World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using a fixed spool reel since in started fishing and only ever used a multiplier on a boat. But I want to make the move to a multiplier from the shore. I understand using a multiplier without a level wind is best, so what's out there that's fairly cheap without a level wind but also reliable?? Don't really want to go over £100

Thanks inadvance

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
penn 525 mag 2 look no further
Right that's that bought ? however my next newbie question guys would be, do i have to get a new rod now as all 3 of mine house fixed spool reels, is it different if I want to use a multiplier?
If so what would be a good rod to go for also heard 16ft rods the way to go...
Cant really help you there, I fish a couple of Conoflex's, one of them, the Nemesis, was rung for fixed spool when I bought it and it was in godawful colours so I just rebuilt the thing and ringed it for multi's, it looks the dogs dangly bits now and punches out as far as I'll ever need.

·
Registered
11,610 Posts
What I tend to do with casting multi's is if I'm using a lure or weight I lift the rod with the lure close to the tip with a fare amount of pressure on the spool tension knob and the clutch in the release position.

By gradually backing off the tension the lure or sinker will slowly start to fall, it's at this point I normally leave the tension knob. For someone starting off it may be better to slightly tighten back so the object stops falling.

No doubt there will be many who disagree but this works for me whether I'm flicking light hard body lures for barramundi to 6oz leads with whole mullet as bait. It's a starting point, fine tuning come later.

As for the rod question, you will have more luck using a multi on a spin rod than a spin reels on a multi rod. They aren't built for it but you could get away with it untill you feel the need for a rod to match.

JonD

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How do you feel about having one of your beach rods rebuilt with multi guides.
Never thought about to be honest and it all comes down to price.. I'm almost prepared to pay £160 for a tf gear 16ft rod so if it'll be cheaper to change rings by someone who knows what they are doing I could seriously think about going down that road

·
Banned
781 Posts
What I tend to do with casting multi's is if I'm using a lure or weight I lift the rod with the lure close to the tip with a fare amount of pressure on the spool tension knob and the clutch in the release position.

By gradually backing off the tension the lure or sinker will slowly start to fall, it's at this point I normally leave the tension knob. For someone starting off it may be better to slightly tighten back so the object stops falling.

No doubt there will be many who disagree but this works for me whether I'm flicking light hard body lures for barramundi to 6oz leads with whole mullet as bait. It's a starting point, fine tuning come later.

As for the rod question, you will have more luck using a multi on a spin rod than a spin reels on a multi rod. They aren't built for it but you could get away with it untill you feel the need for a rod to match.

JonD
sorry to dissagree but there isnt really such a thing as a spool tension knob, its for setting the spindle free play and shouldnt really be used to slow a real down, you will put un nessasary stress on the reel, it shoud be set so there is a very small amount of free play.to slow a reel down you should use brake blocks or a magnetic breaking system. im sure someone will dissagree with this as well

·
Registered
11,610 Posts
sorry to dissagree but there isnt really such a thing as a spool tension knob, its for setting the spindle free play and shouldnt really be used to slow a real down, you will put un nessasary stress on the reel, it shoud be set so there is a very small amount of free play.to slow a reel down you should use brake blocks or a magnetic breaking system. im sure someone will dissagree with this as well

No worries you call it something different!!

Just punch into google how to set drag using the tension knob and you will find heaps of info and videos doing the wrong way like me too.

I said there would be people on here who disagree, I was right and it only took a few mins, all good

·
Registered
277 Posts
Most long (continental style) rods are built for fixed spool, which would probably include the 16' rod you're looking at.
Give the Leeda Icon range a look in 13 or 14', depending on the venue/ground you fish.
FS and multi rods are build differently (ring position, spine orientation and sometimes reel position etc). There are some crossovers between the 2 but if you want a rod to make the most of your new reel, I would recommend a rod specifically built for a multi.
Other opinions are available!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts