World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went fishing the over day and when i started to pack up i got my beach caster and went to seperate the two joints but it wont sepeate i drived home with the hole beach caster hanging out the window does any one no how to get them to seperated i been trying for ages but it wont budge.

·
Registered
49 Posts
hi is it a fibreglass spigot or a metal one .fibre glass will sometimes seperate if you just hold the butt section and shake it in a circular motion .if the spigot is brass gentle heat may do the trick.hope this of some help to you.cheers fawlty :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FAWLTY said:
hi is it a fibreglass spigot or a metal one .fibre glass will sometimes seperate if you just hold the butt section and shake it in a circular motion .if the spigot is brass gentle heat may do the trick.hope this of some help to you.cheers fawlty :)

it is the same as your rod the moon racker

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi Bassmaster,

The trick I learnt from an old pro always works, but you need three people have two people pulling the either end of the rod firmly but dont go mad :mad: then stand in the middle at the joint and move the joint in a cirular motion while the pressure is being applied (this makes you look particularly silly from behind and has caused many laughs in Veals), if this does not work your officially buggered! :eek: As I've never known it fail. You'll just have to buy a limo to go fishing in!

Good Luck, Garry

p.s. let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Oh by the way gentle heat can cause the resin to fuse bad idea unless both male and female furrules are brass and on a cane rod! :eek:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Soak it in fairy liquid or the ever useful WD40 over night. Drench a rag with either one then secure it to the joint for the evening.

It sounds a bit gross but I spit on my beachcaster joints before I assemble them.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Bassmaster,

Whatever you do, DO NOT APPLY ANY FORM OF HEAT.

PM Fred, he has a foolproof method which works every time.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Garry said:
Hi Bassmaster,

The trick I learnt from an old pro always works, but you need three people have two people pulling the either end of the rod firmly but dont go mad :mad: then stand in the middle at the joint and move the joint in a cirular motion while the pressure is being applied (this makes you look particularly silly from behind and has caused many laughs in Veals), if this does not work your officially buggered! :eek: As I've never known it fail. You'll just have to buy a limo to go fishing in!

Good Luck, Garry

p.s. let us know how you get on.
hi your way worked but when i put the beach caster back togeter it got stuck again but before i put it to gether i put vassiline on the joints and its stuck again have you got any tips.

G

·
It happened to me recently, there was driving down the M4 with a Carbon Metal sticking out the window, with the help of my local tackle shop owner we managed to seperate them. I have been informed that rubbing a little bit of candle wax on the male end will help.

If you need to sand the male end down, use the finest wet 'n' dry you can get, and only do it a little bit at a time!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
put your rod behind your back gripping ether side of the joint with your hands ,lower the rod so that it sits just behind your knees .keep your hand close together and force apart with your legs .works for me every time .
hope that helps :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
hi,
the tip i use is hold the but between your knees wrap your rod bag around the joint grasping both ends of the rodbag pull up and down in a fast motion this will warm up the joint and expand it and off it comes workes for me also a dusting of graphite powder will stop the sticking..slice a pencil lenthways and take out the lead using fine sandpaper sand down the lead put into an old film container and put it in your tackle box for a light dusting now and again, clive

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Drew said:
PM Fred, he has a foolproof method which works every time
Fred's twist and pull method worked for me on my Greys beachcaster which got stuck a few weeks ago. Did you get any moisture on the rod before you put it together? Moisture in the joint can cause an air seal to form making the rod difficult to pull apart.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Same thing happened to a mate of mine....his CME was locked solid,then someone suggested taking the butt cap off,as this can create a vacuum....it worked a treat ;)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi, I have had the same problem and I used candle wax and just worked the male and female ends together and apart several times.

redhead

G

·
roadtramp said:
If possible remove the but cap.you have a vacume caused by damp etc.once you release the pressure should come apart.
The cap on my rod has a small hole in there, which I assume was to stop it from happening. I suspect that it was the weather, it was a bloody hot day!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have had this problem a couple of times. Daiwa advise, and it works, no heat or lubricants, just twist and pull. It helps if you have a second pair of hands to twist while you pull. After seperation a small amount of candle wax on the male spigot is recommended. The emphasis was on small.

If it happens to me again, I intend doing it to music, "Lets twist and pull like we did last summer" :D :D :D Do you think it will be a hit. If it is I will sign copies of the CD gratis for members of WSF.

Fred

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Sounds like 'Sound-Pollution' to me. No wonder the ferrules/spigots stuck! The usual reason these days has to be air-pressure/suction simply because the manufacturing tolerences are so fine. The pin-hole in the butt (sounds vauguely painful and the result of eating strange food/drink devoid of 'roughage'!) is both logical and sensible.

Heat and resin don't mix and, as spigots have to be attached by something, usually an adhesive using similar chemistry, then this is a disaster becoming Front page news! I have to remove an undersized spigot from a butt I am converting and hope that well organised heat will aid me. When modern golf club heads are being re-shafted (ooh!!, painful!) then the epoxy adhesive is made partially liquid using CAREFUL heat directed speciffically at the shaft/iron connection!

This works for 'carbon' shafts as well as steel so if disaster occurs and you manage to de-spigot your rod, then don't despair! Go look for a Golf Pro., trade in your rods, and take up golf!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts