World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to sea fishing, (first season), and my initial equipment is Penn Squadron 2 12ft, Shakespear Affinity 8000. All going well and covered for the mackerel and bass fishing at Chesil this summer.

I'm now looking for something to fish for Cod and some flatties, and from the searching I have done, it looks like a move to a longer beach caster and better reel would be a good move. My questions are:

1. Would a 15ft Conti be the right place to go, and if so what is good for about £100 ish
2. Should I get a better reel - eg a Penn Battle or is that overkill for the rod?

I'm looking to spend about £200 in total, so at the budget end.

I welcome all thoughts and comments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi dbos,
My advise is not to spend anymore money, apart from gear for other rigs & bits & pieces for the fish you hope to catch . What was a good venue for Cod 30+ years ago, is´nt now.
Talk to your tackle shop, and or fellow Anglers for whats been caught in your area. Sure spend money when you`ve got the best from your gear and you think you can do better by buying something else.Food for thought!. Get the Basics right, then everything comes easier without braking the bank. However,when the impusle is to much and you want a 15+ft rod, the Penn Rampge 3 piece 15,9'' 4-6 oz Multi or fixed spool reel will work with your Reel. I have only used mine with a multi and am happy mainly round Zeeland Netherlands, basically sandy bottoms.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts