World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just bought my first serious multiplier for beach casting after years of fixed spool use. It's a Penn 525 Mag paired with a Daiwa Supercaster 13' rod.

I've used fixed spool reels with baitrunner for all my heavy fishing until now. Sometimes the fish, mostly 7-10 lb coalie but also 8-10 lb cod, bites so violent that my tripods and rods has almost been dragged into the sea even with baitrunner set quite loose.

My question is: When the tackle is well placed on the seabed and the rod parked in my tripod, do you loosen the drag so that fish can't topple the tripod and rod into the water? Or do you fish with the drag set and grasp the rod on bite?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Thats a good setup you have, you certainly can't blame your tackle for any poor trips :)

When fishing for BIG fish (Tope :D ) I always loosen the drag and switch the ratchet (line out alarm) on.

I also adopt the same approach when fishing 2 rods, just in case I am busy with one and something happens on the other. It has certainly saved me from losing one rod...

However, under 'normal' fishing circumstance I wouldn't bother with all that - just prop the rod in the rest (keeping a close eye on it) and let the fish hook themselves.

Having said that.... I nearly lost a rod/reel/tripod yesterday when a seagull flew into my line while my back was turned. So far this year I have 1 seagull and 2 cormorants to my name.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts