World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought i would ask a quick question :

Does anyone use braid with a fixed spool reel and beach casting rod?

i mean beach casting with a lead 5 or 6 ounce for better distance casting

ive got braid on my lure reel but my lures go to 30g. ive seen braid loaded on a multiplier reel but how does braid cast off the finger if its loaded onto a fixed spool?

anyone recomend a good fixed spool / rod combo for using braid ? sorry if the answer is obvious its just not a set up ive used for beach casting before

cheers! Mark

·
Banned
2,660 Posts
I think they use a finger stall for casting braid with a FS reel. Protects from braid cuts.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
I use braid on my FS for shore fishing and I would hate to have to return to mono....Re casting, I use Breakaway Canon instead of a finger stall and I am very pleased with them...

·
I'M PROBABLY SICK OF IT
13,649 Posts
I use 60lb braid on a fixed spool, no leader. Cast 5oz no prob, I don’t use a finger stall , got to take it easy on first few casts with new Braid as it can wind knit but once bedded in its no prob. I use a 4.2m continue or 12 ft beach caster.
Whats the diameter on that braid mate ?

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I use a 'continental' rod and any decent sized big pit reel. I use 30lb braid on the beach with a tapered mono leader so don't need finger nonsense and the mono takes some abrasion.
For rough ground I use 80lb braid direct and don't bother with finger things as you ain't casting far

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use a 'continental' rod and any decent sized big pit reel. I use 30lb braid on the beach with a tapered mono leader so don't need finger nonsense and the mono takes some abrasion.
For rough ground I use 80lb braid direct and don't bother with finger things as you ain't casting far
does having a mono leader hae an effect on casting distance with braid?

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I don't think so. All the power from the cast is so quickly applied to the braid which due to its diameter flies out I'm not convinced it has a noticeable effect.
The tapered leaders don't tend to be too stretchy either.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I have a fixed spool with 66lb braid straight through for chucking 5oz leads, use a breakaway cannon just to be safe, dont want my finger getting cut. Although some say it only is an issue using braid of under 40lb.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
We use braid mainline and braid leaders down here, either 35+75 or 50+150 for heavy surf fishing in open ocean waters - virtually everyone uses a Breakaway Canon as a release mechanism, though a few use finger stalls. There is an alternative mechanical release from Poledark on here.

We are casting 5-7oz sinkers plus big baits at times, and no problems at all. Pretty much as soon as all the competition guys started using braid, they moved away from using mono leaders and switched to braid + braid.

My wife is fishing an International next week - all 7 ladies in the team will be using that type of set up with 5 or 6oz sinkers an baits targeting a variety of shark species, without any hesitation.

Hope that helps

Reactions: ebo

·
Registered
141 Posts
i use braid in 20lb breaking strain which im sure has a diameter of 0.18 .combined with a mono tapered shock leader on my fixed spools. i always cast short and build up distance when its new braid on my spools until its bedded in nicely. takes about 5 0r 6 casts of increasing distance and im happy to blast it after that.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I used to use braid and a mono leader, But found that I could feel the join knot snag as it went through the end eyes. So I switched to braid straight through. My casting is a bit further.
When casting make sure your finger is dry. If you let the braid slip it does cut.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We use braid mainline and braid leaders down here, either 35+75 or 50+150 for heavy surf fishing in open ocean waters - virtually everyone uses a Breakaway Canon as a release mechanism, though a few use finger stalls. There is an alternative mechanical release from Poledark on here.

We are casting 5-7oz sinkers plus big baits at times, and no problems at all. Pretty much as soon as all the competition guys started using braid, they moved away from using mono leaders and switched to braid + braid.

My wife is fishing an International next week - all 7 ladies in the team will be using that type of set up with 5 or 6oz sinkers an baits targeting a variety of shark species, without any hesitation.

Hope that helps
cheers for the info! that really helps!

one question :what knot do you use for attching braid mainline to braid leader? my worry is with line losses, braid isnt cheap when its through and through on the reel

again thanks!

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
cheers for the info! that really helps!

one question :what knot do you use for attching braid mainline to braid leader? my worry is with line losses, braid isnt cheap when its through and through on the reel

again thanks!
Usually I double the mainline braid with a spider hitch, which allows me to use a double of the mainline braid to form an 8 turn Uni-knot, then another 8 turn Uni-knot in the leader - moisten and slide together. Nice and neat, easy to tie with cold wet hands, and relatively small, for ease of flight through rings.

There are many other braid to braid knots which people swear by or swear at - for surf fishing I just need something that is easy to tie, and reliable.

Cheers from sunny Africa.

Reactions: ebo

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm a braid convert and use tapered mono leaders which makes for a small connecting knot. No need for finger protection when casting with a mono shock leader but never the less I've just purchased a breakaway cannon.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
60lb braid straight through on my fixed spool. Got some cut 5 gloves for casting with though with that diameter of braid (0.35mm) it's not too much of an issue

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Switched from mono to 60lb braid a year ago and there's no turning back for me. No more pissing about retying lost shock leaders on a cold night, more distance and you feel the fight more. Ok you'll have to keep stitching your finger back on but its worth it.

·
Registered
11,082 Posts
I've used braid on all my spin reels for around 20 years. On the beach outfits I use a length of mono leader long enough so that when I cast my fingers are touching mono not braid. I use pr knots as these are slick smooth for traveling over the rod rings and not catching against the braid.

By the way I use braid labeled as 15lb and mono labeled at 20lb, the reason I state labeled is because lines true breaking strains are nearly always far heavier than the label states. I cast weights of 4-6oz and often whole baits up to 500g. Casting big baits is into deep shore gutters or into rips that suck the baits far out to sea, range isn't a concern as big predators come extremely close to shore in my parts.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Sorry. Am I missing something. I thought braid was used for its thinner diameter, so cutting down the impact of 1) wind when casting 2) tide when trying to hold bottom. So why use 60/70/80lb braid straight through? :confused2:

1 - 20 of 78 Posts