World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had time to purchase any squid, mackerel, etc. and there are no worms on the beach that I want to fish (at least not in any useful quantity). Are things like chicken and cows' liver any good, or am I ok to use lures of any sort? Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
This may sound a bit random BUT I keep a box or two of Dendrobena earth worms which will always catch flatties and eels although I have never tried them for winter species or bass but very useful as an excellent back up bait with 4 - 6 worms on a smaller hook. I use them on the Humber and a couple of other spots in Suffolk with success. For the cost of a £5 it is a bait that lasts a month or two just sat in the garage on the floor.
Phil

·
Registered
17,126 Posts
I haven't had time to purchase any squid, mackerel, etc. and there are no worms on the beach that I want to fish (at least not in any useful quantity). Are things like chicken and cows' liver any good, or am I ok to use lures of any sort? Thanks
Hi mate, there are worms on that beach, if you mean CM, in enough quantities to do a session.
But digging at the moment might be awkward as the beach is rammed with people, swimmers, kayakers and paddle boarders.

Which also means that daytime fishing off the sand is an absolute no no, you’d have zero chance of getting any fishing in amongst that lot, it is seriously rammed. A local kayak place hires them out and does tours, and at the moment what space isn’t used by swimmers is full of kayaks.

You could however try and make your way along the rocks and find a spot at low.
It’s not worth fishing the main beach at high tide, if you could even attempt it, but off the wall at Newberry promenade then is worth a shout.

I haven’t looked but one or two of the seaside shops might have a bit of frozen bait, you’d have to ask. Don’t waste your money on the preserved stuff.
Also tbh I wouldn’t waste your time with liver, bacon or whatever.
Go into Ilfracombe, assuming you have a car, and visit the tackle shop, High Street Tackle.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Frozen dirty squid catches any fish. Also live shrimp can be kept aerated in a bucket of sea water and you can put what you don,t use back in the sea.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
If you cant get to a tackle shop try you local Chinese supermarket, Most sell Squid ,Sardines and Prawns, That should be all you need .Just keep a few pound of Squid in your freezer and you can go at any time.

·
Registered
210 Posts
yeah even hit the supermarket for anything fishy - prawns, mackerel etc if desperate - but theres not "one bait for all" - it depends what you are targeting - you can also order frozen bait on line - including frozen lug worms, squid mackerel, etc

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
It's amazing how much bait you can get in the supermarket, Iceland is pretty good for all sorts of uncooked sea food, got two cracking mackerel from Morrisons - I live quite away from the coast so not always able to go out and catch fish, but as has already been said, you can order on line, which I would recommend if you cant get out in time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts