World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have tried a few braids and found that the breaking strain was a fair bit short of what it was claimed (Whiplash Pro 20lb broke as low as 9lb of steady pressure); consequently, the braid I am now using is 50lb test, which is still pretty thin compared to mono, but this breaks around 25lb of pressure:unsure: !

Any recommendations as to a "does what it says on the label" braid (with respects to diameter and breaking strain)?

Many thanks,

Shortcaster

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey, Shortcaster. I am wondering what kind of knots you use with the braid? Perhaps low breaking strenght is caused by "bad" knots...

Anyway, Power Pro is the best braid I have ever tested, and it keeps its promises.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Im using PowerPro not sure of the diametre but it is top quality line and I have not had one failure in the year I have been using it. I think it is of the same size as a 6lb mono line. Have a look at the link below for a guide to braid.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/dave03.htm

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
thats a weird one short caster, I use 50 - 65lb berkley whiplash pro and it is the shockleder that usually fails at the knot.
If I fish snaggy areas I stick on an escape link and get the whole lot back minus the lead if it snags.
Are you lubricating your knots enough? - a good dollop of spit does it for me.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Berkley Fireline is probably the toughest and longest casting braid. PowerPro is not far behind but has a little less knot strength. I'm using 30 lb of both for the heaviest applications, and if the bottom is snaggy I use a longer shock leader to take the abrasion against rocks. With braided line it's important to have a stiff shock leader, a soft mono will get cut much easier in the knot between braid and shock leader. The lower the diameter of the braid is, the easier it will cut.

I use a 10 turn UNI-knot on the braid and a simple overhand knot for the mono.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, guys! Yeah, all necessary lubrication, etc.; the "test" samples were tied with loops for a piece of wood and the weighing scales at either end, then steady pressure... and every time the braid broke in the middle (not at the loops!), and around half the suggested breaking strain:uhuh: . As I am using 50lb, it doesn't impact much on my fishing that it breaks at 22lb, I just wonder if I have a bad batch or if others had experienced the same as me. Perhaps I'll just switch brands.

Shortcaster

P.S. Nice to hear from you, Sharkey (thanks for your kind remarks:) ), pity you couldn't make it to Felixstowe, see you soon , maybe...

·
Registered
808 Posts
I tried whiplash at 20lb for beach fishing and found it just too thin and unreliable, even with a tapered leader I had problems. I then switched to 30lb and found that better although I still got some crack offs due to it being so limp. I then tried some dynon mct 3000 in the 30lb and found it superb, its a little thinner and a bit stiffer than whiplash but not quite as stiff as fireline. Its not as cheap as whiplash, especially if you look at some of the deals on e bay but it is worth paying the extra IMO.

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
Thanks for the replies, guys! Yeah, all necessary lubrication, etc.; the "test" samples were tied with loops for a piece of wood and the weighing scales at either end, then steady pressure... and every time the braid broke in the middle (not at the loops!), and around half the suggested breaking strain:uhuh: . As I am using 50lb, it doesn't impact much on my fishing that it breaks at 22lb, I just wonder if I have a bad batch or if others had experienced the same as me. Perhaps I'll just switch brands.

Shortcaster

P.S. Nice to hear from you, Sharkey (thanks for your kind remarks:) ), pity you couldn't make it to Felixstowe, see you soon , maybe...

tried breaking strain tests on different monos last night.they all consistently broke several pounds below stated breaking strain:g:

·
Registered
2,639 Posts

Shortcaster

"broke in the middle not at the loops" . That suggests you've got two bad batches of braid there, although when I have had bad braid it has broken at much less than half labelled b.s. But it may only have one or two weak spots in a full spool of braid.
If your Whiplash consistently (or at least, fairly often) breaks at 50% on several different samples maybe it has been damaged or it is a different type of "bad batch" than I have met. Or has been accidentally mis-labelled with a higher b.s.

·
Mussel Man
2,506 Posts
Send it back with a letter of complaint.... tell em you lost the fish of a lifetime, and are a member of every fishing forum known to man-(and woman)-kind,
and you are eagerly awaiting an explanation, before going public....

buuuut.... a big box of freebee's will hold your silence ;)

seriously, if its faulty, they will send you some goodies by way of apology.

give it a go :) he who's dares rodder's...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts