World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

I'm looking for what is (in my opinion) the best crab hook...!

I like to fish a wide gape short shank as top hook on a pennel as well. I like the shape of the mustad 496BB - the 'blue one' but seems to open out just a little too easily.

So what do you guys use when a little muscle is required?

thanks for your time

musky

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
I use either Mustad Big Guns or Tronix Big Dogs for hounds, you'll struggle to bend those out.
Thats not always an advantage over hound ground though (especially round here). Mantas and 79510s are the most popular crab hook in these parts...it would seem.
The Varivas Big Mouth has a few fans too. All good hooks.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Thats not always an advantage over hound ground though (especially round here). Mantas and 79510s are the most popular crab hook in these parts...it would seem.
The Varivas Big Mouth has a few fans too. All good hooks.
It all depends where you are fishing, hound venues round here, Selsey, Pagham and Ferring for example, are pretty clean ground and the fish are big, a hook with a bit of give in it is not what is required.

Me and my mate both had Manta's/big mouth's snap on us last week.

I've Probably had about 6o odd hounds to 17lb in the last week on Tronix Big Dogs, they're spot on for hounding in my area.

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
It all depends where you are fishing, hound venues round here, Selsey, Pagham and Ferring for example, are pretty clean ground and the fish are big, a hook with a bit of give in it is not what is required.

Me and my mate both had Manta's/big mouth's snap on us last week.

I've Probably had about 6o odd hounds to 17lb in the last week on Tronix Big Dogs, they're spot on for hounding in my area.
Well, theyre obviously working well for ya m8, thats a nice tally :thumbs:
Around here though (Aberthaw) it's almost essential to be able to pull out of a snag, as many rigs/leaders are lost to hook snags as lead snags due to the shallow water......worth it though when theyre in and feeding :yeah:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Well, theyre obviously working well for ya m8, thats a nice tally :thumbs:
Around here though (Aberthaw) it's almost essential to be able to pull out of a snag, as many rigs/leaders are lost to hook snags as lead snags due to the shallow water......worth it though when theyre in and feeding :yeah:
Do the fish not take your hooks then?! lol

I know what you mean and why you have to use springy hooks, just goes to show how anglers in different parts of the uk fish differently for the same species, what works for someone in one area may not be the best thing to advise to someone in another.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I used to use Sakuma Mantas for most fishing, but having had one or two snap, I changed to Manta Extras (or the Varivas equivalent) in 2/0 for crab baits, for hounds and rays. But they are still a forged hook and therefore more likely to break than bend. So on recommendation I am now using Kamasan B940 short shanks in 3/0 and 4/0 (they are smaller size for size). I am not scoring 60 hounds a week, nor even a season, but I am getting better hook-ups and better results. With the barb crushed, they are also easier to remove. And when it comes to strength, a wire hook that bends slightly will still hold, whereas a forged hook that snaps won't.

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
Viking 4/0
Strong with a bit of spring in them, and you can hone a point back on them if they are loose there on a rock.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Varivas Big Mouth standard is what I use in the boat and on the beach and they have been fine, if you want a rearly strong hook try the Big Mouth Extra, fishing crab for Hounds they are ideal

1 - 10 of 10 Posts