World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always liked a combination of black and green beads on my plaice rigs. I have tried other combinations but they never seem as successful.
So what's your favourite bead colour combination on your plaice rigs?

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
These day Green and Black but i'm not sure how much difference it makes . I think bait is more important than beads , Ive had plenty of Plaice on Cod and Hound rigs fishing big baits without beads.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These day Green and Black but i'm not sure how much difference it makes . I think bait is more important than beads , Ive had plenty of Plaice on Cod and Hound rigs fishing big baits without beads.
I've certainly had plenty of plaice without using beads, but think sometimes a bit of bling improves things. It's funny how most people I see use green and black beads now, when I was younger it was always yellow and orange. It would be interesting to experiment.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
I've certainly had plenty of plaice without using beads, but think sometimes a bit of bling improves things. It's funny how most people I see use green and black beads now, when I was younger it was always yellow and orange. It would be interesting to experiment.
Yeah, In the eighties in my area anyway it was always Red and Yellow then suddenly everyone started using green and black . I don't think it makes a lot of difference but in some areas all you ever see people using is green and black .

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
If you subscribe to the theory that Plaice are attracted to them because they look like pea mussels then black and any light colour should do.
I think black and chrome would be a killer !
I think that's where it all started, We used to fish for Plaice from charter boats and that's what the skippers always used to say " Your fishing over mussle beds so its green and black beads today " .

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
I think that's where it all started, We used to fish for Plaice from charter boats and that's what the skippers always used to say " Your fishing over mussle beds so its green and black beads today " .
I have caught plenty of plaice over musselbeds but suprisingly only a few have actually been crammed full of small mussels.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you subscribe to the theory that Plaice are attracted to them because they look like pea mussels then black and any light colour should do.
Guess it gives me a good reason to source some chrome beads

·
Registered
7,644 Posts
If i use them, red and yellow, but i like to get a good distance cast for Plaice, so just good bait, sequin and bait stop knot.

·
Registered
7,644 Posts
Don’t they mean pea size, as appose to the colour of peas, I know mussels have a dark shell, but the flesh muscle would be yellow, orange, reddish ?, all so Rag worms, orange, red, brown and depends on season, can be green, peeler crabs Brownish, Greenish, yellow and orange, that is the way i see it, don’t know what the Plaice see?.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Don’t they mean pea size, as appose to the colour of peas, I know mussels have a dark shell, but the flesh muscle would be yellow, orange, reddish ?, all so Rag worms, orange, red, brown and depends on season, can be green, peeler crabs Brownish, Greenish, yellow and orange, that is the way i see it, don’t know what the Plaice see?.
Yes pea size and i see green as just a contrasting colour .
Who knows though even the UK mussels may show up as green lipped to a Plaice.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I always swore by them but, like Colin said, sometimes I’d fish in a line of 50+ anglers on packed plaice marks and simply extra yards made more difference so pared back, simple rigs , even short snood single hook ones, would often outfish beaded up rigs ....

when I DID fish beaded rigs the green & black were successful but orange & black probably slightly more so up here over sand & shell beds in comparatively shallow water... there was one exception though, as it gets warmer here Plaice become very hard to tempt- they’re still out in the channels as boats pick up numbers in nets but clean one & you’d find them stuffed full of little pink shells, as a kid people always called them ‘Hen pennies’ ..... heaven knows why ... I think they’re juvenile pink Tellins to give them their proper name but anyway up the fish seem to have nothing else in their stomachs come about June/ July and are buggers to get to take a bait. I figured a heap of pink or pink/white beads worth a try and had some limited success when others gave up til back end and cooler weather/water. I’d get a lot of ‘false’ plucking bites which I attributed to fish nipping at the beads -but on occasion a bit of lug/crab or creeper would be taken .

I suppose it all depends on your area/water etc but that’s one time, from desperation more than anything,that I’d go outside the box and try pink beads.....

·
Registered
13,467 Posts
Just to add to the mix, black and greens on the rigs, I did make some other ones up with some reflective tape folded over like a small thin sandeel shape near the hook.
Id have betted that some yellow wouldve done well early on with, a slightly murky sea, works with other lures very well.
never tried them yet.

·
Registered
10,537 Posts
Do you really believe they are needed. I saw a video where bait was placed in a wire basket and dozens of place picked away at the food in front of the camera, not a bead in sight.

·
Registered
13,467 Posts
Do you really believe they are needed. I saw a video where bait was placed in a wire basket and dozens of place picked away at the food in front of the camera, not a bead in sight.
plaice take lures jon, they do use sight to get their dinner. A moving rig with some visual attractant will out fish a static bait only jobbie by a mile.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Flatties are definitely inquisitive by nature. I'd be more inclined to give the rod a hoick so puff up a bit of sand than use beads that help pollute the seabed. When I was a teenager I used to catch plaice by using a light weight and reeling in painfully slowly. Worked a treat in the right situation. More recently when slow drifting for turbot in the autumn months, to get cuttlefish to let go of the bait I periodically (every 5 mins) gave the rod a good old hoick and often that drew the turbot into striking. By doing this I definitely caught more than my companions, normally it's a pretty even affair.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Some really interesting points on here, certainly some food for thought. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I use red/yellow and green/black for plaice on my boat, both combinations I find are very similar in performance.
What I do find is on most days is that the addition of a Delta Sonar Spoon or a home made one out fishes plain beads and plain bait, and usually by a fair bit.
I would add this is not every time tho, but the times it does do outnumber the times it don't.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts