World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a new rod.

My Moonraker is aged and the Team Diawa has some bad rings and is also well aged/weathered/F**ked

I can just about stretch to about a ton without losing any vitals parts when the mrs finds out.

any recommendations?

Cheers

Dan

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Have a look in the tackle section as there have been lots of reviews and threads started for rods around the £100 - £150 mark. Either search for "rods under £200" or have a look at pages 3-8 on "tackle disussions"

In brief the answers were Greys GRX-s and Diawa Sandstorm both for £100.

·
Registered
21,232 Posts
don't know what they're like,but the fox challenger beach rods are going at half price,which makes them about £80 now:)

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
There are alot of half price Fox rods around at the moment and I think there may be a good reason for that. It's worth having a look at them though so you know whether to have them on your list or not.

Again I'm sure there are a couple of threads about Fox rods under the "tackle discussions" section. . . . . .

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Local tackle shop has some Fladen War Bird I think? it was for £80 tackle shop seemed to think it was a real good rod, but then he would. just wondered what was about for a simmilar price or if anyoen had used a warbird??

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Local tackle shop has some Fladen War Bird I think? it was for £80 tackle shop seemed to think it was a real good rod, but then he would. just wondered what was about for a simmilar price or if anyoen had used a warbird??
Hi Dan........The warbird got quite a good reveiw by Barney Wright a while ago.....its is suppose to handle up to 8oz.......so im not sure how fine the tip is......see if you can sorce one local and give it the once over

MrB

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
i have a greys greyflex s. it costs £129 but you can get it for cheaper. its an amazing rod!! really really nice rod. i also have a moonraker, and it has to be one of my favourite rods i have!!!

go for the greysflex or daiwa sandstorm.

Jamie

·
Registered
116 Posts
Super cast x 120M by Daiwa was my best bargain rod, it was around the £100 mark If I remember correctly. Ideal for the clean beaches of sussex

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've had one of the new Penn Powersticks 13' (£65 from Trago Mills), with a Penn surfmaster 850 (£50 Veals). Can't fault either I'm well chuffed, especially as I bought them for my Son (so the FPO thinks!). I also have a Penn Outasight and Supermag (£200 combo Veals) and I think the Powerstick is better value.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I have a Penn Powerstix Surf 15ft M/FS. I have used both multiplyers and F/S reels on it and it cast beautifully. At the moment using OTG I can get about 140 with the F/S and am up to 110 with the Multi, but still have to use max magnets on the multi to stop birdies, at the moment, butI am sure it will easily top 150 with the multi with a bit more practice. It is also very good at indicating bites.

Penns have just stopped making them, which is a pain but Weymouth Angling Centre have some in stock, cost £96.

If you are not looking for a pro TC type rod, I would go for this. It is three piece and comes with hard case as well.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I do own a fladen warbird, the 16ft version with 3 tips, it is a very good rod for fixed spool and braid beach fishing. I recommend it for that but wouldnt use it for anything else

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i fish predominantly off beaches, portsmouth, hayling, selsey, witterings.

It's what i am after. Cheers for all the replies guys, given me a couple of alternatives to look at also.

just want something that will cast ok, and bite detection is ok.
would lovea zziplex or conoflex but cannot warrant the money and worry about buying a second hand one of eBay. Some things i have no problem getting from eBay but would like my rod to be new. that way if it gets f'ed up it is my fault not something someone else has done and i have inherited.

does that make sense?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
i fish predominantly off beaches, portsmouth, hayling, selsey, witterings.

It's what i am after. Cheers for all the replies guys, given me a couple of alternatives to look at also.

just want something that will cast ok, and bite detection is ok.
would lovea zziplex or conoflex but cannot warrant the money and worry about buying a second hand one of eBay. Some things i have no problem getting from eBay but would like my rod to be new. that way if it gets f'ed up it is my fault not something someone else has done and i have inherited.

does that make sense?
Hi mate i fish witterings and selsey all the time, john at s.a.s reckons that the diawa sandstorm is the perfect rod for my type of fishing, they are apparently good for whacking it out and have a good detection too, i have to wait for my birthday in a few weeks for it. but i had a whip of it outside the shop and it feels pretty good, its marked up for around the 100 quid mark go have a touchy feely session before you buy, just dont be shy to ask mate.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Just remember you dont need a hundred pound rod to catch fish ;) I've never spent over £30 on a rod and i've caught some great fish :D
Mtm

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have always had pants rods or inherited rods (the team diawa and the diawa moonraker) but they are aged and quite frankly i have had a substantial pay rise this month and want to treat myself and it is also my birthday in a few weeks. Time for a new rod. Will be looking for a reel too but thats a different post.

·
Registered
462 Posts
My bro has a Diawa Sandstorm 12ft multi its a nice looking rod looks double the price easily but it struggles to bring in a dogfish of about 2lbs in weight the tip is so floppy on them.

it casts great and recovers well but the only down fall i can think of is the floppyness of the rod whilst winding in somthing small it just keals over and makes it a mission

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I have the Fox Shoremaster which is at the cheaper end of the market at £45, it is a lot of rod for the money and was better the some rods I looked at that were £20 more. I would assume that the dearer Fox's were also great value for money and well worth a look at.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I recently bought a Shimano nexave (£90) and I'm very happy with it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts