World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>Hi all, I&#39;ve been getting more than my fair share of mackerel using feathers lately (they all go on the table so I don&#39;t feel TOO bad about it) and also regularly try them with a spinner for a bit more sport but also in the hope of grabbing a bass...

I&#39;ve seen a couple of fellas this year fly-fishing off the beach and really fancy giving it a go so I went to Trago Mills in Newton Abbot today and picked myself up a £17 rod (9&#39;, #6-7), a £10 fly reel, #6 floating line, some backing line and leader line and, of course, a few flies that look similar to my favourite feather traces.

So basically I&#39;m ready&#33;&#33; Anyone got any experience of saltwater fly-fishing? Given the lightness of the tackle I reckon a decent mackerel will give me a great fight but I&#39;m hoping for bass...any tips?

regards
julianf</font>

M

·
0 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hi Julian

just been picking up this one myself in the transition from fresh to saltwater. Bass seem to like a bit of surf and don&#39;t actually seem to be that far from the beach. I&#39;ve been told to aim my cast for the third breaker on its way in and I&#39;m fishing a 9&#39; 6" rod on an 8 line with a shooting tip. Flies I got from Sportfish and they seem to be ok, I had a 2lb bass off anglesea but was too small so had to go back. Basically through I&#39;m either fishing sand eel flies off the bottom in short runs or playing fry flies on a floating line looking for surface feeding. If you have any success though please let me know as I&#39;m off for another try in a couple of weeks.

tight lines&#33;

Matt</font>

M

·
0 Posts
<font color='#000000'>oh

and as for flies, blue seems to be good, light flies for daytime and dark or black for dusk/evening, sandeel flies either green or blue, as I&#39;ve had takes on both

Matt</font>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts