World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know where i can get bulk spools of 50lb big game from, looking to fill a tld 20 for some porgie trips off the north devon coast and want abit more line on my reel than 200m's....:wallbash:

·
Registered
12,989 Posts
Filled a couple of 50 wides back end last year with Berkley BG, had to go stateside for the bulk spools, can`t remember where I got it, fleabay USA, 1000yd spools

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah seems hard to find though i can get plenty of berkley xts up to 45lb, so wondering about this line instead.....

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Hi ,

if you can't find any Berkley big game , have a look at this one : OKUMA PLATINUM 1KG MONO LINE CLEAR ... never used the bigger diameters but i tried the 0,35mm a couple of years ago as it was all i could find in the local shop during holidays in France , and was surprised how good it was ... and cheap !

Gert

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
As an alternative I would suggest Momoi Hi-Catch Nylon Mono Line

This line breaks at considerably more than it's stated BS.

Knots nicely and just feels good to work with. I had some left of my bulk spool that I bought for porbeagle and common skate and it still making shore traces and leaders more than a decade on. It has been stored in a dark place and stills feels like new!

If the line diameter is important I would go for 40lb BS Momoi Hi-Catch as it still breaks over 50 with a decent knot.

Try this company for your big fish gear Momoi Hi-Catch Nylon Mono Line

·
Registered
344 Posts
Your not alone, iv found it very difficult sourcing 50lb Berkley Big Game mono in bulk in the UK. I'll be trying Momoi when the reels need re-spooling.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Snap. Also once tried and tried and failed, could not find a UK supplier in Bulk.

Guess there is no call for it, in general, in UK in Bulk. Is very good as shock leader though:thumbs:

·
Registered
12,989 Posts
Couple of my heavier reels (80`s) are spooled with Momoi and a couple of lightweight ones as well. It`s also getting hard to get as Rokmax don`t seem to be doing it so again it`s stateside or NZ.

Impressed with the Berkley BG, good knot strength and like the Momoi breaks good bit above stated strength. Used 15bs Berkley BG Trilene in FV a couple of months back and fouled up on the rocks, no matter what I tried could not break it, the hook bent first.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
yeah seems hard to find though i can get plenty of berkley xts up to 45lb, so wondering about this line instead.....
XTS is also a good tough as old boots line Ive been using it a while now & i love it never used it above 18lb yet but i would imagine the higher breaking strains are just as good

1 - 9 of 9 Posts