World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Benllech revisited

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  gotthegearbutnoidea 
#1 ·
After last weeks success at Benllech we couldn’t wait to give it another go, so last night we headed there again. We arrived at around 8 O’clock to find a 3 4x4’s parked at the gap in the hedge so we knew it wouldn’t be quiet, but as we approached the ledges we could see the mark was festooned with feather flickers :thumbdown. The tide was dropping so we managed to find a spot on the lower ledges to the right that had only just dried out and we set up base camp.

First baits out were for the ray again and while I fished my second rod the same way, Steve opted to try and catch some fresh mackerel for bait. The mackerel were few and far between with only the odd one showing across the whole mark but Steve persevered and was finally rewarded with 2 on the one cast, a few casts later he hit the jackpot and hooked a full string, unfortunately this only served to attract the attention of the flickers :doh:, despite the fact that we could clearly see the shoal moving from right to left towards them, the flickers gradually started edging right towards us and though we couldn’t have been more than 10ft apart, one bright spark even clambered down between us and proceeded to fish on a lower ledge directly underneath Steve’s rod tip :nonono:.

In the past the guy and his gear would have ended up in the sea but Steve showed remarkable restraint (he must be calming down in his old age :laugh:) and biting his lip he calmly packed his gear and moved, but just as he got set up again s**t for brains also packed up his gear and went off to join his mates :giveup:. At least it would soon be dark and we could get on with our fishing without any further interruptions :fishing:.

Once we had enough fresh bait and as darkness fell, Steve switched to baited feathers while I continued with the big baits big fish tactics, straight away he was into multiple hits of whiting while I struggled :sad:, eventually though he got fed up with the whiting when he reached 15 and he also switched to big baits. The evening turned out to be a lot quieter than last week and we only managed a few more whiting and dogs between us with no sign of any ray, it was still a good session though and we’re not giving up on the mark just yet, we’ll definitely be back soon :thumbs:.

See less See more
#4 ·
Good report mate,i hate fishing marks with numptys,holiday makers with a rod and a 6oz lead flying around is not bringing back happy memories,Cornwaal (85,86,96,97,) close to filling my pants a few times,

Good to see you persisted a lesser man wouldnt ( me ) well done .
SM,Bit unfair to label us holidaymakers with numptys,im holidaying in north wales for the first time in august ,have done my homework with bait venues etc,having reasonable results on the match and club circuits and a 45lb fish from the shore this year,not all holidaymakers will be launching feathers at mackerel,its more likely to bread at mullet,crab at bass and rag/razor/squid at black bream and possibly fish baits at the huss,conger and rays.and as for the numptys i will avoid them like the plague as well :happy:

#5 ·
well i apologise i should of made myself clear,your an experienced fisherman,i was complaining about the newbies with 12 foot rods and 6 oz weights that dont do there homework and hammer the maccy,i have witnessed some sorry scenes in cornwall on numerous occaisons where holiday makers have taken in excess of 50 maccy in black bin bags.Why take more than you can possibly need,but again my apologies,enjoy your holiday and hope the weather is kind to you

#7 ·
Nice report !

Those rocks to the right are very slippy.
Try the small cove just to the left of the path as you walk down, for conger, pollack and wrasse.

Coastman
Forgot to mention to keep a carefull eye on runaway cars approaching from behind.
Fishing might be quite at present, and snaggy, unless your after spare car parts.

Coastman

#8 ·
Forgot to mention to keep a carefull eye on runaway cars approaching from behind.
Fishing might be quite at present, and snaggy, unless your after spare car parts.

Coastman
haha i was there 4 that little blunder how no1 was killed i dont kno !normally duck at the stray leads but cars now thats takin the p.ss!pitty it didnt take out a few ov them maccy bashers out who leave there sh*t everywere!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.