World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

this may sound stupid, but i was down at a local mark not to long ago, and everyone was using spinning rods with lures on, and i was using a beach caster, what i would like to know is, is it still ok using say, daylights or a lure (e.g a dexter wedge) with my beachcaster, and if so, how would i go about setting it up, it seems like something i wouldn't mind having a go of.

Thanks, Elliott

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Hi mate,

It'll depend on your rod really. Lures tend to be a lot lighter than the weights we use for beachcasting. I can get away with using some lures on my bass rod, however I wouldn't try it with my 4-8oz beachcaster. Not to mention a small light rod is a real bonus when repeatedly casting out and reeling in, I find the bigger rods and weights give me a sore arm as they are not really designed for lures. You should be able to pick up a cheap spinning rod and reel for £20 or less, I allways like taking one out to mess about with anyway and small fish like mackkie on them can be real fun!

You could allways try it and see how you get on but I'd be tempted to by a cheap one and try it out.

As far as setup goes, Just tie the line on to a swivel and then clip a split ring on and then the lure. Snap link swivels are great for quick changes and if you really need a little extra weight you can buy spiral leads or ones that fold over your line.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
might have to invest then :D

would it be ok, say if i was after mackie, just to run daylights with say, a 4oz on the end?

And i have a 12foot beachcaster, 4-8oz if thats any help, im quite new to fishing

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I'm guessing daylights are somthing like hockkies? Similar to feathers etc. If so then yes but be prepared for a sore arm mate. I find anything over 2oz from the shore takes it's toll when using a sink and draw for a couple of hours.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
No problems mate, allways glad to help if I can and throw my tuppence in :) I spent a lot of time in the past making mistakes and learning from it. I've learnt the hard way but it's starting to all come together this year. I too am still learning, and a lot from this site and it members.

They will be good for mackkie, might even pick up pollock or the odd codling or gurnard too! If your arm gets tired try baiting them up with a small mackkie strip or similar, mibbies some worm on the bottom couple of hooks if the fishing is slow. Then you can leave it static and let the tide do the work with the scent trail and you may pick up a few without needing to change rigs. Remember if you hook a mackkie then stop the sink and draw for a short while, the shoal will follow the hooked fish, mistake it's behavior for feeding and grab the rest of your hooks, this way you can pull them in 6 at a time which is entertaining

·
Registered
425 Posts
you could use a 3oz lead & attach a frozen or rubber sandal or a jelly worm or chad & do a slow retrieve deep spin, that would save you going out to buy a spinning rod reel kit but this is limited for lighter lures inc surface poppers & shallow plugs bug a spinning rod 20-60 grm gr8 fun

1 - 7 of 7 Posts