World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So beach buddies - are they worth the hassle?

I presume they are also only suited to beach or prom fishing?

What kind of wind strength can they reasonably stand up to, also how heavy and bulky are they - is it reasonable to carry them a mile to a mark?

ta in advance.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think they are worth the hassle - especially if it is likely to be windy or rain.
I use an RT shelter (similar dimensions to a beach buddy) and it is no problem to carry long distances. Its about 6ft long when packed, and can be strapped up with your rods and tripod.
I wouldn't like to use one on a hard surface (prom/breakwater) as you would have to tie it down - it is designed to work with sand/shingle kicked over the skirt that runs round the bottom.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
I have used mine on a beach,(shingle) in force 6/7 and it was fine once up!
They aint light so if you are going a good distance I hope its not for a 2 hour session!

they are excellent!

Jim

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
minutes to assemble (the rt one anyways), fished last Nov in a force 8 s/w blow, ie, right at us, the beach buddy held solid, I however had to spend most of my time outside it, getting blown about all over. if i was making 50yrds with 8oz i'll be surprised. next morning i heard from a pal that the marine weather stn (less than a mile away) recorded a good few gusts running into force 10 !

as long as you take a bucket, getting them up in a force 5-6 is no bother, 7-8 is a bit tougher, though taking them down can be more dangerous!

up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFdTP8RwviE

down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYSyFT4N9cQ&feature=related

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I've had mine (RT) out in some nasty winds to, no idea how strong although I could lean forward considerably more than it would normally take to fall over and the wind kept me up, so stable in the winds? Check!

Light? The RT is probably no heavier than a brolly. I take mine with me when I go the wall at Aldeburgh which is a touch over 3 miles. OK, my shoulder is calling me all sorts of names by the time I get there, but i get there!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi,

I'm A John Holden Beach Buddy fan, if you can afford to pay that little bit extra they are well worth the money. They are easy to put up & dismantle and will withstand all weather.

There is nothing better than to have a brew in a windfree dry shelter when it is "pooin doon" on a cold windy night.

Regards

Drew

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
wouldnt be without mine, (RT) not used it in mega wind yet but told they are fine. bit awkward and lumpy to carry long distance but worth the effort for the longer session
wouldnt fancy using it on hard surface though, its best for the beach

·
Registered
305 Posts
yeah, like all the above...I love my Ron.

Wouldn't be without it now for winter beach fishin...

Really surprisingly stable, bone dry, can't believe i used to go out without one.

I think they're a fair bit heavier and more bulky than any brolly i've ever owned, but as said above you can strap all your rods and tripod to it and it carries all right, wouldn't fancy scrambling down cliffs with it all though...

Ade.

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers for replies.

As its easy to put up, I presume it aint to much hassle moving it up/down the beach to follow the tide - presuming your stuff is tidy inside it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts