World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I'm going to Belize in April and being the keen angler I am, it isn't a place to travel to without cramming your suitcase full of fishing gear!!! We haven't booked our accommodation yet, but are hoping to travel around the country as we are there for 16days. The areas we are aiming to area Belize City, Monkey River Town, Placencia and Caye Caulker.
Has anyone been to belize before in April and what tackle did you use? The kit I'll be taking is a medium weight lure rod/ spinning reel loaded with 30lb braid and a #8-9 weight fly rod with/ saltwater fly with 8# tropical floating line & 8# intermediate line. I haven't bought my end tackle as looking for advice on what to use in this fishing mecca.
Any help wound be appreciated.

John

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Hey Everyone,

I'm going to Belize in April and being the keen angler I am, it isn't a place to travel to without cramming your suitcase full of fishing gear!!! We haven't booked our accommodation yet, but are hoping to travel around the country as we are there for 16days. The areas we are aiming to area Belize City, Monkey River Town, Placencia and Caye Caulker.
Has anyone been to belize before in April and what tackle did you use? The kit I'll be taking is a medium weight lure rod/ spinning reel loaded with 30lb braid and a #8-9 weight fly rod with/ saltwater fly with 8# tropical floating line & 8# intermediate line. I haven't bought my end tackle as looking for advice on what to use in this fishing mecca.
Any help wound be appreciated.

John
John Hi

I stayed in Stepping Stones run by Sue and Chris Harris with my wife, about 5 years ago in June. I think they have since stopped trading.

SS is set right on the seafront between Placencia and Monkey river and reachable only by boat. We had a brillant holiday and caught plenty mostly fishing in a 21 ft boat skippered by a guy called Ian who was based in Placencia we also had fun kayaking and had plenty of small stuff barracudas, bar jacks, snook, small snapper etc. mostly on light spinning gear and on tobies.

We fished with Ian in the entrance to Monkey river one morning and I had two 20lb tarpon on a 9 wt rod and on cockroach flies

We had dozens of small bone fish, 1-2lbs on the fly they took just about anything to be honest, and several on one of the offshore cays to 5lbs on small sardines using spinning rods.

Trolling Xrap rapalas produced bigger barracuda, loads to around 15lbs, sierra mackerel, jack crevalle to 15lbs, a grouper of about 10lbs and Tracey had the biggest fish of the holiday a 35lb kingfish, my word did that run!!!

Ian used cuda candy, a wire trace with three 4/0 O'shaughnessy type hooks in a row,the hooks were passed through the eye of one such that the eye settled on the bend of the previous hook the whole ensemble was then skirted in a garish pink nylon skirt and baited with a filllet of sierra. Look up sea witch on ebay and you will see them.

I think we paid about $350 a day for the boat and when we were there it rained most late afternoons early evening so the water was very coloured inshore and so the fishing was described as 'slow'. I had one near miss from a permit which approached my flybut i was too eager and pulled the fly way from it.

Hope this helps

Mike

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
:) Was there 1981, only fished off the back of a type 42 destroyer anchored about 1 mile offshore. One night I hooked about 10 tarpon up to an estimated 200lb, couldn't get them in the drop net and didn't want to gaff them but did net one small one about 80lb. Next night no tarpon but barracuda, grouper and small sharks. Seems there is plenty of fish so good luck. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank's for the advice. I'm hoping to book where we're planning to go in Belize in the next's week so hopefully the places will have good areas for fishing and affordable fishing trips.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Places we will be traveling to are Dangriga, Tobacco Caye, Monkey river, Caye Caulker and San Pedro. Planning to do as much fishing as I'm allowed mostly from the shore and kayaks hopefully will book a fishing trip over there. Anyone any info on the Area?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Caye caulker was a great place very laid back but its 20 years since I was there u could rent boats with locals fairly cheap.pangas some monster barracuda around there and tarpon in the estuary mangrove areas of the mainland also on north cc a place north of the split as it was called where hurricane divided the island in 2 in San Pedro there was a sport fishing operation even then American guys can't remember details also a good bar with an underwater coral with sharks turtles and rays in ....I'm sure u find locals with pangas no problem all u need for inshore fishing

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for the info. will hopefully get out on a boat a couple of times but will book some over there, sound get it a bit cheaper hopefully.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Wife & I went to Belize in 2011 (October) - for the fishing part of the trip we stayed at Stepping Stones (between Monkey river and Placencia) - we had 3 days booked for fishing but only got 2 due to some **** up with arrangements at SS - however the person operating the boat was from Placencia and, I think, worked for Roberts Hotel there.

Anyway in 24ft open boat with O/B we got taken out to the reef and the chain of islands around 15-20 miles offshore. Along the reef the general system was to troll, but after the umteenth Barracuda I asked if we could try a bit of bottom fishing - had some nice grouper and got broken by something quite big.

We were taken to several islands where we tried our hand at Bonefish fishing - wading in the lagoons - as salmon / trout fishers the casting presented little problem and the bonefish were eager takers - good fun fight. Back onto the boat, the permit proved a little more challenging but we managed to get a couple of hook ups and land one.

We did have a bit of cruise thro the mangroves one day, and there were tarpon there, but as were being bitten to death by insects, I told the skipper to get us out of there fast.

The other thing at that you will notice in the mangroves is the astonishing amount of plastic crap everywhere - really makes you wonder for the future of the planet when you see the detritus of modern life washed up on the shore.

If I was going back, I would be looking at booking a boat from Placencia - I cannot speak for the resorts further north, but I think these are generally more busy and, for us, that has little appeal.

Enjoy your trip

·
Registered
516 Posts
Monkey River is not an easy place to get to but I guess you have that side of the trip sorted.

Without doubt contact Ian Cuevas who used to guide for Sue and Chris Harris's Stepping Stones resort.

I did a Google search on Ian and came up with this

My name is Ian Cuevas and fishing is what I live and breath and has been the only profession I have been involved in since I was a boy.
I began as a commercial fisherman which I pursued for 11 years and then my uncle introduced me to sport fishing and I was immediately hooked.
I began shadowing my uncle while he guided clients throughout Belize.
I started guiding and ventured out on my own and have enjoyed guiding and teaching clients the wonders of fishing in Belize ever since.
Over the last 14 years I have continued to learn the nuances of Salt water fishing for both the fly fisherman as well as the traditional gear fisherman giving each the best opportunity possible.
I absolutely love guiding and look forward to sharing my knowledge to existing and future clients.
If you are interested in a trip give me a call at 660-0735 or shoot me an email at [email protected]

One of most patient and laid back guides I have fished with and on most days we started at 06:30 and were back at the dock after dark.
He certainly put in the work to make our days with him memorable.
Fish Fishing Fish Pike Striper bass
We fished the Monkey river, Pelican Caye, Sapodilla and Nicolas Cayes, Port Honduras and Deep river and as I recall we had (in no particular order) horse eye and crevalle jacks, bonefish, permit, cuda, tarpon, snook and king macks

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Monkey River is not an easy place to get to but I guess you have that side of the trip sorted.

Without doubt contact Ian Cuevas who used to guide for Sue and Chris Harris's Stepping Stones resort.

I did a Google search on Ian and came up with this

My name is Ian Cuevas and fishing is what I live and breath and has been the only profession I have been involved in since I was a boy.
I began as a commercial fisherman which I pursued for 11 years and then my uncle introduced me to sport fishing and I was immediately hooked.
I began shadowing my uncle while he guided clients throughout Belize.
I started guiding and ventured out on my own and have enjoyed guiding and teaching clients the wonders of fishing in Belize ever since.
Over the last 14 years I have continued to learn the nuances of Salt water fishing for both the fly fisherman as well as the traditional gear fisherman giving each the best opportunity possible.
I absolutely love guiding and look forward to sharing my knowledge to existing and future clients.
If you are interested in a trip give me a call at 660-0735 or shoot me an email at [email protected]

One of most patient and laid back guides I have fished with and on most days we started at 06:30 and were back at the dock after dark.
He certainly put in the work to make our days with him memorable.
View attachment 335378
We fished the Monkey river, Pelican Caye, Sapodilla and Nicolas Cayes, Port Honduras and Deep river and as I recall we had (in no particular order) horse eye and crevalle jacks, bonefish, permit, cuda, tarpon, snook and king macks
I'll second that, this is the Ian I referred to in my first reply in this thread

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll be doing mostly diy fishing for most of the trip. Everywhere we are traveling to is near the water so I'll try and wet a line is much as I can. we will be staying on Caye Caulker for 4 days so will hopefully get a boat trip while I'm there. So far I'll be taking a 8/9# outfit with floating and intermediate line, a medium spin rod and 4000 size reel loaded with 30kg braid. Got a lot of end gear suck as top water and below the surface lures. I'm thinking of investing in a 20/30lb travel boat rod and a 7000 size reel as will hopefully be kayak fishing a lot plus it can back me and be used as a heavier spin and bait rod, what's your thoughts?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The fishing in Belize was ace. Fishing almost every day I was there

Day 1&2 Bermunda Landing. Was staying in a log cabin in the bush about 30mins from the Airport which had it's on 1 acre size pond and about 10min walk from the Belize river. Fishing in the pond was relatively easy just free line any sort of meat on a small hook within a 30secs of the bait being in the river you were caching numerous types of freshwater fish I couldn't id most of them but the Catfish in the pond where the top dog in there. Not practically strong but a good wee scrapper on a light rod.
Day 3&6 Dangriga. Will waiting on the boat to head out to tobacco key, decided to buy some shrimp from the local supermarket and have a small session in the river in the middle of the town resulting in catching loads of small jacks in the 1/2- 1lb range. Using the same tactic on the 6th day caught a small snapper about 1 1/2lb pound which I gave to a local kid for his dinner.
Day 4&5 Tobacco Caye. The place was a snorkelers withing 1ometers of the shore you were swimming with reef fish, stringrays and eagle rays. Was able to sight fish directly from my cabana for barracuda nothing of decent size but still a good fighter when in 2-3ft of water. Caught them all on small top water lures. caught numerous snapper off the pier using cut up sparts as bait. Hook a live snapper up to my larger fishing outfit on the chance of hooking a shark off the pier but nothing was biting (someone caught a 6foot nurse shark the night before). Day 5 we had a food frenzy about 80 meters of the shore the bonito's were hammering the sardines so tied on a large popper in the hope of catching my dinner but the frigate birds were having none of it, Soon as the popper moved they were dive bombing it.
Day 7&8 Monkey river town. Booked a river tour/ fishing trip. Managed 3 fish on the trip 1 tarpon about 8lb, 2 snook about 4lb and a bigger one about 12lb all the fish were caught on a 3inch wildeye swim shad. Got a big hit of a tarpon on the fly but it no hook up. It's not everyday you can fish beside monkeys in the trees and small crocodiles in the water. the water was to rough to fish beside my cabin but decent sized jacks have been caught there in the past.
Day 9&10 Placencia. We called the place mini America with the about of U.S ex pats living in the area. fishing off the pier we caught numerous small snapper and jacks but the biggest shock came when fishing at the sailfish hotel. We were fishing at dusk at the hotels dock using small size 1 circle hooks with cut up sprats. My Gf was using my spinning rod and I was using my 20/30lb travel boat , Thank god cause I needed it! Just free lining about 7ft from myself I got the faintest tap tap on the rod tip then the rod went crazy withing 30secs the reel 7000 spin reel got about 150meters of the 50lb braid stripped off it. After about a 15min fight I caught a string ray about 20-25lb. Very good scrappers. It would of quite easily snapped the spinning rod if it got hooked on that.
Day 11 Belmopan. No fishing :(
Day 12&13 Caye Caulker. Crystal clear water surrounds the Island perfect for sight fishing on the eastern side of the island plenty of piers to fish off. Got a bonefish on my 1st cast using a small pink bucktail. caugt a barracuda about 3lb on a sink and drawn sardine dead bait. Hooked up to a moray eel but I was a bit under gunned using the spinning rod which resulted in a bite through leader. If in Caye Caulker go to the Tarpon feeding area, you can hand feed huge fish in the 100lb range!
Day 14&15 San Pedro. Fished the Lagoon behind the town as was told it was good for Bonefish So bought some shrimp from a shop and headed there for sunset. They were tarpon rolling on the surface so sacked the shrimp and put on a 6inch hogy lure. a free lined lure on the spinning rod and a 6inch hogy a 2oz jig head on the boat rod the Gf got a huge hit of a tarpon about 8ft from the pier I estimated the fish in the 30-40lb range. when It was to dark to spin fish we put the lures away and freeline shrimp on size 1 circle hooks which resulted in me catching a small snapper a 3-4lb bonefish and got a run off of a huge tarpon easily 40lb plus but it the hook was far to small hook the fish!. On day 15 will casting a hog lure on the spin rod I hooked up to a tarpon right next to the pier which sent the fish under the pier and on a 50meter run into the deeper water I Managed to put spinning rod underneath the pier to hand in to the gf as the line got tangled on the pier but was able to get into the fight with the tarpon but had it straightened the hook and was Off! How need to pay hundreds of £ for a chartered trip when you can catch bonefish and potentially large tarpon off the pier.

Belize Is a Brilliant place to fish on bait, lure and the fly. I would recommend booking a fishing trip a guide to get the chance of hooking a monster fish but the diy fishing potential is through the roof all around the coast of belize. It won't be my last trip there!

·
Registered
40 Posts
thanks for your report enjoyed it so much planning trip myself but worried about safety as read on tripadvisor about tourists being robbed and others getting shot sounded proper dangerous wondered what your view/experience was .rog

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Everywhere we went we felt safe. People do get robbed just like how people get robbed in most places in Britain. The Locals are friendly and will go out their way to help you just be wary of where your traveling in Belize. On the Cayes are safe to walk around at any time of the day, Some areas of the Belize City can be a bit rough so you just don't go to them.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Everywhere we went we felt safe. People do get robbed just like how people get robbed in most places in Britain. The Locals are friendly and will go out their way to help you just be wary of where your traveling in Belize. On the Cayes are safe to walk around at any time of the day, Some areas of the Belize City can be a bit rough so you just don't go to them.
:) Certainly some very "rough areas" in BC and lots of mosquetoes everywhere. ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There areas like that in most cities here to though, If your there on a fishing holiday you'll barely spend any time in Belize City. For the Mossy just make sure you have adequate protection. Long sleeve top and trousers if your fishing inland or after dark and make sure you have a good deet spray.

·
Super Moderator
10,900 Posts
There areas like that in most cities here to though, If your there on a fishing holiday you'll barely spend any time in Belize City. For the Mossy just make sure you have adequate protection. Long sleeve top and trousers if your fishing inland or after dark and make sure you have a good deet spray.
Those mozzies are devious little buggers. Even when I'm covered from head to toe they still bite me through my clothes

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Most of the piers in San Pedro you can fish from. But if your fishing off the sea facing piers your better waiting till later in the day due to boat traffic. I fished in the lagoon at the other side of San Pedro, you can catch tarpon and bonefish there at any time of the day.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts