World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking my boat out fishing for the first time next weekend and would welcome any advice on offer.
I have fished occasionally from the beach and have caught mackerel and Pollock on feathers from the boat (usually when my wife is sun bathing!) near the shore, but have no other fishing experience.
I am planning on spending a day fishing (wife away) with a mate (also very little fishing experience) and would like a successful day.
Not too concerned what we catch (Sea Bass would be nice), but would appreciate some advice regarding gear, bait, methods, locations etc to make the day as successful as possible.
My boat is suitable for fishing most places (category B (offshore)) and is equipped with navigation and fish finding electronics and berthed at Sovereign Harbour (Eastbourne)
A lot to ask I know, but any help or advice would be most welcome.

G

·
Just outside of sovereign harbour is the wreck of the Barn Hill. You will usually see several boats there at this time of year. You will normally find plenty of mackerel there but it is also a good spot for Bass.
Have a rod each set up for the Bass with a Portland or Flying Collar rig (do a search for how to set make these up) and another rod with a set of feathers for the mackerel. On the Bass rod you can either use a reasonable size treble hook or a large single. This needs to be passed through the snout of the mackerel without fastening the top and bottom jaws together.
As soon as you get a couple of mackerel stick them on the other rods and start a drift from uptide of the wreck after letting the mackerel down to just above the highest point of the wreck. Make sure that your clutch is set quite loose and do not let go of the rod. If you get a take from a bass it will hit very hard. Do not strike if you feel a take, bass will usually hit the bait once to stun it and then turn around and take it.
There is a good chance that it will try and take your line into the wreck so use your thumb on the spool to prevent this until you have got it far enough from the safety of the wreck.
Your other option is to get a reasonable size float and float fish the mackerel bait. The Barn Hill is not a very deep wreck and you can probably set the float depth at around 15-20ft using a stop knot. If you have no luck then adjust the depth at which you are fishing.
Tonys Tackle should be able to kit you out with all you will need.
Good luck

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
How do you know so muce about bass,when you cant catch them!best bet,is come up to portland,we have proper Bass up here!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
The Barn Hill is not a very deep wreck and you can probably set the float depth at around 15-20ft using a stop knot.

cascars is right that people fish it but take care every year some one hits it and at low tide you can see it- and not thro the water

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Just my opinion, take i or leave it!!!...

Just outside of sovereign harbour is the wreck of the Barn Hill. You will usually see several boats there at this
time of year. You will normally find plenty of mackerel there but it is also a good spot for Bass.
Have a rod each set up for the Bass with a Portland or Flying Collar rig (do a search for how to set make these up) and another rod with a set of feathers for the mackerel. On the Bass rod you can either use a reasonable size treble hook or a large single. This needs to be passed through the snout of the mackerel without fastening the top and bottom jaws together.
As soon as you get a couple of mackerel stick them on the other rods and start a drift from uptide of the wreck after letting the mackerel down to just above the highest point of the wreck. Make sure that your clutch is set quite loose and do not let go of the rod. If you get a take from a bass it will hit very hard. Do not strike if you feel a take, bass will usually hit the bait once to stun it and then turn around and take it.
There is a good chance that it will try and take your line into the wreck so use your thumb on the spool to prevent this until you have got it far enough from the safety of the wreck.
Your other option is to get a reasonable size float and float fish the mackerel bait. The Barn Hill is not a very deep wreck and you can probably set the float depth at around 15-20ft using a stop knot. If you have no luck then adjust the depth at which you are fishing.
Tonys Tackle should be able to kit you out with all you will need.
Good luck
Just my opinion, take it or leave it!!!...

resonable size treble...
You don`t need anything bigger than a size 1.

start a drift from uptide of the wreck after letting the mackerel down to just above the highest point of the wreck.....
Pretty well the wrong way to do it IMHO!! forget the fancy portland rigs and just use a simple running ledger rig with about 6-8ft trace.
Uptide from the wreck drop to THE BOTTOM and wind up 5 turns and hold at that height. Bass are quite often on or close to the bottom, starting at wreck height you will be missing a lot and lot of fish.
Watch the plotter and sounder and wind up as the wreck approaches and then drop back down to the bottom as you pass over it.

bass will usually hit the bait once to stun it and then turn around and take it.
Not from what iv`e experianced !!! 95% of the time they seem to steam into it and all you will know is the rod going round and the weight of the fish on the end and the trebles down it`s throat. If they were hitting the fish first with flared gill covers as some report then you would feel it through braid. The truth is you get none of that, you just seem to feel the joey or pout on the end and then the Bass trying to take off.Somtimes you do feel a hit but they don`t hook up or the bait comes off , what that might be I wouldn`t like to say as I wasn`t under the water watching at the time.
Don`t belive all you hear about this Bass feeding game. What someone might see Bass do in an aquarium is no guide to what they do in the wild IMHO.

