World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
4,878 Posts
Using 10lb for spinning and floatfishing. Finding it great and a huge improvement on the limp blue dynema type I used to use. (now using this in the garden to frighten sparrows!) More direct when spinning and plugging and very thin for light floats. No real problem yet but time may well tell.

The really good stuff is the XDS! I use 35lb to fish really rough ground. Instant contact and wears a lot less than mono in my experience. Mind you I always replace the end foot or so every time I fish. Abrasion, when it happens, is instantly obvious as the dark green is replaced by a light worn surface and you notice it as you wind in, particularly if you've just had a tug-of-war! Has all the obvious advantage of all braids in its lack of stretch and thin diameter. I have pathetic casting technique with multiplier but have found the 35lb easier to cast than 15lb mono! Could it be the increased friction of the 'sticky' braid slows things down for me?? Can't see me going back to mono.

Lighter breaking strains, down to 10lb in the XDS are almost in the shops so I've been told! I'm paying £20 for 300yds.

· Registered
4,878 Posts
Just bought the 17lb XDS which I intend to use for 'light' ledgering and freelining on my method feeder rod. This breaking strain is so thin for a 'smooth' braid that I think it might become my basic line as it will have some strength to pull out of snags.
Going to use the heavier 'old' soft style braid as flyline backing!

However my small fxd. spool and baitcaster have the 7lb Fireline and I've bought it now!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.