World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just need to get some new waterproofs.

Not sure whether to go for one-piece or two piece.

Uses mainly for beach/shore and occasional rock/harbour fishing. Fairly lightweight, not too heavy. (I sweat easily, which doesn't help keeping specs in place.) But loose enough to add extra layers of clothing. Good hood. Some flotation capabilities for safety. Economical.

Any thoughts?

Also sizing is a mystery. I cannot find anyone who can explain what sizes, e.g. XL, relate to....chest, leg, etc.. I know that one one manufacturer's XL or XXL is somewhat different to another's. But are there any accepted standards, especially when ordering online? Otherwise one can be buying and returning ad-infitum. (I bought some chest waders couple of years ago. Size XXL (boot size 12) Waist and chest ideal, but inside leg suitable for someone with 37" leg. My inside measures 32", so have a baggy bit hanging round the knees... so, OK, I'm an odd shape!)

Thanks for any ideas

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just need to get some new waterproofs.

Not sure whether to go for one-piece or two piece.

Uses mainly for beach/shore and occasional rock/harbour fishing. Fairly lightweight, not too heavy. (I sweat easily, which doesn't help keeping specs in place.) But loose enough to add extra layers of clothing. Good hood. Some flotation capabilities for safety. Economical.

Any thoughts?

Also sizing is a mystery. I cannot find anyone who can explain what sizes, e.g. XL, relate to....chest, leg, etc.. I know that one one manufacturer's XL or XXL is somewhat different to another's. But are there any accepted standards, especially when ordering online? Otherwise one can be buying and returning ad-infitum. (I bought some chest waders couple of years ago. Size XXL (boot size 12) Waist and chest ideal, but inside leg suitable for someone with 37" leg. My inside measures 32", so have a baggy bit hanging round the knees... so, OK, I'm an odd shape!)

Thanks for any ideas
No more odd shaped than me lol try protac clothing (Invader boats) will do made to mesure if needed I had one made earlyer this year for my course fishing a two peice and it cost £185 best money I ever spent

·
Registered
198 Posts
Where i fish in Sunderland i wear...
x2 pairs of jeans
x2 t-shirts
x2 jumpers
x1 water-proof coat
x3 pairs of socks
x1 pair of boots
x2 pairs of gloves
x2 wooly hats
x1 wooly face mask.

And in the winter i put extra on :crazy::laugh:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I first bought an all in one suit for £40 but if you get hot you cant just take the top off. I now own a 2 piece floatation suit. It is the cross flow one and it is great. It is quite light but extreamly warm. I had my chest waders on and the jacket with a jumper on in a force 12 gale the other week and I was toasty.
I wore the suit last winter in minus 4 with a t shirt, jumper, jeans and wellies and was hot.
Wish I had this 20 years ago when I wore a couple of pairs of jeans, loads of jumpers and a coat but still froze to death.
Clothing today is supererb and reasonably priced.
Definitely go for a 2 piece NOT an all in one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Brian
Thanks for the thoughts re: 1 pce. v. 2 pce flotation suits. Your words have convinced me that a 2 pce. would be more advantageous thinking of top/bottom/wader/welly combos.
You suggest Crossflow. Looking at other Sunbridge suits like En-Tec and SAS MK 5 & 6.
Also Bison flotation suits. Just need to decide.
Many thanks again.
Tom

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hiya, men's sizes usually go up in 2" intervals. L being 38-40 if I remember rightly. Therefore every time you add an X you should add 2", i.e. XL = 42-44".
You think you have problems, try getting any of this gear to fit a 5' 3" woman!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
hiya, i know floatation suits are great and many anglers wear them and rightly so, personally i avoid them ,i find them very heavy and they make me sweat even when its freezing i also find them a real hinderance when trying to hit range and climb around over rocks, i try to keep things as simple as possible and just wear the basics- some thermals a pair of imax rock trousers and a couple thin sweat shirts , for my wet weather gear i just went down the old army navy store and bought some camoflague waterproofs for 20 quid and they keep me dry in any conditions. i know this idea isnt for everyone and safety is paramount , its only what i do , all the best

1 - 7 of 7 Posts