World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With today being the only day looking like it was fishable, no wind and sunshine, thought we'd go and try and catch some flatfish. Met up with jazzledog and kernowcodder onboard Northern Lights. Left the harbour around 0830 and first stop was for mackerel, didn't take long, got some nice little joeys which would have been perfect for bass bait, but we were after flatfish. Mixed in with the mackerel were a few nice pilchards. Next stop flatfish grounds, second drift produced a small turbot, third drift a couple of small plaice, then when the tide slowed down it seemed so did the fishing. However, we did manage a grey and tub gurnard. We moved out to some rougher ground and got pestered by cuckoo wrasse, but did manage a couple of pollack and ling and a nice brown bream (pouting). Thought we'd try back on the sand for the last couple of hours, the drift was very slow on the flood tide, but we did manage a blonde and small eyed ray with the inevitable LSD. Headed back to the harbour about 1600, not a bad days fishing, not the best, but beautiful sunshine, flat seas and good company. You have to take the days when the weather allows as 30 mph westerly gales are on the way tomorrow. All in all a good day on the water. No big specimens, but ended with 13 species, including 4 not caught before for my crewman. Andy:boat:

Attachments

·
Registered
25,238 Posts
ARGGGGH!!!!!!! I was working today and its typical its a nice day when i am not able to go out on the boat!!!! Very nice amount of species,no cod??? Welldone all!!!!!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Nice fishing Andy

so Jealous, after I sat depressed in my office yesterday looking out over a calm Yacht Haven.

Would not like to have been out there today, especially not on Millbrook or messina LOL

Charlie

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Charlie
Best thing I ever did was go self employed. When there is a window in the weather, I only have myself to ask if I can have a day off to go fishing!! I don't know about you, but we pushed the weather on the millbrook a few times, I can remember coming back from Guernsey in a force 8 gusting 9, guess who was the only person able to stand up to take the wheel for the whole trip? When we got back into Plymouth, the first question from the rest of the crew was "where is our scran"? Guess what the answer was?

·
Registered
563 Posts
I can definatly see the appeal mate

Those boats were not built for that weather, but we also went out in it quite a few times on a friday, coming back from the Channel Islands.

Your little Galley was never my favorite spot in such conditions, lying on the seats in the dining room was more to my taste.
I have never ever been seasick , but boy did I get close a couple of times on Messina

Charlie

Hi Charlie
Best thing I ever did was go self employed. When there is a window in the weather, I only have myself to ask if I can have a day off to go fishing!! I don't know about you, but we pushed the weather on the millbrook a few times, I can remember coming back from Guernsey in a force 8 gusting 9, guess who was the only person able to stand up to take the wheel for the whole trip? When we got back into Plymouth, the first question from the rest of the crew was "where is our scran"? Guess what the answer was?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts