World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
I think the "Gulp" refers to the number of idiots that fall for the advertising.

If you want to try some. PM me and I will send it to you. Doh!

·
Registered
168 Posts
The natural baby shrimp berkley Gulp OUTFISHED fresh shrimp when i was reef rishing in cuba and free lined these off the back of the pedalos - caught snapper, grouper and wrasse!

Lugworm gulpbait has caught me flounder

JUDGE FOR YOURSELF!

Will

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
As i was going to say Cascars the only time i have caught coalie and pollack on it was when using it like a jellyworm. I used the ragworm gulp for spinning, however it was no more effective than jellies of a redgill whilst being a lot more expensive.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Gulp(and fishbites) has been all the rage over here stateside in the saltwater scene and number one bait for inshore species. Like everybody says, it must be fished like a lure to be effective. I havent personally used the saltwater gulp but I have used the freshwater gulps such as corn, worms, and maggots. Corn works ok with hatchery trout but not with wild, native trout. Largemouth bass cant get enough of the Gulp Wacky worm:yeah: and the catfish seem to love it just as much. The maggots suck though.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Its quite good at keeping the hook point exposed if you tip with it.

G

·
As the more experienced anglers have pointed out, if used correctly it catches fish.
Some versions fish better than others, but regardless of what style you buy you must use it in the way it was designed (as a lure) or you will end up as disillusioned as the other people who claim it to be useless.

Tom

·
Registered
408 Posts
Absolute rubbish, dont waste your money, you cant beat proper fresh bait
Actually you can.
I've outfished fresh, natural bait, several times on the boat using gulp.
Both baits fished in a similar manner, the gulp hammered the natural stuff. This was drift fishing for cod, over reefs in about 15 - 30m. The gulp also took ling, pollack, wrasse, mackerel and, whilst anchored over sandy ground,dabs, (in this case fresh bait outfished the gulp).

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I think that a lot of the miss understanding is that it's a lure not a static bait. There are much cheaper things about for that though.

John

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
Berkely Gulp baits are lures, not hook baits. Used as hookbaits they are as useless as a plug fished on the bottom. Used as a lure they catch fish. I think people in the UK have bought them thinking they were hookbaits, and wasted their money.

·
Registered
11,508 Posts
Berkely Gulp baits are lures, not hook baits. Used as hookbaits they are as useless as a plug fished on the bottom. Used as a lure they catch fish. I think people in the UK have bought them thinking they were hookbaits, and wasted their money.
spot on................... i noticed this some time ago in other threads about it.

but who am i to P on someones fire as lots claim to have caught on it while fishing static baits. most though will admit it was with other baits on the same hook..dohh.

i fished next to a guy who put a small gulp crab on the end of a big rag bait and swore they were taking the crab:blink:

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Have to agree that it is a very expensive lure for pollack, bass and coalies. Only caught on it using it jellyworm style as i have said before, and it is not worth the price whe a 10p jelly will have the same effect.

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
Have to agree that it is a very expensive lure for pollack, bass and coalies. Only caught on it using it jellyworm style as i have said before, and it is not worth the price whe a 10p jelly will have the same effect.
That would only be true in clear water where fish are hunting purely by sight. Gulp baits are impregnated with salt and other attractants which help a fish home in - cheap jellies stink of plastic so they would not fish so well...in theory.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts