World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi just took up beach fishing i am going near to cardigan in wales in 3 weeks got me self 2 rods with reals and line still to get end tackle and bait
all help appreciated thanks

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Hi Bertsam, you will need some wired sinkers 4 to 6oz, some hooks sizes 1/0 to 4/0 Abberdeens are good, for the bait I'd use regworm & lugworm, and dont forget some swivels and use a shock-leader so your main-line doesn't snap when you cast out, A free flying sinker can do a lot of harm if it hits anyone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
beginners may well want to use smaller hooks, such as size 2- 6 so all our 'minibeasts' can get them into their mouths. your catch rate for little uns can go up by using smaller hooks. this helps in learning unhooking and respect in treatment in our little fish, rockling, dabs, etc. aberdeens are good all round worming hooks.

the rest of the gear listed above is fine, just remember to use a sea rod YOU can bend, casting is an effortless affair with rods suited to the caster. the shockleader is essential, on my reels at the moment, both fixed spool and multiplier, i have 12lb big game line with 60lb shockleaders, to cope with the 5&1/4oz sinkers im hurling around.

a single hook rig with lugworm lobbed about 50-60yrds will account for pout, flatties rockling etc, as well as the occassional schoolie bass. casting is not the be all and end all, but a skill that comes with practice, it is more important to concentrate on location and presentation then lobbing leads to the horizion. for example i fished the low tide yesterday, i had one rod at 130yrds, and one rod at 40yrds, the 40yrd rod had all the bites. the 'distance' rod had nothing. best bet? get on the beach and enjoy it.

good luck

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Welcome m8 I'm sure you will find all you need to know from the folks round here for what it's worth my advice would be to peruse your local tackle shop and get some ready made rigs with smaller hooks because us sea anglers cheat and use rigs with more than one hook-and the adage is that you can catch a big fish on asmall hook but there ain't no way you'll catch a smaller one on a hook it can't fit in it's mouth. Also take a bit of time to talk to fishermen around Cardigan regarding best baits marks etc; Cardies have a reputation in Wales as being a bit tight fisted but so long as you don't ask them for a loan of a pound they will probably help out :):)

G

·
if you are using fixed spool reels use a tapered shock leader,best to use this sort all round i find,easier to match knot size when joining to main line,best to have hook's from size 4 upward's depending on what you're after,your rod will play a large part in how much lead you can fling about without a snap off,as will your ability and style of cast,and of course mainline b/s.
if you need any info on rigs etc e-mail [email protected] b glad 2 help. :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Welcome Bertsam. You will now discover how few fish are in the sea!
Don't just use worm baits, mussel, squid, and mackerel, are very good, and fish baits usually find the bigger fish.
You can get top frozen baits form www.baitsdirect.com. I use them exlusively, don't bother with worms now.
Their blast frozen sandeels. mussels, limpits etc are great. Just grab a couple of packs from the freezer, and off you go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts