World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering what the best knot to use just got 20lb line and tapered shock leader going to give it a go tonight as I usually use braid on my multiplier but looking at giving mono a go again :) thanks.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Was wondering what the best knot to use just got 20lb line and tapered shock leader going to give it a go tonight as I usually use braid on my multiplier but looking at giving mono a go again :) thanks.
I use a 6 turn grinner knot on either end of line when joining up two sections of mainline so it would be the same if i was joining tapered shock leader to my mainline . Just make sure you poke the line through the loop before you tighten up the first knot . Very slimline knot and doesn't collect weed , however i use the blob knot on my ordinary shock leader and tie my grinner knot around that , so i only ever use it if joining two lengths of mainline .

:unsure::secret::blink::fish::fishing:

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks worked a treat didn't catch out though was more interested in getting my new line lay on my reel proper why dose red ice get such a bad name I've never personally used it but it is cheep so could re spool after a hand full of sessions was going to get some but not after its bad review.

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
Thanks worked a treat didn't catch out though was more interested in getting my new line lay on my reel proper why dose red ice get such a bad name I've never personally used it but it is cheep so could re spool after a hand full of sessions was going to get some but not after its bad review.
red ice is brittle and crinkly. I prefer ultima f1 or suffix tritanium.

let the line argument commence ...

glad the knot worked ;)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Reactions: dougoclock

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
You can't beat the uni knot for simplicity and thats what counts on a windswept beach in the dark .... http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/double-uni-knot/The plus side is that you can use the double for lines of the same thickness such as tapered leader and the single (in combination with a single overhand on the heavy leader) for tying normal leader to mainline.It's amazing how many people talk fancy stuff and then revert to the simplest knots when they need to tie something on the beach and the flash one gets all too difficult. Simplicity becomes even more important when you need glasses for close up work .... I can personally vouch for that!

G

·
You can't beat the uni knot for simplicity and thats what counts on a windswept beach in the dark .... http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/double-uni-knot/The plus side is that you can use the double for lines of the same thickness such as tapered leader and the single (in combination with a single overhand on the heavy leader) for tying normal leader to mainline.It's amazing how many people talk fancy stuff and then revert to the simplest knots when they need to tie something on the beach and the flash one gets all too difficult. Simplicity becomes even more important when you need glasses for close up work .... I can personally vouch for that!
oh yes the beach is where reality kicks in and the warm living room or cosy shed is just not the same :thumbs:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Perhaps I should revise my advice..

Blood knot when in my front room.

Albright knot on nice still days on the beach.

Uni knot in gale force 4 or above.

Fortunately your choice of leader knot doesn't have to be a monogamous relationship, you can pick and choose depending on the circumstances.

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
Perhaps I should revise my advice..Blood knot when in my front room.Albright knot on nice still days on the beach.Uni knot in gale force 4 or above.Fortunately your choice of leader knot doesn't have to be a monogamous relationship, you can pick and choose depending on the circumstances.
Yes but the more you tie them the easier they become and the better a job you do of it ..... and if the uni knot was good enough when the wind is blowing and the sea is rough then it begs the question of what was wrong with it on the calm day? Choice of which leader knot to use is generally immaterial in my opinion .... its how well tied it is that makes the difference and the more regularly you tie them the better practiced you become. Most of them snap because they have sustained damage or are badly tied rather than a few percent extra knot strength.

·
Registered
307 Posts
For me it's all about the size of the knot rather than the strength.

All the knots mentioned will do a perfectly respectable job, but I find the slim profile of the blood knot passes through the eyes more easily.

As with most things discussed here, it's really a matter of preference, otherwise we'd all give the same answer.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Best thing to do is find a knot that works for you and stick to it for different weather applications. I use a back to back Uni knot on my tapered leaders for fixed spool and multiplier use. The knot is designed to be very neat with lines of similar diameter and the extra advantage is that the smaller knot will pass more easily through tip rings and generally picks up less weed clutter.

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
For me it's all about the size of the knot rather than the strength. All the knots mentioned will do a perfectly respectable job, but I find the slim profile of the blood knot passes through the eyes more easily. As with most things discussed here, it's really a matter of preference, otherwise we'd all give the same answer.
yes, each to their own ... but I can't honestly say I've ever noticed a difference between the profile any of the popular knots for joining two lengths of equal diameter line together so long as they are tied neatly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts