far outweighs anything the hunting people had, having said that we must be ready to write to M.Ps M.E.Ps etc etc there are a damn sight more of us than there are in the hunting world and they won't get anywhwere as much public backing as they did for hunting but they will still try disrupting beach matches etc

·
Registered
325 Posts
If enough MP,s hunted it would not have been banned. It would be interesting to see how many of them, or their fathers or sons fish. Quite a number I suspect. in which perhaps we won't have a problem. Do I sound a bit cynical.

Fred

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm back again, you have got me thinking. I am new to fishing and have never witnessed a match. I have read that, after weighing-in it is not uncommon for a number of smaller fish to be discarded. If so this will not help our case if the battle commences. We have seen what has happened to hunting and must be on our guard. I am not a techie but wonder if it would be possible to set up a seperate area within the forum where this subject can be run with a continuous thread.

Any comments

Fred

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
your right mate on both counts ther match issue has/is being sorted with measure and return matches as for the thread over to Mike.

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,009 Posts
Yes us anglers will start to face some flack now. It was inevitable as soon as hunting with dogs was banned, personally I think the shooters will be the first to be targeted. I've always kept the view we should have sided with the hunters, the countryside alliance and anybody else that stands up for country sports...some think they are toffs, some just don't like them. Sadly you have to take the rough with the smooth and in order to stand up for angling is to stand up for country sports in general too, you have to have a strong voice, and if we all stick together we'll have a strong voice. Just my personal view, which I know a lot of you don't agree with.

The one thing we do have in our favour is, according to some people, there are 5 million anglers in this country and a massive industry supporting it. Fishing employs a lot of people in tackle companies, fisheries, charter boats, hotels, pubs, petrol station, sandwich makers (the list can go on and on) all businesses that can rely heavily on anglers visiting ports and venues. That is where angling is in a unique position to other country sports; it is, in effect, mass market.

Without the coarse and game anglers, the Environment Agency would lose a large proportion of its income, not to mention the good work the anglers do in preserving fish stocks and making sure wildlife and the surrounding country are protected. Most anglers are by nature conservationists and do more than their fair share to look after and protect fish, whether they are in salt or fresh water, a lot more than any anti-angler has done.

Ask an anti-angler what they have done to protect fish, protect wildlife and maintain rivers and lakes in pristine condition and most would answer nothing.

We are strong, there are a lot of us, and if we do become a target, lets stay together this time, stop bickering and pull in one direction, and we will win.

Sorry for the rant, heavy day :D

Mike Jr

·
Registered
325 Posts
Marcus

Whilst I agree with your sentiments, the important thing is to make sure the shiny bums do not pass any laws which makes fishing illegal. Mike is right, we must be united and fight from day one. When the law is passed will be too late. As we almost certainly have a general election coming up, perhaps all members of the forum should write to their MP,s and ask where they stand on the subject.

Fred

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Exactly right Fred, I ask everyone to write their M.P or prospective M.P. and ask where he/she stands on angling and publish any answers on the web. if we start now then a lot of aggro could be avoided later,

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,009 Posts
Back in 2001 this site did a petition. The title of the petition was "The Future of Angling" and that petition was compiled before the 2001 general election and sent to all three major UK parties. We had over 500 signatures (not bad considering we are 10 times bigger today than we were back then).

I thought I would again post what my synopsis of the replies...(excuse the bad writing)...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well the general election is now over, and Tony Blair is back in number 10. The Conservatives are without a leader and the Lib Dems had the best results ever. So now all the spin, the personal jibes, policy making and manifesto launches are over, how did the parties respond to our petition.

Labour
Well to be honest we are very disappointed in Labour. They did not acknowledge the petition and we were never sent a response to it. Many people have told us to retry getting information from them but in the end we though NO. Why should we go chasing when it is in the best interest of the party to reply to us to settle the matter once and for all.

Conservatives
The Tory party was the first party to reply to our e-petiton. In a whopping 40minutes we received a response from the Tories categorically stating that fishing was a multi-billion pound industry and contributes significantly to the national economy. We were very impresses with the way the conservatives replies so quickly and with a properly constructed full answer as well.

Liberal Democrats
Now we were extremely surprised with the response we got from the Lib Dems, not only did we get one answer but we got two! Their first response came a day after we sent the e-petition, they stated that fishing would never come under threat and that it is one of the UK's biggest sports.

Now I have just finished my a-levels, and coursework can get large, multiple pages are not uncommon, but the Lib Dems second reply I would of been proud off! The basics of the response was that fishing is the biggest participant sport in Britain today. They went on to state that fishing was a major contributor to the rural and national economy. They also went on to state that National Lottery money should be used to help promote angling in many local communities. They also continued to say that they would increase funding for the Environment Agency in order to help maintain and improve fisheries throughout the UK.

We would like to thank both the Conservatives and the Liberal Dems for their positive responses. We are sorry that Labour could not reply to our petition and help ease our fears about fishing. Once we read through all of our petition replies we went and had a look at the manifestos the three main parties released. Labour did mention angling and stated that "We have no intention whatsoever of placing restrictions on the sports of angling and shooting." The other parties as far as what we could see did not mention angling within their manifestos.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shall we do it again ;)

Mike Jr

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well Done Mike I would say yes and lets try and get everyone on the site to sign up, Just as a matter of interest I wonder if there are any A.As on this site spying,
looking at the catch reports there are some consevationists "par excelance"

·
Registered
568 Posts
Mike, what's with the long posts ... thought you were busy :D

AA brigade is way down on our list of things to worry about - there is a more real and harmfull danger of fish stocks being wiped out before angling ever gets banned. Perhaps we can enlist them to campaign against the commercial rape of our seas instead?

Recreational anglers are bunch of people who truly enjoy the environment we choose to spend out past time in. Because we spend so much time in nature, and so much time trying to figure out how it all works, it quickly follows that we care about the natural world in general. Anyone who spends any regular time outdoors (whatever the pasttime) can't help but be drawn in to the wonder of mother nature. But try explaining to a non-angler that fishing isn't all about catching fish...

The only potential trouble we have with these people is justified and self inflicted by the small minority amongst us who continue to litter and handle fish without thought for their welfare. Apart from that, we have nothing to worry about :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
wow wot a great thred this is.we must act as one to protect our sport wot ever fishing we do sea coarse or game in the end it effects us all so were do we start
do we trust our MP,s to tell us the truth now we are close to a general election?
im sorry to say i dont think i do

·
Registered
235 Posts
fizz said:
wow wot a great thred this is.we must act as one to protect our sport wot ever fishing we do sea coarse or game in the end it effects us all so were do we start
do we trust our MP,s to tell us the truth now we are close to a general election?
im sorry to say i dont think i do
just another point while im at it who is it who reports any pollution in our waters i think u may find its anglers

·
Registered
325 Posts
Mike

I think the e-petition is a great idea. I assume it would go to each party's central office. Once completed perhaps we could all down-load a hard copy or e-mail a copy to our own MP. There nothing like maximum coverage. I was going to suggest we try to involve the fishing press, but with their lead times I would ihagine it is too late for them to do anything before the election.

Perhaps the petition should also make the point raised earlier regarding overfishing.

Our sport perhaps makes us a tad solitary and quiet, perhaps it is time we got together and made ourselves heard,

Regards

Fred

·
Registered
438 Posts
the aa have a lot of cash behind them and alot of pull do not under estemate them tony blair will give into them if it comes to the hard push i remember the hunters who said it will never happen and look at them

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,009 Posts
We need to start pulling together lads, and, dear I say it, go American.

Coarse, Sea, Game we all need to pull it together under one organisation. Spend £10 on a membership every year say 2 million of us did it, thats a £20,000,000. Take out a few expensive say £1m, you are left with £19m to fight what ever the hell you wanted to.

Whats a tenner lads, nothing, its 3 pints, a few magazines, its not at lot of money for an entire year and can go to protecting YOUR future fishing.

PETA, The League Against Cruel Sports, they are well funded, but not as well funded as we COULD be if we started to play our cards right.

Whilst I don't think angling will be in trouble, its time to get serious, fight fire with fire sort of speak and make sure the world knows we mean business.

If I didnt have to run 2 business' and make sure the tax man gets his cut, i'd relish the chance of doing it, I really would. If I start making a few quid and become secure, I might just have to do it :D

Mike Jr

·
Registered
235 Posts
wots a tenner a year bugger all we spend alot more on bait each time we go fishing.I would gladly pay
i have had experience of wot the AA do to disrupt mathes or just general fishing its not just making noise throwing stones they use boats scoober divers to cut lines and violence. on anglers not nice wouldn.t u agree but we cant lower ourselves to retaliate by physicaly fighting back we must use the power of the people the angling people that is to be as one loud bloody voice to say no to these half witted morons

T

·
0 Posts
after reading some of the posts I've come to the conclusion that the best form of hunting would be hippie hunting, imagine the benefits to the community, no social payments etc, if we put all the great unwashed into a big pit and hosed them down with soap and water would that be ethnic cleansing?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts