World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, i have just ordered a spinning combo and a bass combo from veales, and plan taking my son to Brighton marina next weekend. I haven't been fishing since i was a teenager myself and really only know the basics. So what sort of lures should we be using and on the bass rod should we be using ledger or float, also any advice on baits etc very welcome as well. Also reading one of the books i bought we need to buy a day ticket from the'tackle box'? Any advice on kit we will need and clothing etc, as i said we are total beginners and usually spend our weekends out mountain biking, so please be gentle,
Regards
Nick

·
Registered
51 Posts
hello and welcome aboard :) , ok clothing depends on weather it can be breasy so better to take more clothes that you can take off also the wind , if it is sunny will hide the fact u are being burned to a crisp :mad: so sun cream and shades very important. i have fished the marina b4 get there early it gets really busy. for mackerel buy some mackerl feathers or hokkais attach a weight at the bottom and chuck out , let it hit water wait a few second s and reel in raising and lowering your rod tip calm clear evenings are best for mackerel. im not sure how excperienced u r but remember and use a shock leader. the bass are a bit trickier i have caught a few back up the road in bonnie scotland :rolleyes: but only schoolies down here fingers crossed this year though. i think u can get them close in at the marina i use lug or peeler for bass but guys use whole mackerel heads on a single hook . i think they can be had really close in . best of luck with the new hobby i have been doing it for a few years now in the early years i relied on books untill i met a great bloke who is now one of my best mates he is a very experienced angler who taught me more in a couple o months than i had learned in years in the books , moral is try and go with someone who is experienced. Good luck. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that Bailey, how long should the shock leader be? And what size weight for the mackrel feathers? I am a complete novice by the way,
Cheers Nick

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hi Nick

The leader should be about 3 times the length of the rod as this should give you enough leader to place the end tackle on the beach and also have a good few turns on the reel.

You will find that about 3 or 4 oz weights are enough for feathers although some people like to user heavier or lighter leads... try a weight and see how you feel casting it out with the feathers and then go up or down with you lead. some rods work best at a minimum of 4oz.... it should say on the rod the weights it will cast best with. remember if the make weight is 6oz and you are using a 5oz lead... your bait size and weight can take you over this and some times cause your rod to break......

You can use your bass rod just like a normal rod... float / legering / spinning /lures.

As Baily says books are a very good source of information and can be found cheaply in second hand bookshops car boot sales.. this site it's self has a lot of useful info on it and lots of us anglers are willing to help out too if we can. There are sea angling mags 2 just along from the Mb ones?

If you live close to the coast most tackle shops will have Rag worms... Live in the shop some may have peeler crab. they will also have a range of frozen baits like Squid/calamaria... mackeral.. and sandeels. sometimes they may have frozen black lug too. rag worm are a good bait for just about anything add a mackera and then just about all the bases are covered... you could add squid too..

I hope this helps you a little

Ohh.... and if anyone tells you you need to buy a ticket to fish from the beach...beware!!! At the moment the only places you do need to buy tickets are if you live in a place like Christchurch Dorset, where the harbour is a saline and freshwater and they count it as a river. there may be beaches that are private and these you would need a ticket to fish, some marina and piers also..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi

I used to fish the Marina befor I left to come to NI.

I always used to go down the Short Arm.

There is a good brief write up on the marina in this months Sea Angler magazine (the one with trapping bass in big letters on the front cover) sods law is I cant find my copy.

The guys down there are really really helpfull. They also hire out tackle for the day.

It all depends on mother nature, sunny, take sun block and plenty to drink as it get quite hot out towards the end (I always had most luck feathering from 3/4 of the way out about 1/2 hour after High tide) if its really really rough the wall will be closed off so it would be worth you giveing them a call before. Basically use common sense.

Ive had great luck with everything from peeler crab, shrimp, plain old mackeral on a hook and through to feathers (shinny silver worked best for me)

Im not sure if its still there but there used to be a fishing shop almost next to the cinema (up the stairs next to the petrol station - next to the multi story carpark) selling bait and tackle and all.

Local tackle shops and maps are on the yellow pages site here with the brighton angler easiest to find. (head towards the pier and at the roundabout take directly infront of the pier the 2nd left to head down the seafront road, and its tucked away under the arches) when youve done you shopping just carry on heading away from the pier and either go up the ramp about a mile down down and turn right (follow the signs for the marina) or go all the way to the end to be directly next to the small arm.

If im teaching my granny to suck eggs ..sorry

·
Registered
51 Posts
good luck for this weekend nick hope u and the boy have fun sorry not replied earlier off to italy on sunday biking and climbing so lots to sort out, great to see people helping each other out , be sure to let everyone know how you got on , have a good one :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice one Bailey, Italy Biking? Jealous or what, i get to the Sierra Nevada a lot as my parents run a business there(property management), what u ride?. I will post up my scores on the doors tommorow, weather looks good for it, here's hoping for a good 'un for all,
Cheers all for the advice
Nick

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Been on the Marina once but will go again (daughter and grand children live there - Brighton that is!!) GO TO THE TACKLE BOX! Just a demountable shack but a really good and helpful place. They put me on the right spot re: fish and weather - and it worked! Good selection of tackle also. Bait was also good but wonder about amounts when busy - plenty of frozen stuff. Good drop from fishing platforms - wall to lean rod and prevent youngsters falling in, EXCEPT at the junctions between each 'platform' - about 15 yds. Junctions simply have two strands of wire - beware!

As regards payment, the money is collected by an official who came around with the inevitable roll of tickets - Fishing Permit £1.50 Must be a Company which runs/owns the Marina. The Tackle Box is at the Western end of the Marina (near Asda) and you have to walk East right along, overlooking the boats, until you get to the start of the long arm. Each bay/platform is numbered so the advice to fish from no. so-and-so to whatever then makes sense! I went in January (whiting every cast all day!) but there were people fishing there (crowd of Polish lads down from Reading for the day who kept me plyed with Vodka because I gave them all my fish! - can't guarantee they'll be there still though!) Enjoyable BUT different! Make your lad aware of potential danger and enjoy it!

·
Registered
51 Posts
i ride a Marin Riftzone, have just oiled her up , good to go, if the fishing is bad you could always go to the sea life centre and have a look for your quarry, i went last year Quite interesting im sure the boy would like it , sierra nevada eh i bet thats pretty good ,long flight , still bet its not as long as the DRIVE to italy 20 hours its going to be emotional!! :eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi all, excellent afternoon at the harbour, my son caught two lovely pollock! So it's safe to say 'he's hooked'!! Seemed to be very quiet for everyone though, and all were saying it was so. we're thinking of Littlehampton next as the wife's uncle&Aunt own a cafe on the front there, any tips??
Bailey, i was taken in by the hype last year and got a VT2, by the way sierra nevada is the large mountain range in Spain, ski'ing in winter/biking in summer place, so the flight is not that long! By the way is your handle on here a ref to
'R eng's'?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts