World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be a good idea and post on here since I've ended up accumulating a (relatively) moderate amount of gear without really getting into fishing.

Essentially, the main fishing I have been doing is feathering for mackerel and the current gear I have is the Shakespeare Agility 2 Flattie 10ft6 and the Daiwa D4000. I've had the reel since I started feathering and the Flattie since last year. One of the only reasons why I started with feathering because my friends and I were pretty frugal.

I came to the decision that I wanted to try beach fishing when the feathering season is out. I jumped the gun a bit and pulled the trigger on a new Shakespeare Agility 2 Continental Surf 15ft and Shimano Ultegra XTD 14000. I also managed to get a Shimano Titanos Aerlex GT8000 and a 12ft nondescript spod rod labeled 'The Spod Rod' for £25.

Currently the Ultegra has 19lb on mono line with 60lb of mono shock leader (to the recommendation of a local shop). The Aerlex has 10lb and 30lb braided shock leader (this was set up for spodding).

As far as I'm aware, the species in my area are smoothhounds, stingrays/rays, dogfish, whiting, flounder, school bass, pout, codling, flounder and plaice - I’m probably missing a few but that’s what I’ve gathered from local fishing websites and shops. The beaches are all sand/mud with few snags and we have two sea walls - one gradually sloping and any other than gives way into deep water.

I have come to the point where I (as a beginner) would like some advice based on my current gear and how it’s set up for the fish I’m going for as well as the ones I could go for. Would love to know if I could make use of that spod rod as well.

Sorry for the essay.

Cheers

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yes, you will be able to use the "spod rod" it should have a test curve between 4 and 5lb.
You will be able to use it for ledgering with whatever weight you can comfortably cast with. Some people may say a spod rod is a bit lifeless but will do a good job feathering.
Good luck and let us know how you get on

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Cheers for the responses.

Yes, you will be able to use the "spod rod" it should have a test curve between 4 and 5lb.
You will be able to use it for ledgering with whatever weight you can comfortably cast with. Some people may say a spod rod is a bit lifeless but will do a good job feathering.
Good luck and let us know how you get on
The guy I bought the rod from said the same thing about it. I'm going to try and go feathering at some point and I'll let you know how it is.

Why have you put good reels on pretty much sh#te rods seems a bit strange.
I pretty much went by reccomendations from local shops and posts on here. I could've been taken advantage of but I'd be the last to know in all honesty.

I've not used the Shakespeare Agility 2 yet so I'm not sure what it's like but I like flattie. I could return it and go for another rod in the same price range (not that it would make huge difference to a beginner like me). What would you go for instead?

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you're on a limited budget the second hand market can allways throw up a bargain. Saying that mate try you're shakey you might love it. My brief encounter with a cheap conti nearly put me off them all together, far too floppy especially in winter conditions. There are some reasonable priced 13ft rods such as Leeda which are pretty good for the price.
Youre shimano reels will serve you well as long as you look after them, dont forget to rinse them off after a session. Good luck with the fishing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts