World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

WSF Primary Administrator.
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The usual suspects are the Patchinko for a modern'ish lure and for a bit further the Cordell PP but both are too noisy for me.

I want something that can be made to 'walk' or 'slide' and not a popper and up to around the 50g mark.

Please no mention of the 'Feed Popper' :yucky:

Registered
The usual suspects are the Patchinko for a modern'ish lure and for a bit further the Cordell PP but both are too noisy for me.

I want something that can be made to 'walk' or 'slide' and not a popper and up to around the 50g mark.

What about the Hart Top Water 135? 42g. Big lure, that can be made to splash, WTD, dart and make small dives if worked.
There are a few long casting Hart lures about that weight, at good prices, on WaveInn.

Read Only
That pro q 120 Nick can fly not pachinko distance and they dumpy in the air but they swim how u want and are silent need a rod with a little beef for them, acc is the one.

Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That pro q 120 Nick can fly not pachinko distance and they dumpy in the air but they swim how u want and are silent need a rod with a little beef for them, acc is the one.
Got one mate and I like it...

Registered
I've got the 120 in ACC and it looked good during its one and only outing last year (didn't catch anything though, but no news there).

I bought a 90 in TRB this year and have tried it in the bath.....looks really nice. Lots of flashes and nice slide, even in a five foot 'pool' Again, didn't catch anything on it.

Looking forward to using it this year.

Registered
Panic prey flys out there just as far as the lure it copied sorry ment inspired by lol. got a chatter beast lovely lure basic stick shape flys out there makes a fair old noise and is my fav lure at night, but if you dont like squid leave it alone because they home in on um like no other top water I know. Also picked up a lure called a water taxi a few weeks back its from fox is only small but for its size it goes a fair way.

Registered

without trying to shove anyone's noses out of joint...

Once a lure, any lure has an aerodynamic profile and enough dense 'weight', it's not really an issue of which lure casts further.

More an issue of who can cast which lure further.

This is where people get rod ratings all screwed up, and lines (not just diameter, but WEIGHT) and the biggest one, technique and power.

Power without technique is pointless regardless of the lure. Technique without power will give lovely casts, and sometimes further than power without technique.

What I rarely see, if ever see, is lure anglers outside of informed circles working a lures drop length. This is VITAL to wringing the performance from the rod and the caster.

On a tournament rod, there will be, a favoured 'drop' (the distance between tip and lure) before casting. There WILL be a sweet spot for ALL lures and yet these are sometimes, quite different, despite the sometimes similarity in design.

The CC is loud but it casts very well. What we do, is load the CC with a little oil as well. This adds weight and dampens the loudness.

What I'm saying is, I can take a 18g plain ICSF casting plug and in good conditions, hit 100 - 130 meters with a little assistance from the lightest winds. we cast those on 8lb line (or 0.25mm mono). So weight, isn't the only factor here.

As for line weight...

Well, believe me, lines all weigh differently and it REALLY affects your cast. If I was to load 0.25mm fluorocarbon onto to my 18g reel, I'd likely struggle to make 75 meters. Wet line (mono and saturated braid) weighs more too. This changes from brand to brand more than you'd ever imagine.

Look at the classic 4oz spool of mono and then look at the 'amount' of line you get for equal diameter, across brands. Not that you should trust line diameters and strengths anyway... Another story.

This is yet another reason, I always, without fail, treat my braids with varied products to aid performance. It's little things that all add up.

I would highly recommend, before you go off, any of you, buying the BEST casting lure, you in fact, first find the best casting lure for YOUR rod, line and technique. Get some lures and remove the hooks, go to a field and take measurements. What we do is apply a little PVC tape around the rod blank itself to mark where the drop for the lightest lure drop will be and, to the heaviest we cast on a new rod.

You will be surprised to know, the difference between a 14g topwater and a 30g one is often noticeable. Yet do not presume, the heaviest will always go the furthest.

Hope this helps.

Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Cordell lures are great casters and I can hit the correct area with them BUT they are just too loud in the very shallow water.

I have 3 that I am converting to a more refined UK spec as in finer wire hooks and a white/bone kinda colouring which is what I like on the mark this is all for.

I am going to inject some oil into the rear cavity to try and soften things up as the 'nasty' noise in 3'-5' of water is just not wanted.

Registered
Both Orion slider and sticker can go the distance. Used these for the past few years now with huge success, both silent topwaters and great in rough or calm seas.

Bass love them.

Read Only
Well myfish, that was interesting, I had to read it twice to understand it.
As for my recommendation Nick, it has to be the Asturie (150).

Registered
nick you could just take the rattles out of the cc and then just add
weight were you want it
or just put oil or resin inside .
i have some floating needles what might do the job to

Registered

salt skimmer.

Registered
nick you could just take the rattles out of the cc and then just add
weight were you want it
or just put oil or resin inside .
i have some floating needles what might do the job to
not enough line on my real for those ,they do fly well...and fish they catch.
u should start a production line.andy.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts