World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am off to Belize (Placencia) for two weeks at the start of June and I have been browsing this forum since i booked my trip as i have pretty much no experience of this kind of fishing and i have learnt a lot. Based on lots of research i have selected the following as gear.

Flats fishing (Permit, Bonefish, Tarpon)
FOX Permit Trek Spin
Shimano Stradic ST5000FJ
Tuf-Line XP 7kg/15lb 548 metres
Seaguar Saltwater IGFA Leaders 20lb

Reef/heavy spin
FOX Permit Trek Spin
Daiwa Saltist 4000H
Tuf-Line XP 35lb 548 metres
Seaguar Ace Hard Fluorocarbon Tippet 44lb

I was originally going to get a heavier rod as well as the permit one but from reading reviews i think this one will cope with what i am likely to come across

I have gone for two reels as neither come with a spare spool (do any of the £150+ spinning reels come with one?) and i wanted the higher capacity of the saltist for the reef fishing

Does the line strength look correct -particularly the leader in relation to mainline? How long should the leader be?

When attaching a lure to the leader is it better to tie direct or use a swivel or split ring?

Any advice on lures? Type and how many?

Any advice on the above or anything else will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Hi BenC44,
Sadly I don't have enough experience in those techniques or location your going to give advise, but I too am buying tackle for new destinations and techniques.

I have to say the guys here at WSF have been great with advise, and there is so many experienced guys here who fish all over the world, and they can and will help if possible.

Be patient though as sometimes it can be slow, but the answers to questions will come.

I am also buying a Fox travel rod (Tarpon model) for medium spinning option. They have a great range of light/medium travel rods.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Hi all,

I am off to Belize (Placencia) for two weeks at the start of June and I have been browsing this forum since i booked my trip as i have pretty much no experience of this kind of fishing and i have learnt a lot. Based on lots of research i have selected the following as gear.

Flats fishing (Permit, Bonefish, Tarpon)
FOX Permit Trek Spin
Shimano Stradic ST5000FJ
Tuf-Line XP 7kg/15lb 548 metres
Seaguar Saltwater IGFA Leaders 20lb

Reef/heavy spin
FOX Permit Trek Spin
Daiwa Saltist 4000H
Tuf-Line XP 35lb 548 metres
Seaguar Ace Hard Fluorocarbon Tippet 44lb

I was originally going to get a heavier rod as well as the permit one but from reading reviews i think this one will cope with what i am likely to come across

I have gone for two reels as neither come with a spare spool (do any of the £150+ spinning reels come with one?) and i wanted the higher capacity of the saltist for the reef fishing

Does the line strength look correct -particularly the leader in relation to mainline? How long should the leader be?

When attaching a lure to the leader is it better to tie direct or use a swivel or split ring?

Any advice on lures? Type and how many?

Any advice on the above or anything else will be greatly appreciated.
:sun: I fished Belieze in the 80's and only had a 20lb class rod and an ABU 9000C with me but it handled every thing. The main thing is to have enough line to play the fish and I had 450 yards of 18lb nylon, so you should be OK.
Good luck. :fishing:

·
Registered
144 Posts
have a look at the okuma v system ive seen them advertized with 2 spools,okuma also has a nice line of travel rods.If your planning on some bonefish a medium action 7' spinning rod and a 3000 class reel is perfect.I use 20# power pro with a 10# flourocarbon leader.Belize is 1 of the places on my list to fish enjoy ur trip.

Rob

·
Registered
373 Posts
You could very well see the adult 200 class battle cruiser Tarpon migrating in and other big fish come June. I would bring one outfit with real BALLS and ability. Some night fishing could be terrifically mind warping and free!! Ask the locals about large tarpon at night! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. Any thoughts on this in particular?

·
Registered
144 Posts
honestly I think its tough to target a multitude of species with only 2 outfits,but if you have to then I would say take a selection of leader material to match the species your after.For instance you might want to lighten up for bonefish say 8 or 10# floro or go heavier for tarpon maybe 50 or 80#.Also you might want to upgrade ur braid on ur reef outfit and I would use the 50 or 80# leader as well or tie the braid directly to wire if trolling as ur most likely to catch a few barracuda.When fishing lures such as rapalas I usually connect with a good quality snap.I hope this helps a bit maybe someone else can add to this or has a different train of thought.

cheers Rob

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Ben

I fished Placencia with my wife about 4 years ago, we stayed at Steppingstones run by Sue and Chris Harris; who sadly I beleive have 'retired' and are trying to sell their cabanas.

We were based near Monkey river which is about 30 minutes south of Placencia itself, a slow boat ride through the lagoons and mangroves.

We did a fair amount of kayaking in and around the estuary and had loads of smallish stuff, snappers to about 3lb, barjacks to 3lb barracuda to 5lb and a couple of snook to about 4lbs. These were all taken on Toby type spinners assorted sizes from about 20g up to 35gram and assorted colours your lighter set up would do for this!

We also had about 4 days fishing with a guy based in Placencia, Ian, he charged about $300 for a day. We caught literally dozens of bonefish, mostly small boys around 1 1/2lbs on fly gear but they will take tiny jelly worms or jig heads and on one Cay we had several much better Bones all on small deadbaits best about 5lbs. There are dozens of barracuda and we had mostly 15-20lbers all taken on trolled rapalas or what they call cuda candy, a nylon hair multi hook rig baited with mackerel. Wire traces essential for these 30lb is OK and we also had several 3-4lb sierra mackerel and Tracey had a 35lb Kingfish which was awesome.

We saw several Permit but didn't catch one, one did follow my fly but at the point where i should have accelerated the retreive to try and get a take the line caught round the reel handle and it veered off - I was too excited and buggered it up!!

So you need some Tobies and rapalas or similar, I like the XRap Magnums in assorted colours XRap 15 and 20 's are about the right size. Check out ebay somtimes Mark Harding of Alderny Angling has them on offer at around £12 each ditto a Polish site.

Enjoy your trip, you will love the final leg of the flight out there in the 12 seater that drops you into Placencia!!

Cheers

Mike

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Missed a bit, I also had 2 Tarpon on the fly from a school of a load we saw one day, one about 20lb the other 25lbs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts