World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I currently fish with a Nemesis plus for the heavy stuff and an old zippy 2500lm for the lighter stuff. I want to sell these rods and upgrade to new/modern varieties.
Anybody give me some ideas on what to buy? I normally fish the old overhead thump, though I can pendulum a bit (crap really). I mostly fish the Welsh coast all year round. Where can I try out the new rods on the market? It's not like trying out a fly rod or such is it !
Lots of info there except i'm tight and on a typical limited budget Ha Ha!
So come on lads give me some ideas please.

F

·
0 Posts
I fish up in the north of Scotland i use a Penn Powergraph Surf 12' rod. I find it is great for rough stuff and yet has a sensitive enough tip for clean beaches. They are not the latest model from Penn (about 3 years old now) so you can pick them up new for £50 to £60. Also just picked up a immaculate condition Penn Exteme match rod for cleaner grounds for £56 on ebay. Depends on what you mean by a 'limited' budget.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
hi rocketman

the rods you have are both excellent rods,so why change them?if its to improve distance then it would be a lot cheaper to see a casting instructor,and if its because they are a bit "well used" then they can be rebuilt .i was lucky enough to find a zziplex 2500 ptx at a car boot sale and it is as tatty as hell but it casts like a dream and the fish cant tell the diference,and as it only cost £30 then i dont really care

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Totally agree. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Both your rods are classics and perfect for their jobs. Newer versions may be a tad lighter but as rods are in the rest 99% of the time is that a problem? It's up to you....

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think this question is a little difficult to answer as most anglers keep there rods for many years and dont really experience using different ones. I think your going to have to look at all the reviews by the lads on here and see what they say about their own setup.
Personally I use 2 Cono Flex Enigma South's matched with the Abu 6500C3 CT Elites, for all beach work, if the ground is a bit rougher then I switch to tha Diawa SL30SH'S

Bassing from the shore and float work is done with a £50 carp rod and a cheap fixed spool loaded with 20lb braid, i think that cost me about £25.

I remember some years ago a little lad fished with his family right next to me, he had a 5ft yellow glass fibre rod, the one's you get in a soveniere shop,anyway he pulled out a 2 1/2lb flounder right from under our feet. The rod nearly snapped in half.
Just goes to show .....it aint what you got, but where you put it that counts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry I'm late replying fellas. Thanks for all your views on the subject. After reading them I think I'll hang on to mine for a while longer. As you all seem to suggest 'they will do the business' and it may not be a bad idea to have a casting lesson or two.. Anybody willing to coach me ? Thanks again everyone.!!! :)

T

·
0 Posts
I use a carbon metal, found them nice to use, another very nice rod to use is the Penn Sidewinder

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
i use a penn sidewinder .its not just welcome on the ruff stuff , its great for claen beach work , im only 14 but i can cast it matched with a penn 525 mag 100 yrd no probs, i would definatly recommend it . and with it being 250 combo price ( thats with a 525 mag sidey)it aint that bad

i also fish and live ind wales-tenby 2 be precise.were abouts u at :mad: :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello guys,Thanks again for all the info and advice regarding best beachcasters. I live in Rhymney Valley area and if anyone living close by is willing to give my mate and I a casting lesson or two we would appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
sorry mate

i live on the east coast,its a bit too far to come otherwise i would have been happy to help.

is there a local club where you could get some help?most seem to have one or two casting fanatics and im sure they would help you out

·
Registered
119 Posts
Phone Garry evans tackle in cardiff and enquire about casting instructors.
I think Bradley Risenbrough works there and he may instruct for a small fee.
It will be well worth it.
I use a Kompressor Sport with a mag elite for clean ground and a penn supermag/shimano speedmaster for the rough.
The Kompressor is a beast of a rod with a cracking tip and after a few lessons with it you could be hitting 200yds.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
i use a shakespear summit 12ft beach caster,,(4-80z) with matching summit fixed spool reel,,Its a GOOD rod..not the most expensive,,but it does the trick,,im very happy with it,,

Ive only been fishing for about 6 months,,and ive learned to cast(my brother gave me a few helpful tips),,and am now confident casting a good distance..

Whereas before i would have been highly embarrest to even attempt casting if other people were around,,because basically i was s%@t.!

Heheheh

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again fellas. All the info I've had off you has been really helpful. I now have a contact for casting lessons in the Rhondda Valley. I'll let you know how I get on and if the instructor is any good. Hwyl.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Rocketman I could be that soldier . I live in Pontlottyn , have a good cast on me and would be willing to help .
Off the ground ,over head thump , fishermens cast and pendulum with fixed spool or multi doesn't realy matter .I'm shore i can help a bit . If your up for it send me a private mess .All we need is a big feild and an evening or two to get you sorted

·
Registered
287 Posts
Do you realy need my help Poacher ? yes no problem , but I think your cod total is alot hire than mine and every one elses this year but if you want we can meat fishing and have a few chucks on the beach or a few snaps off if you proffer . HEADS UP !!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts