World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where in the country would peeps reckon is the best shore fishing north, south, east, west, for general fish catching ............tony c

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Bristol channel has to be one of the best for catching specimen sized fish, maybe not the most varied for species but you can get some bait out of the freezer on a bright sunny afternoon and have a realistic chance of catching double figure rays of several species, smoothhounds, congers and cod (well in theory at least) depending on the time of year. Lower down the channel are tope and bull huss. Not to mention some very large sole and reasonable bass fishing in places

It also fishes pretty well through Jan/Feb/March when much of the fishing elsewhere dies completely

G

·
To be honest anywhere. You have to be knowledgeable and skilled.
I live in Dorset and for me I can real off marks for Rays, Conger, Bass, Flatties, monster Mullet, Bream, Tope, Smoothies, Cod, Wrasse, Pollack....
All to very substantial proportions from shore or boat. Stick me in the Bristol Channel and I'll catch fish, but won't stand much chance of getting a good one.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
To be honest anywhere. You have to be knowledgeable and skilled.
I live in Dorset and for me I can real off marks for Rays, Conger, Bass, Flatties, monster Mullet, Bream, Tope, Smoothies, Cod, Wrasse, Pollack....
All to very substantial proportions from shore or boat. Stick me in the Bristol Channel and I'll catch fish, but won't stand much chance of getting a good one.
Tom can i just correct you when you say "To be honest anywhere" can we just delete Blackpools summer shore fishing from the "anywhere" bit please

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are right there midas:mellow:..............tony c

G

·
Tom can i just correct you when you say "To be honest anywhere" can we just delete Blackpools summer shore fishing from the "anywhere" bit please
Ok nearly anywhere!!!!

We do have some very diverse fishing around our coastline, but it does take some knowledge and ability to get the most out of different spots.
I imagine somebody even knows how to catch a fish at Blackpool?

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Bristol channel..........
It also fishes pretty well through Jan/Feb/March when much of the fishing elsewhere dies completely
Well , my brother and a few of us booked a holiday flat in Minehead , in Jan (3rd-7th ish) .We went shore fishing , we were advised by the local tackle shop (well it was more of a kiosk) the one in the harbour . We fished the pier , Dunster, Blue Anchor a beach called the Gasworks and a place along the coast at Bossington . Total and utter [email protected] . We were lead to believe that thee would be "Good Fishing " . It was an experience if nothing else .:mellow:

To rub salt in the wound , the was a string of larger cod caught at home too . So , is the grass always greener ? :bye2:

·
Registered
821 Posts
Ok nearly anywhere!!!!

We do have some very diverse fishing around our coastline, but it does take some knowledge and ability to get the most out of different spots.
Yes Tom they do and there is actually believed to be a fish at Blackpool, trouble is no one knows whereabouts along the 7 mile stretch he is at the moment!!
:fish: :bye2::roll1:

Phil

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Scully...unlucky mate. TBH you didn't pick the best marks, particularly for the time of year. I sure if you had tried some of the LW reef marks a little futher up channel you would have done better

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
Well , my brother and a few of us booked a holiday flat in Minehead , in Jan (3rd-7th ish) .We went shore fishing , we were advised by the local tackle shop (well it was more of a kiosk) the one in the harbour . We fished the pier , Dunster, Blue Anchor a beach called the Gasworks and a place along the coast at Bossington . Total and utter [email protected] . We were lead to believe that thee would be "Good Fishing " . It was an experience if nothing else .:mellow:

To rub salt in the wound , the was a string of larger cod caught at home too . So , is the grass always greener ? :bye2:

if you blanked at bossington,can i ask one question.....how:unsure:
at that time of year you should catch loads,albeit mostly doggies:cc_surren

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Ok nearly anywhere!!!!

I once caught something at Blackpool beach but I wont go any further.:wah::wah:

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
if you blanked at bossington,can i ask one question.....how:unsure:
at that time of year you should catch loads,albeit mostly doggies:cc_surren
Wasn't just me mate , there was lads from as far up as Bristol who had come down and blanked :cc_surren

Drove down the Dodgy dirt road , bottomed the car out then virtually onto the beach .Then up the beach to the right heading for the foot of the cliffs .Very steep and pebbley.

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
must of just been a bad day.did 3 sessions there at the start of the year,with the worst producing 8 fish.personally though,find best fishing not quite as far as hurlstone point,but still past the freshwater lagoon.with low tides and night time the better,preferably moonless or overcast.it does fish well in an easterly as well:thumbs:
hope you did'nt lose too much tackle

1 - 16 of 16 Posts