World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*I'm fairly new to the world of sea fishing and i was just wandering, in people's opinions, what the best line to use might be. At the minute my fishing buddy and I bought a cheap standard egg beater each with 25lb line on it. We would like to change it, so advice please people. Cheers.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I really like 20lb red gardiner surf for fishing over mixed ground. It casts really well, stands up to abrasion, and when you are snagged it breaks at the leader knot and not half way between your rod tip and leader like alot of lines!.
For clean ground fishing i'm down to the last of my orange ultima f1 in 15lb. A great casting line, but now they have gone under, i'll probably use the gardiner in 15lb. I also use a clear 80lb gardiner leader for both clean and rough ground fishing.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Suffix tritainium seems to get a lot of praise. I seem to remember a breaking point test a few years back in which it which came out on top. I keep meaning to try it myself but haven't got round to ordering some yet. I've used Daiwa sensor or tournament for a few years and I've got few complaints, the sensor is a bit more flexible but the tournament is a bit stiffer IMO. The Okuma brand of mono I've used too when I've not been able to get the Daiwa and it does the job too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
ultima f1 black 15 pound line,good strong line you can buy it in various spool sizes,did go out of business but now resurfacing,got no complaints and a nice strong thin diameter line.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,

imo as with most things difficult to answer as some guys will swear by product x and others will swear at product x.. basically what works for one guy someone else using same brand of rod / reel / line / hook etc had a bad experience

for a grinder or egg beater you should not experience dreaded birds nest or overruns so most makes of popular common brands should do but one day if you switch over to multiplier and not experience overruns then ultimas red ice is worth the investment.. been using it a while now after having tried all other brands for many years but this line is so smooth and casts so well its a joy to use.. couple it with a sl30 daiwa with brake blocks in it casts out of sight

a tip i read somewhere is to wet the line prior to putting it on reel ripj

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
all down to personal preference the people who have posted all say different, I think its trial and error, I used sukuma nite cystal this winter, was fine on the multis but twist rotten on the fixedspool .
but if you fish rough ground cheep line will do as you will use a lot of line. dawia black F1 I thought it was like fishing with pubic hair lol, think I will go for a cheep line this coming winter.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I bought a cheap standard egg beater each with 25lb line on it. We would like to change it, so advice please people. Cheers.
Especially if you're fishing over clean ground or anywhere with any significant amount of tide rip, scaling that down will be a big help. The heavier breaking strain stuff is good when you need the extra line diameter to absorb the punishment of rocks and pebbles.

If you're fishing over clean beaches, 12lb - 15lb breaking strain will catch less tide and enable you to fish shallow beaches as you can walk back further with more line on the spool.

Everyone has their favourites as said above, the two I use are Suffix Tritanium which has great breaking strain for it's low diameter or Daiwa tournament, Tritanium seems to be a little bit more supple and better value for money.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
As mentioned its personal preference, I used to use Sufix Tritanium and its really good line, in the last couple of months Ive gone over to Asso Hard Skin, its extremely abrasion resistant, casts brilliantly well (on a multi at least) and has decent knot strength (Ive moved over to a bimini twist and yucatan combination, have a look online for them). Its reasonably priced as well, couldnt recommend it highly enough, and Ive used it in Black and White, consider the black to be slightly better than the white

Hope that helps

Jim

·
Registered
8,678 Posts
I have recentley switched from sakuma nite crystal to rovex 10 x, apparentley its the same as tritinium, it feels good on first few outings.

·
Registered
273 Posts
all depends where you are fishing the most?

clean sandy beaches 15lb mainline,50-60 lb shock leader

semi-rough ground go upto 18-20lb mainline 60lb shock leader

rough ground 25 30 straight through.

I,m not going too tell you a brand or best colour.

personal choice,but check line diameter,ie 0.30-0.35-0.38

some of the more exspensive brands are thinner by a nats c**k

will it hamper your distance that much?, no

ade

1 - 17 of 17 Posts