As I said , Just my opinion ,take it or leave it.

Alan

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
well i had rather hoped that someone would turn up here who knew what they were talking about, in their abscence you will have to put up with me.
up to head ledge -just east of beachy head lighthouse take bass to frozen eels shads live bait mackeral strips etc. dont go there if windy nasty place.

go past the head to the west and troll for bass, - but you might come across andy in nemo

in shore just east of the head fish the shallows and banks for flatties plaice and sole

south of the lighthouse a big hole 100' with a bar at 65 ' cod bass bream on the bar if you get the timing right

3-4 miles out of the harbour horse of willingdon reef, for me fish at high tide springs 40' then bass macky small pollock and probably bream. lots fish it includng the odd charter

just inside that look for the elphick tree, a sea mount apparently"full of marine life" some commercial bass fishers target it but never caught diddly squat myself

look on the chart, east of the horse is a bow tie shaped reef, had cod bass and bream off it plus the rubbish stuff

beyond the tower is rough ground bass cod and bream, gurnard on that plus a series of wrecks that you can almost treat as a single long drift search for the rio pannia and oceania ( i think)

5 to 6 miles south of beachy or beyond the tower many wrecks, last weekend gave good cod catches to a couple of the sovereign boats

beyond that you are into the wrecking scene at 10 to 12 miles plus and i need to get it sorted.

as the autumn comes in everyone will fish 60' depth to the south west of the pier and it can realy surprise you! good conger and cod

have some numbers if you need them and let me know what you fancy doing.

greg

ps does anyone else have eastbourne knowledge to share because andy is getting out more than me at presant- but hopefully i would catch more?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I am taking my boat out fishing for the first time next weekend and would welcome any advice on offer.
I have fished occasionally from the beach and have caught mackerel and Pollock on feathers from the boat (usually when my wife is sun bathing!) near the shore, but have no other fishing experience.
I am planning on spending a day fishing (wife away) with a mate (also very little fishing experience) and would like a successful day.
Not too concerned what we catch (Sea Bass would be nice), but would appreciate some advice regarding gear, bait, methods, locations etc to make the day as successful as possible.
My boat is suitable for fishing most places (category B (offshore)) and is equipped with navigation and fish finding electronics and berthed at Sovereign Harbour (Eastbourne)
A lot to ask I know, but any help or advice would be most welcome.
=====================================================
Just a line to welcome you to the site. :thumbs:

Don't be confused with the difference of opinion with the above posts, both members know what they are talking about. There may well be truth in both posts and so you may have to suss it out yourself. I recently had a trip to Newhaven to seek my first ever Bass. I took advice from this forum and finally succeeded after blanking loads of times. Nothing big caught but a start, and I also had cod on the offshore wrecks which I was advised to fish by Cascars. Best advice I can give you is read some of the old threads and decide who seems to give good advice. Most importantly, don't be afraid to ask advice!

Regards

Harry

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
I forgot to add to my previous post that you dont want to concentrate all your drifts going across the wreck. Quite often the Bass are on the bottom and down the sides and even a fair way off the wreck.
Somtimes they will be on just on one part of the wreck like the bow,stern ect.
Somtimes there will be none there and you have wasted your time !!!

Alan

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
And there was me just going to say ' don't go round the head! You might see Andy in Nemo !!'
Im glad i keep my boat in Portland!

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just logged on to see if anyone had replied and amazed with the number of people willing to help!

Many many thanks
Will let you know how I get on :fishing: :fish:

Hoges

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
have some numbers if you need them and let me know what you fancy doing.

greg
Many thanks for your help Greg....should keep me very busy!
If you have any numbers (co-ordinates?) that would help me to find the places you mentioned, would welcome them.
Hoges

1 - 16 of 16 Posts