World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well been nearly 15years since I last went fishing with my long since gone dad and decided that once again it was time to dust everything off and give it a bash. Still have the rods and my trusty, all be it old penn reel. But thats all I have.

From bits I can remember I know what I need to buy in terms of line and shockleader but not really the line strength (or is it test, I don't do terminology normally ;-) )

Next bit is where to go, and what rigs and really a beginners guide. Me and the old man used to fish Rotunda beach right under the pier and used to have some good although sometimes limited success, Deal Pier was another favourite with Dad landing a 4lb Sole from there once. (That after me persuading him to venture to the pier).

Any advice or general direction would be appreciated. Live in Ashford so ca pretty much get anywhere in Kent within reason.

Thanks

15,082 Posts
Welcome to the forum mate.I dont beach fish but there are plenty around on here that do.Im sure you will get all the help you need.Just hang around a while and the help will come rolling in!!

Ron

G

·
A big welcome from me too. Dont take any notice of what Ron says about me. its all lies.:secret:
I am also not really a beach angler, like Ron I am a boat man, but there are plenty of very competent anglers in Kent, not so many from the Essex side but we are doing our best to educate them.
I am sure someone will be along shortly with all sorts of useful (and useless) advice.
Terry
( I am the one with the big stick that I am supposed to use on the rabble rousers on here, but they wont let me. They start calling me names and stuff:wah: :crazy: :bones:)

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Welcome to the site mate,
Unlike Ron and Cascars, I am a beach angler, trouble is I come fron Essex, I can help you with where to fish in Essex, but where is Kent? And as for what Cascars said about the Essex anglers just ask him who won both of the Kent v Essex matches :clap3:
Still hang around as Ron says, yhere are some very good Kent shore anglers, just not as good as us Essex lads:)

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Welcome to the site Siaus I am also from the Essex side of the water but you will find the Kent lads very helpfull in the local venuse to fish Im sure they will be around soon to give you some first class advice.

Alan

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Hi mate,

nice to see new blood on the forum, I fish both beach and boat (all boat fishing done with cascars). The beach fishing is mostly done on the Kent coast and when i get the chance i fish the North West.
Here to help

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Welcome to the Site mate.
Your memory of Deal Pier should be left as it is.
Although it still produces fish from time to time it has become a tackle grave yard!
Between Deal Castle and the Boats (going west) is OK, I prefer 2 hours down and 3 hrs up the tide.
I reckon most folks over cast the fish there and suggest a max of 50 yds out most of the time at high water- just to where the shingle levels off and a bit past it if necessary.
Use soft wired grip leads to get out of the clay.
I find a 4 oz of soft wired weight works most of the time.
Breakaways seem to dig in too deep to break out easily.
15 lb main line and for shock leaders 10lb og breaking strain per oz. of weight (6oz weight = 60lb BS)
15 to 20lb hoook lengths and hooks from size 1 to size 2/0.
Rigs. 2 or 3 hook paternoster or a 2ft running leger with a single hook paternoster 2 feet above the weight are good basic rigs.
Braid is only OK for fixed spool reels and great for spinning, although expensive compared with mono.
Lug, squid and sand eel baits work well.
Mackerel not bad but not as good.
If you do a search for "knots" you will turn up some useful links.
The North Kent coast is under rated, I am giving it some serious attention this year but have blanked there so far.
I live in hope.
There are plenty more guys on here who will give you far better advice than I can.
Ask, Read and Learn.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Well been nearly 15years since I last went fishing with my long since gone dad and decided that once again it was time to dust everything off and give it a bash. Still have the rods and my trusty, all be it old penn reel. But thats all I have.

From bits I can remember I know what I need to buy in terms of line and shockleader but not really the line strength (or is it test, I don't do terminology normally ;-) )

Next bit is where to go, and what rigs and really a beginners guide. Me and the old man used to fish Rotunda beach right under the pier and used to have some good although sometimes limited success, Deal Pier was another favourite with Dad landing a 4lb Sole from there once. (That after me persuading him to venture to the pier).

Any advice or general direction would be appreciated. Live in Ashford so ca pretty much get anywhere in Kent within reason.

Thanks

Welcome to the site, I too used to fish with my late father and I can understand how you feel. I have been shore fishing for over fifty years now, I am not a pier fisherman but my Dad was..... he liked to fish the Admiralty Pier at Dover but word has it that during the summer months fishing at that venue is now a nightmare. As stated above Deal Pier is now a graveyard for tackle....snags galore. My favorite spots are still Sandwich Bay, Dungeness, Denge Marsh, Kingsdown and Shakespeare beach. Shakespeare beach is good for mackerel if you are after a few for a barbie, they tend to swim just off the beach before turning as they approach the Admiralty pier, sometimes very close to the shore, also good for plaice and doggy's, parking is quite good. Some guys who post on this forum fish Hythe but I'm not sure what the venue is like since Dave the Dolphin arrived last year.
Welcome back to the sport, I have noticed a drastic change in techniques over the years, I have moved along with some but not with others, bit of a stick in the mud but still enjoying the sport and still catching fish. :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the helpful replies. Hopefully going to try and get out some the Witsun Week at the end of the month (just so happens to be brithday time at the same time) and start afresh. Main thing now is start to get the collection of bits and bobs together again. Could advice there about hooks and I really didn't know about the whole formula for Shock as well. Definitly learnt a few things already.

Anyone recommend some good tackle shops in South East Kent. I did notice the Thanet tackle forums as well but might be a bit far for me to get to just to get the tackle..

And with a bit of practice I'll try and add another name to Kent fisherman over Essex ones :clap2:

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Anyone recommend some good tackle shops in South East Kent. I did notice the Thanet tackle forums as well but might be a bit far for me to get to just to get the tackle
Hi if you're not close to a tackle shop you can always buy stuff over the internet. Veals is a good place to look. Their site is www.veals.co.uk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts