World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this sea fishing lark and would like to throw some feathers at Mackerel this weekend. Where would be the best place to go to get some easy Mackerel?

Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
212 Posts
They're showing in numbers all over, hayling seafront on a high or sandy point over a low, as long as the weathers good and you can get a decent cast out (as they seem to be quite far out). Or Southsea pier early morning before everyone turns up.
Rich

·
Registered
182 Posts
last week you couldn't get a bait on the bottom at chesil for mackerel then they went missing again it's a bit hit and miss but there are some there, dusk is usually a good time, depends on how far you want to travel

·
Banned
1,206 Posts
Thanks guys, I am in Leatherhead so somewhere like Hayling Island would be handy
Hi cc1984, dont want to **ss on your fire but i wouldnt rush to hayling if i were you, Ive been trying there since may for mackrel and only had three in total, its bloody hard work:thumbdown it seems you got to travel miles for the mackrel this year unless you live down west:fishing:

Riki 79 did you try pagham for mackrel? any luck if so where abouts/tide time.
cheers steve

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am on holiday this week and have done a bit of fishing. Had good catches of Mackie from Seaford beach, Brighton Marina and Shoreham Harbour and West Arm. Worthing peir is also turning them up I understand so no need to rush down to Chesil just drop downthe A24 or A23/A27 and you should catch some if its sunny.
Had most success on a four hook set of Silver Tinsil Feathers.:idea:
Good Luck

·
Registered
212 Posts
Alright Steve, I can see what you're saying about hayling as I've been down there loads this year trying, but the last two times I've been out there they're been about I had 8 last time over low tide and could have taken a load but didnt need any more.

I didnt bother with pagham as it's my ladys due day today so needed to stay close, but I've got enough for a few dinners and bait for a couple of sessions.

It does look like they've eventually arrived though.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I am new to this sea fishing lark and would like to throw some feathers at Mackerel this weekend. Where would be the best place to go to get some easy Mackerel?

Any help appreciated!
..fill yer boots on the west arm at shoreham,...being caught by the bucket load on wednesday.....for those doing nothing else but mackie fishing ..,i wonder why some take so many ??!!...we were catching sole,bass,eel and bream in the evening and a few chucks for 16 mackie.....some guys musta had 40 plus.......foxy52

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've never understood that ether, maybe if you're getting them to stock up the freezer for the winter. If it's for eating then you might as well catch a few eat them fresh then catch some more when you want some more.

But I've seen people with hundreds before, it's nice catching them but I'd hate to think how many go to waste just because people just get overexcited.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Personally I'm sick of seeing what can only be termed "The Slaughter" of mackerel. I have no issues with people filling their freezers to stock up on bait but all too often I see the same faces day after day filling buckets, bags and even tackle boxes full fish - half of which are completely inedible by the end of the day having baked in the sun ungutted for several hours!
Not so many mackerel at Shoreham yesterday (thursday) but some good size ones on the float.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Personally I'm sick of seeing what can only be termed "The Slaughter" of mackerel. I have no issues with people filling their freezers to stock up on bait but all too often I see the same faces day after day filling buckets, bags and even tackle boxes full fish - half of which are completely inedible by the end of the day having baked in the sun ungutted for several hours!
Not so many mackerel at Shoreham yesterday (thursday) but some good size ones on the float.

I totally agree

I was down Weymouth with my brother last year and there was groups of people catching so many surely too many too keep ???

Whats more is that we got funny looks for catching them on carp rods (which was great as rods bent in half) but people were looking at us because we were putting them back in after keeping a couple for bait.

·
Registered
15 Posts
hi there ive had no probs catching them at seaford when ever ive gone in early eve, i usally go done about 8pm set up and wait for the shoals to come past can b between 5ft and 60 ft from shore line, even my sons have not blanked 12yrs and 7yrs find it great fun hooking into 3 ov them on tiny light rods, usally stay till well after dusk eveyone gone home by then and we r still pulling out, dont get me wrong from reading this i dont get greedy like some take wot ineed to eat/bait and thats all.

tightlines

baker boy

·
Registered
24 Posts
Seeing as this thread is talking about mackies, I thjought i would post a question here. I am just wondering if it matters whether it's high or low tide if I fished at Brighton Marina?

Also, what's the best way to preserve the mackies while I am still fishing so that they are still edible?

Sorry to Hijack this thread, I thought it was relivant.

Ryan.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm not sure about the marina but generally if you're fishing off structures you can catch throughout the tides, but generally around high tide will be best (but some places low tide is as productive)

Keeping them is easy, just keep them as cold as you can, so in an eski or coolbox with some ice, failing that a coolbox with fresh sea water, or bucket with sea water. Out of the sun. I do know some people who put line through the gills and put the fish back into the water so it keeps them alive, but this seems a bit creul to me. An eskis definately the easiest.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.