World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Has to be a four turn Grinner Knot. It can be used for tying all the components on a rig quickly and easily. For shockleaders i personally use a Spider Hitch knot or the Blob knot. The Spider Hitch knot is the safer of the two, and i prefer it when fishing over ground where my rig may potentially snag. The only advantage of the Blob knot is that it is extremely quick and easy to tie, especially when out fishing.

·
Banned
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to add a seldom mentioned knot to the mix, I find the double surgeons loop very good for joining swivels to thick line.
Ah your the guy with the big ****. We discussed the great cod catch at Granton once remember?.
The bird with the guy is big too. :)

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
****just to be an awkward bugger****
maybe different knots for different lines
e.g. I like a three or four turn grinner (which= uni knot=nail knot, after it has "capsised" & tightened) on any thick (50lb +) trace/shockleader line and it is o.k. on (say) 20lb trace, but "Krystonite" brand specifically warns against it (they recommend the palomar for their fluoro-coated polyamide)

and of course different for different occasions
e.g. I may bother with a Bimini and San Diego (in the double) if fishing for a "fish of the holiday" somewhere but if just uptiding for ordinary-sized Codling, a uni-knot or (for the hook) "knotless knot" will do.

Yup - that's right - can't make my mind up...keep playing at it.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
The only advantage of the Blob knot is that it is extremely quick and easy to tie, especially when out fishing.
Unless it's howling a gale , as you can't get a lighter to work :lmao:

I use the blob for casting over grass & clean beaches, the spider hitch for rough ground as i don't use heavy mainline, but a very long leader.

·
Banned
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you cant go far wrong with a bimini twist out do most knots for strength

The original qestion was for a best knot for mono to attach a swivel or a hook.

But yes I suppose it does qualify on the swivel part.

A super knot and so easy to do on a rainy night on wet rocks at Usan up the east coast of Scotland in the dark. :)

·
Registered
25,678 Posts
I'm sitting here wiling the time away reading threads and making up another batch of 80 lb rig bodies with links swivels etc. and hook lengths in various strains and hook sizes using my grinner rig jig ( ties dead easy and allows full tightening of all the knots )

A week ago I was out with Fishing_Fanatic fishing some ledges about 30 feet up and I lost numerous shock leaders and the whole caboodle attached to them ( wrapping the main line around my arm and across my body ,walking back on the ledge ).
What surprised me was that the 30 lb line on to the 80 lb shock leader did not fail as such but that the shock leader thumb knot part of the six turn grinner tie up actually came undone .

My hook lengths were made from 30 lb mono , it is a tribute to the hook quality that the hooks didn't return straightened ( if that was the cause of the snag) Each time I lost the leader the six turn grinner was still perfectly in place and in form .

Just before everyone jumps in and shouts "Rotten Bottoms " I was experimenting with a few ideas.

Back home I made up a dozen shock leaders and made a clear blob knot on each end of the leader ..if the blob smells singed or is discoloured it has been too hot , introduce the heavy line from below the flame and do not put it in the flame as you get a few mm close to the base of the flame the blob will form .

I had a devil of a job getting the 80 lb line to stay in any small knot and a grinner of it was just too clumsy and big for the rod runners to accept when reeling in under load. I'll see how things perform after my next session out .

I have also made up 20 rotten bottom lengths of 15 mono using a figure of eight knot at each loop end.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I'm sitting here wiling the time away reading threads and making up another batch of 80 lb rig bodies with links swivels etc. and hook lengths in various strains and hook sizes using my grinner rig jig ( ties dead easy and allows full tightening of all the knots )

A week ago I was out with Fishing_Fanatic fishing some ledges about 30 feet up and I lost numerous shock leaders and the whole caboodle attached to them ( wrapping the main line around my arm and across my body ,walking back on the ledge ).
What surprised me was that the 30 lb line on to the 80 lb shock leader did not fail as such but that the shock leader thumb knot part of the six turn grinner tie up actually came undone .

My hook lengths were made from 30 lb mono , it is a tribute to the hook quality that the hooks didn't return straightened ( if that was the cause of the snag) Each time I lost the leader the six turn grinner was still perfectly in place and in form .

Just before everyone jumps in and shouts "Rotten Bottoms " I was experimenting with a few ideas.

Back home I made up a dozen shock leaders and made a clear blob knot on each end of the leader ..if the blob smells singed or is discoloured it has been too hot , introduce the heavy line from below the flame and do not put it in the flame as you get a few mm close to the base of the flame the blob will form .

I had a devil of a job getting the 80 lb line to stay in any small knot and a grinner of it was just too clumsy and big for the rod runners to accept when reeling in under load. I'll see how things perform after my next session out .

I have also made up 20 rotten bottom lengths of 15 mono using a figure of eight knot at each loop end.
I use shock leaders when required. I just hate the thought of leaving 10 metres of mono as well as a rig on the bottom after being snagged. The join between mainline and leader is nearly always the weakest point.

When shark fishing I have used 'wind-on ' leaders that have the mainline joined to the leader by a section of hollow Dacron - superglued.
Has anybody experimented with this for casting leaders?
Would give it a go myself if I could get the right diameter Dacron.

Being lazy I use tucked blood knots for almost every other purpose.

·
Banned
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I use shock leaders when required. I just hate the thought of leaving 10 metres of mono as well as a rig on the bottom after being snagged. The join between mainline and leader is nearly always the weakest point.

When shark fishing I have used 'wind-on ' leaders that have the mainline joined to the leader by a section of hollow Dacron - superglued.
Has anybody experimented with this for casting leaders?
Would give it a go myself if I could get the right diameter Dacron.

Being lazy I use tucked blood knots for almost every other purpose.
I have used it on Bonefish leaders for joining flyline to leader with no problems and used the for up to two weeks fishing every day with no problems, The stresses though in that application are different in a sraight pull. The stress of casting and turning over a leader on the end of a flyline day in day and day our, dragging it over sand, shell and coral out are considerable though.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I caught a big porbeagle on 55lb Dynon. I joined the Dynon to hollow dacron using a sewing needle to thread a doubled length of Dynon through one end of about 10'' of Dacron then out of the side of the Dacron and Uni- knotted around it.
The other end of the Dacron was fed over the 300lb leader, stretched to grip and superglued.
That was the first porbeagle I know of being caught on superbraid. At one point the shark was tailwalking and jumped clear of the water. Bit of a shock to all on board (one guy cried a fearful- MAKO) - but a good test of the knot/leader set up.

Really must work out the materials to do it with lighter gear.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts