World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for tips on best baits and cocktails for rays and the best presentation techniques, going for rays ogmore next week.
Please !!! Thankyou

i have always used two sandeel wrapped in squid with head and tails cut off!!

Registered
Looking for tips on best baits and cocktails for rays and the best presentation techniques, going for rays ogmore next week.
Please !!! Thankyou

i have always used two sandeel wrapped in squid with head and tails cut off!!
Another tip is when you can don't use a gripper lead. Allow rig to roll, good chance i will find a dip in the bottom which rays like to sit in.... best suited to clean ground. As previously stated long snoods are recommended. And by that i mean 30 inch plus. Pulley or rigs like droppers which put the bait hard on the bottom. Best baits for this area ( Solent ) already covered. But tastes seem to change from one region to another.Oh! And just in case you think he seems to know what he's on about. This is stuff i have read up on. I am by no means an expert. Good luck fella.

Registered
I fish ogmore regular. 3-4ft pulleys or the up and over pulley. Bait wise a single sandeel or sandeel and squid wrap is best down there. Also 1st 3hrs up from low can be the best time for them and I find medium tides best. Don't go too light on your hook length either. Good luck!

Registered
3ft plus running ledger to a 6.0 hook, a few rag worm to catch some Pout, a slice of Pout for bait,
failing that Sandeel is next best, then Mackeral/Crab.

lighty

Registered
Hi ,

i've had a few on peeler or sandeel but i've caught most of my rays in Brittany on fresh sardine filets ... with the (very welcome!) surprise of a middle sized turbot now and then on the same bait!
Rig-wise , i agree with the others : 3ft/4ft snoods ; 2/0-4/0 hooks (single or pennel) ...

Gert

Registered
Would i be right in thinking this would be a rig used from a boat. When using just a sandeel from the beach i use hooks rangeing from 2/0-2/0 pennels to a single 3 or 4/0.
No mate, this is from the beach. I always use a running Ledger, weights..grips or plain,
and I always use a large hook, like a 6.0 so there is plenty of hook clear of the bait..40lb snoods
and the snood length as long as the conditions allow..at least 3ft, maybe 5ft/6ft+ if I am using a long rod
and the sea is not too rough.
I always use a large hook for rays as I find they are much easier to get out and the Rays
never seem to take a large hook down too far, mostly lip hooked if I get it right? so they can be put back undamaged
I return all rays now as I no longer eat them, and too heavy now to cart back up the cliffs where I fish.lol
Lots use pulley's where I fish and get there fair share of Rays, its a personal thing as the fish don't give a damn what end tackle you have,
but if you use the bait which they will feed on you are in with a chance, and also find the distance, area that they are feeding in, it may surprise you.

lighty

Registered
Bloody hell. I don't think i own a 6/0 hook.. Quite funny really i have always been concerned that 4/0's might put them off. Will get some and try it.
"Quite funny really i have always been concerned that 4/0's might put them off"

Mate, fish don't know what a hook is!

Thread a large Sandeel on a 4.0, run your hand down it (gently)
now thread it on a 6.0 and run your hand down it, which do you think has the best chance of hooking?

I have fished with a lot of people that use smaller hooks, they are always complaining of losing good fish?
but I do tend to use larger baits when applicable, best not tell the size of my Bass hooks..lol

lighty

Registered
Mackerel and squid cocktail does the business up my way,I like to fish it on a long and low clipped rig with a penel. The way I do it is to cut a chunk of mackerel just bigger than the penel, then the squid gets cut to the same with but leaving an extra 3-4" as a tail. Squid goes on to the flesh side off the mackerel and bound by elastic and the tail gets tapered into an almost V shape, one hook each side.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.